Best Live Album

US Egg

I haven't seen anyone yet list

Unplugged in New York by Nirvana

I'm not a huge Nirvana fan or anything, but I can listen to this one any time. Legendary performance. The fact that they basically avoided all their hits and instead played covers by the Vaselines and Meat Puppets and David Bowie and Leadbelly, and that those are the best tracks on the album....awesome.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Bad Things said:

When I was a kid, my oldest brother had the greatest musical influence on me.

Here's another fantastic live album from back in the day.

A1T5XdTmbeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I agree (and I don't even like Lynyrd Skynyrd very much).

• Like (+1) 1

It mildly surprises me how many band names are being thrown out there, and I realize that I heard it all, but didn’t really like them. I liked what I liked, but just ignored so much main stream stuff.

I guess it helped me later on when we ran loosely in some R&R circles (strangely, but you’d need to meet my wife to understand). I didn’t know who some of these guys were, or care about their music. The lack of idolization meant we could just talk, person to person. An amateur musician buddy always wanted to join us, but he would have ruined it. To this day he will tell people we had dinner and partied with this guy and that. Others are amazed, and I don’t even recognize the names. I remember our close friends, and the others were just friends of friends, not the lead singer or drummer for this group or that. 

I liked most of the bands in the initial posts, then things kind of fell off for me. To each their own.  🤷‍♂️

Joni Mitchell - Shadows and Light

My main con: Many songs are not this different from her studio recordings and there is very little interaction with the audience.

My main pros: A) The musicians are first-rate; B) You can also have it on DVD or watch it on youtube (see below); C) It is just awesome -Joni makes very complicated songs accessible to a wider audience.

Edited by DrW

"If it's too loud, you're too old".  I've always gravitated towards hard/heavy rock and IMO not many live albums capture the concussive sound of a live show. I always thought Michael Schenker Group's Live at Budokan did - but maybe that's cuz back in the day we had massive speakers at the fraternity house. Just listened to this through earbuds and it didn't have the same gravitas.  Still think it captures the essence of so many shows I went to.

5 hours ago, Irv said:

Aerosmith - MTV Unplugged   (I can't find this anywhere on the web.  Anybody?)

MTV Unplugged was usually an excellent showing by those who appeared. 

Clapton, Nirvana and once Buffalo bar band- 10,000 Maniacs, come immediately to mind. 

Edited by I am the egg man

24 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

MTV Unplugged was usually an excellent showing by those who appeared. 

Clapton, WNY’s 10,000 Maniacs, Nirvana come immediately to mind. 

An arguably even better source is the German TV show "Rockpalast" that started in 1974 and continues to these days. The list of artists they recorded live is lengthy (google it). Initially (I do not remember for how long) they had Rockpalast Nights, a concert with several bands. Where else can you find Pete Townshend jamming with the Grateful Dead? I would also like to mention that the A/V quality of their shows was phenomenal for the time (the linked song was recorded more than 40 years ago) .

Edited by DrW
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DrW said:

An arguably even better source is the German TV show "Rockpalast" that started in 1974 and continues to these days. The list of artists they recorded live is lengthy (google it). Initially (I do not remember for how long) they had Rockpalast Nights, a concert with several bands. Where else can you find Pete Townshend jamming with the Grateful Dead? I would also like to mention that the A/V quality of their shows was phenomenal for the time (the linked song was recorded more than 40 years ago) .

That is killer. Thanks for posting!

48 minutes ago, DrW said:

Rockplaast is AWESOME!

And it just reminded me, if another live album yet to be mentioned. 

Roy Buchanan, Live Stock!

Here's a Rockpalast sample, not one from Live Stock:

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Irv said:

Aerosmith - MTV Unplugged   (I can't find this anywhere on the web.  Anybody?)

This one?

Or do you mean the whole album, not the video, since the album has some extra tracks?

Edited by Just Jack
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.