Genesis of your screen name

AlfaBill

20 hours ago, Gugny said:

Shooting the sh!t with all the pricks here on TBD helped keep me sane through all of that, to be honest.

This dysfunctional TBD family definitely reminds me of home and the family I still have in the Buffalo area. It has served as a touchstone for me as well during challenging times. Glad to hear you’re on the other side and are in a good place… ya prick. 🤣

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/22/2022 at 10:16 AM, Shaw66 said:

I discovered Bills fan forums in 2005.  I wanted a name that reflected the era I became a Bills fan, and I wanted a name that would remind some fans, and educate others, about the greatness of that era.   Billy Shaw wasn't my favorite player or anything like that, but I decided he would be best because his career in pro football spanned pretty much the entire AFL era, and because of his class and football excellence. 

It didn't occur to me at the time to ask permission to use his name and number, because at the time it didn't occur to me that I would write all the stuff I've written over the years. 

Only player in the Pro Football Hall of Fame who never played a down in the NFL.   You want to improve the Bills' running game?   Get another Billy Shaw.  

Very thoughtful Shaw. Miss your write  ups!

On 10/22/2022 at 10:25 AM, The Wiz said:

Family nickname. 

Every guy in my family has been called "wiz" or "wizy" at some point. 

Thought it was a Seinfeld reference 

On 10/22/2022 at 11:25 AM, JESSEFEFFER said:

My first name is Jeff.  Growing up my mom often called me Jesse.  I had a favorite uncle who was a WWII vet that fought in Italy.  He handled mules that carried ammunition packs to the frontlines.  He died in 2009 with some shrapnel still in his body that surgeons decided not to remove.  He was farmed out as a boy, spent time in the CCC during the Depression and spent most of his working career as carpenter.  For some reason he took Jesse and started calling me Jessefeffer.  I figured he earned the right to call me anything he wanted and every time that I see it, I think of him.  Thanks OP for giving me a reason post about him!

Wow. Great story. 

Have loved chess since I was a kid.  I made my first set by drawing pieces on paper and taping them onto checkers in a (successful) bid to guilt my dad into buying a real chess set.  Also had a fascination with red chess pieces as a historically alternate color.  Even more so after reading "Alice Through the Looking Glass" with the Red Queen.  Was originally going to roll with "The Red Knight", but that seemed cliche as all heck, so I went with "The Red King".  By the time I realized the name might come off as arrogant, it was too late, it had already stuck.

That's why my initial avatar here was a red crown (the typical symbol used in chess for the piece), but as noted above realized that could be seen as arrogant for anyone that missed the chess connection.  So I swapped to my current one.  Not the most exciting, but it works.  If I do swap it in the future, it'll be for something equally clear.

On 11/4/2022 at 3:12 PM, Gugny said:

I never really stopped and thought about my life in 2009 (when I joined here, like you) vs. my life in 2022 ... until I read your post just now.

While I've not moved at all, I've gone through multiple job changes, divorced, raised my son practically alone since 2017, and met someone great.  Shooting the sh!t with all the pricks here on TBD helped keep me sane through all of that, to be honest.

Glad to hear things are looking up for you! 

Cheers!

I'm happy you are where you are today. You deserve the best. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.