Any Realistic Guard Available at Trade Deadline?

Wizard

3 hours ago, unbillievable said:

Maybe the Browns can trade Wyatt Teller back to us.

Teller is inactive today, seems he has a recurring problem with "calf strain' [?achilles?].

Cleveland looks like they are headed for Salary Cap jail with Watson's contract.

They are fine, I would not be messing with the OLine continuity when Allen is facing the least pressure in the NFL and has only been sacked 8 times all year(yup, I don't credit the Chris Jones trip as a sack even tho it was counted)

Risner would be a UDFA at the end of the season. If you want one at the deadline it’s Eric McCoy of NO. Reason being he spent a lot of time at both guard and center in the NFL and could replace Morse. Cap number is $3.2 mill this year. Saints are in deep doo doo against cap and now they aren’t even close to contending they may finally take their medicine.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, artmalibu said:

Anyone have a clue when Ike will be ready?

An Achilles is a 9 - 12 month RTP.  Boettger went on IR Dec 27.  

Beane said he expected him to play “a good amount of football” but also that he’d “suffered a setback” at the start of the season.  

Basically we could see them starting a 3 week window for Boettger to come of PUP at any time (9 months being past) but I’m guessing he needs more than 9 months if that’s a minimum and he suffered a setback.  Maybe he starts to practice in a couple weeks, at the end of October?

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Seoulofstone said:

Risner would be a UDFA at the end of the season. If you want one at the deadline it’s Eric McCoy of NO. Reason being he spent a lot of time at both guard and center in the NFL and could replace Morse. Cap number is $3.2 mill this year. Saints are in deep doo doo against cap and now they aren’t even close to contending they may finally take their medicine.

I don’t think the Saints are gonna acknowledge they “aren’t even close to contending”.

Yeah, they’re 2-5, but they’re 1 game behind the leader/runner up in their division, who are both 3-4.

They’re apparently close to getting Jameis Winston and a bunch of other players back.  I think their viewpoint would be “a lot of football left to be played so we will keep our players thankyouverymuch”

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Seoulofstone said:

Correct on Risner. Last year of his rookie deal, they have Q Meinerz and Muti already lined up. There was also talk of trading him last offseason. So I was thinking it could be a reasonable draft pick (?). Get him here for a few games, see how it works. If it's good, and I would expect it would be, new deal and he replaces Saffold. 1 Guard spot filled long term.😁

14 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Thought Saffold played well against the Chiefs

He did. It was one of his better games. He played well on the opening night too. In between times there has been plenty of bad. And Bates just looks what he is. A career backup who is now a below average starter. 

I see Risner's name thrown around and I remember he was very popular on these boards leading up to that 2019 draft. He has been inconsistent as a pro, frankly, and he doesn't strike me as a huge upgrade. But his contract works, and one more defeat next week to Jacksonville would be the final nail in their season's coffin... so availability I think works... but I wouldn't be throwing a lot at them for him given he is a half season rental option. AJ Cann from Houston is the option I like. His hit is $2.8m but I think we'd only be on the hook for $1.5m of it. I see him as a solid vet option to upgrade Bates. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I don’t think the Saints are gonna acknowledge they “aren’t even close to contending”.

Yeah, they’re 2-5, but they’re 1 game behind the leader/runner up in their division, who are both 3-4.

They’re apparently close to getting Jameis Winston and a bunch of other players back.  I think their viewpoint would be “a lot of football left to be played so we will keep our players thankyouverymuch”

Im sure the Saints would agree with that. But even in a bad division what happens if they lose the next 2 weeks? They aren’t coming back from. 2-7 .

Unfortunately for them they are 54 mill over the cap next year. As had been said it’s pie in the sky to assume any team will give up a good guard mid season. Being in this bind gives a trading team the best chance. 

predictively though I doubt the Bills are looking to change their OL mid season.

Edited by Seoulofstone

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He did. It was one of his better games. He played well on the opening night too. In between times there has been plenty of bad. And Bates just looks what he is. A career backup who is now a below average starter. 

I see Risner's name thrown around and I remember he was very popular on these boards leading up to that 2019 draft. He has been inconsistent as a pro, frankly, and he doesn't strike me as a huge upgrade. But his contract works, and one more defeat next week to Jacksonville would be the final nail in their season's coffin... so availability I think works... but I wouldn't be throwing a lot at them for him given he is a half season rental option. AJ Cann from Houston is the option I like. His hit is $2.8m but I think we'd only be on the hook for $1.5m of it. I see him as a solid vet option to upgrade Bates. 

True about Risner being inconsistent, but from what I have been able to gather reading,  it sounds like it may have to do with scheme change more than his play? Seems he was drafted for Zone blocking but Denver switched to Gap in 20&21? Now back to Zone. Found this article which talks about it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/broncos/.amp/news/dalton-risner-player-profile-2022-outlook

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

True about Risner being inconsistent, but from what I have been able to gather reading,  it sounds like it may have to do with scheme change more than his play? Seems he was drafted for Zone blocking but Denver switched to Gap in 20&21? Now back to Zone. Found this article which talks about it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/broncos/.amp/news/dalton-risner-player-profile-2022-outlook

Don't think that can be it because I'd argue 2021 was his best year of the three.

4 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I read that too. I think he’s been a good player since drafting. Plus he’s friends with Morse.

20 hours ago, whorlnut said:

I’d love risner. Seems like a process guy through and through. Then again, we wouldn’t be talking about this if we had just taken Creed Humphrey instead of Carlos Basham or Dylan Parham instead of Bernard. 

The Bernard pick couldn’t have been a bigger waste of resources. Parham sitting right there and we take a LB who can’t get on the field instead of looking at protecting josh better not just for now but also the future. 

• Vomit 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.