Refs asking Mike Evans for Autograph

Donuts and Doritos

4 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

How so?     Refs have a job to do.  They do it.    Opposing players have a job to do.  They do it.    All of it takes place on the field.    What happens off it is immaterial.

One is a show of sportsmanship and the other could imply bias that affects the integrity of the game. These autographs are like currency these days. Dude is paid plenty as it is.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

How so?     Refs have a job to do.  They do it.    Opposing players have a job to do.  They do it.    All of it takes place on the field.    What happens off it is immaterial.

Players might trade jerseys…what did the ref trade for Evans’s autograph? And don’t you think the ref might be somewhat less likely to call OPI (or more likely to call dpi) on Evans in the future? At a minimum, it’s a horrible look.

• Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I cannot believe these posts - somebody responded by saying, "if it happens off the field it is immaterial".  So if the ref is given money off the field is that immaterial?  In a sport where one call can turn the course of a game (Brady this year against Atlanta, Brady last year against Atlanta when the refs moved the ball forward for a first down) the refs need not only be fair and unbiased, they need to put themselves above even the mere possibility of impropriety.  Do I think the ref was helping out the Bucs today? No! - but that is not the point.  The referees need to be be aware of the optics to all fans so fans can believe the outcomes of all games are legitimate.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, bdomdbomb said:

I cannot believe these posts - somebody responded by saying, "if it happens off the field it is immaterial".  So if the ref is given money off the field is that immaterial?  In a sport where one call can turn the course of a game (Brady this year against Atlanta, Brady last year against Atlanta when the refs moved the ball forward for a first down) the refs need not only be fair and unbiased, they need to put themselves above even the mere possibility of impropriety.  Do I think the ref was helping out the Bucs today? No! - but that is not the point.  The referees need to be be aware of the optics to all fans so fans can believe the outcomes of all games are legitimate.

Exactly. And since this is now making its rounds on the internet, I'm sure this dude will get a call from the league to never do that again. If there's one thing Rodg hates its bad optics.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.