Best Live Album

US Egg

1 hour ago, T&C said:

Surprised at this take... I mean, do we really want every live album to sound just like the studio albums? The Eagles for example, what is the difference really and what would be the point of going when it all sounds the same. Sometimes raw is better imo... I love this one.

That's why Steely Dan live is flawed. Tight? Yes. Spontaneous? Not at all.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, T&C said:

Surprised at this take... I mean, do we really want every live album to sound just like the studio albums? The Eagles for example, what is the difference really and what would be the point of going when it all sounds the same. Sometimes raw is better imo... I love this one.

Where did you get the idea I wanted the live album to sound like the studio versions?  I never said that and certainly didn't mean to imply it.  I didn't like the BOC album because it was SLOPPY. The sound wasn't all that great, either. They were far better in actual concert, back then., IMO.

2 hours ago, Rico said:

That's why Steely Dan live is flawed. Tight? Yes. Spontaneous? Not at all.

Horrible take, IMO. Listen to the two new Live recordings from the 2019 tour (post Becker, RIP). They are very good, and most of the cuts don't sound like the studio versions to me. Different arrangements, different solos, etc.  Fagen has even scolded a player or two for playing note-for-note solos from the recordings.  Some of their "hits" have been completely rearranged for the live band.  Here's just one example:

But I do expect QUALITY musicianship and a tight band. And overall good sonic presentation. 

I would expect, if this version was released on  an official live album, the sound would be (should be) far superior

24 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Where did you get the idea I wanted the live album to sound like the studio versions?  I never said that and certainly didn't mean to imply it.  I didn't like the BOC album because it was SLOPPY. The sound wasn't all that great, either. They were far better in actual concert, back then., IMO.

I guess for you it would be considered a bootleg... can respect that take for sure. On a side note, its amazing how much the first 4 lp's go for now in excellent condition. 

8 minutes ago, T&C said:

I guess for you it would be considered a bootleg... can respect that take for sure. On a side note, its amazing how much the first 4 lp's go for now in excellent condition. 

Bootlegs tend to have poor sonic quality, no doubt. It's to be expected, IMO. Some more tolerable than others. Especially if there is something a little different/extra/special in the performance

But I have to say, if the band isn't tight, then I probably won't be a big fan. Then again, I'm not a big fan of bands that aren't tight live in person, or on recordings.  And just to be clear, a group like The Band, was what I'd call "loosely tight". It sounds loose, but the musicianship is as tight as can be. Gotta have a good rhythm section.

While not heavy on my current playlist, I do still love the first three BOC albums.  The 4th is OK for me too. After that, no thanks. Though there may be some later albums I haven't heard.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Bootlegs tend to have poor sonic quality, no doubt. It's to be expected, IMO. Some more tolerable than others. Especially if there is something a little different/extra/special in the performance

But I have to say, if the band isn't tight, then I probably won't be a big fan. Then again, I'm not a big fan of bands that aren't tight live in person, or on recordings.  And just to be clear, a group like The Band, was what I'd call "loosely tight". It sounds loose, but the musicianship is as tight as can be. Gotta have a good rhythm section.

While not heavy on my current playlist, I do still love the first three BOC albums.  The 4th is OK for me too. After that, no thanks. Though there may be some later albums I haven't heard.

Yeah... didn't really care for them after 76 either. My buddy had on your feet or.. on an 8-track so we kind of bonded with it. Either way, there was no denying Donald Roeser. He killed it on that live album. When it comes to music I don't expect perfect but something nice to listen to.

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

Horrible take, IMO. Listen to the two new Live recordings from the 2019 tour (post Becker, RIP). They are very good, and most of the cuts don't sound like the studio versions to me. Different arrangements, different solos, etc.  Fagen has even scolded a player or two for playing note-for-note solos from the recordings.  Some of their "hits" have been completely rearranged for the live band.  Here's just one example:

But I do expect QUALITY musicianship and a tight band. And overall good sonic presentation. 

I would expect, if this version was released on  an official live album, the sound would be (should be) far superior

There's no way I want to find out, but I believe that if you compared that performance to other performances of that song on that tour, they would be note-for-note identical.

Edited by Rico

1 minute ago, Rico said:

There's no way I want to find out, but I believe that if you compared that performance to other performances on that tour, they would be identical.

I have seen them twice on the same tour only once, I think. Of course the songs sound remarkably similar, from show to show, but the solos are improvised and vary. If you are paying close attention you can hear that. 

I think of SD the way I think of Duke Ellington. Solo improvisations inside of tight compositions.  And here, "compositions" is the key word, I think. You might notice band stands, with the music sheets on them, for many in the band. They aren't just freelancing a "tune" or doing a jamband thing. Too many complicated chord/time signature changes in the music. They aren't as locked in as a symphony orchestra, but far more than a garage band. Their biggest influences are jazz and old school R&B.  Duke Ellington meets Ray Charles. Gotta have a great rhythm section that can play funk.

I'd have mentioned Snarky Puppy's live in the studio albums, but I didn't think that was really in the spirit of this discussion.  But still:

Can't believe I forgot this:

Too Late to Stop Now, Van Morrison

I'd also consider A Night in San Francisco. But I'm biased as I was at one of the two shows they recorded for that album.

• Like (+1) 3

14 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

There's your answer.  I was about to type this.

Not even close!

I have the fat 2 disc CD with thick booklet of info in it, and I sit down and listen to the music while reading the book now and again.  

The 5 or 6 minute jam session within "My Generation" alone is phenomenal.

That was The Who at the top of their game.

I love a metric *****-ton of music made before and after, and imho that version of 'My Generation' is the pinnacle of the entirety of rock music- I've just never heard anything else soar quite that high. The build, the pinnacle, the plunge off the cliff   Entwistle Moon pure gorgeous ferocity.  Chilling.  

I have a couple playing copies and a sealed original press... so I guess I'm a fan of the album haha

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.