Best Live Album

US Egg

Can't believe I forgot these in my original submission:

Wings: Wings Over America

Queen: Live Killers

Aerosmith: Live! Bootleg

The Queen and Aerosmith albums were my introductions to each band.  My brother (six years my senior) had them on vinyl and we shared a bedroom, so I listened to what he listened to.

The Wings album was my own purchase (well, my parents bought it for me, anyway).  I became a Beatles/McCartney/Wings fan at around 8-years-old and got this album (three-album set) when I was about 10 in 1981.

• Like (+1) 1

For me, the best live albums should have an element that elevates the songs beyond the versions on studio albums. In some cases, there are longer jams which take you far away from the original song, but manage to return to it some five or ten minutes later. Best examples here are "Dark Star" on Grateful Dead's  Live/Dead or "The Low Spark of High-heeled Boys" on Traffic's "Live On The Road".

In other cases, it is the interaction with the audience that makes a live recording special. Unfortunately, often this interaction is left off the released album. This is why I like Frank Zappa's live albums, where he reacts to the audience. The prime example: The Helsinki Concerts (found on "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 2").  First, Zappa plans to play a Finnish tango (well, we are in Helsinki). His band has never played it before, but all of them are able to read sheet music. Thus, he asks for the lights to be left on so that they can play the piece.

Later in the concert, a somewhat inebriated member of the audience asks them to play "Whipping Post". Zappa, not familiar with the Allman Brothers' song, still modified the lyrics of "Montana" to include "whipping floss". Several years later, Zappa actually played a cover of "Whipping Post" in concerts; in Bobby Martin, his keyboard player at that time, he had found somebody able to sing the blues. 

Edited by DrW
  • Like (+1) 2

Many great mentions so far covering different eras and genras.

I  would add "Unleashed in the East" by Judas Priest as my favorite "live" metal album. Particularly love their live cover of "Diamonds and Rust". Always wondered what Joan thought of it. Lol

12 hours ago, LewPort71 said:

I forgot  this one

Renaissance       Live at Carnegie Hall

After seeing your post, I asked myself why I have never tried to go to a Renaissance concert, so I went to look to see if they might be touring.  Shockingly, they are in Homer,NY tomorrow.  I'm one hour away.  It's a great place to see a concert, as it is an old church.  I saw the Strawbs there and the sound was excellent.  Bad news, my car is being repaired.

For those out Albany way, they will be in Troy  Thursday night.

• Like (+1) 1

Cheap Trick - Live at Budokan

The Doors - Alive She Cried

Alison Krauss and Union Station - Live

Elvis Presley - Elvis 

U2 - Under A Blood Red Sky

Bob Marley And The Wailers - Live

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

Aerosmith - MTV Unplugged   (I can't find this anywhere on the web.  Anybody?)

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.