Genesis of your screen name

AlfaBill

the year was 1980 ... I was 11 had my aviators and riding the wild streets of Orchard Park on my Huffy Thunder Road with my pard'ner Jon, protecting our neighbors ("you're welcome Mrs. Weidemer!" 😉) from hooligans, exploding cars, and the occasional overturned tanker truck that would spill enormous amounts of liquid glue that could cause all kinds of mayhem throughout the community. Go Bills!

22 minutes ago, Coldfronts said:

My screen name was picked because I struggle with conviction. I rarely feel something so strongly to be true that it consumes my identity. Because of this I have developed a false self confidence of sorts. A voice in my head that tells me I am justified and correct when I finally do reach some level of conviction. I think the logic at work here is that if I am not easily convicted then I must only be convicted by something extraordinarily convincing. I say false confidence, but the truth is I trust this intuition and allow it to guide my actions regarding the “big” questions. Since most of my strongly held beliefs have taken a long time to form I am not ashamed to hold them once they reach maturity. I think this is a good thing. Another part of the way my mind works is that my convictions are subject to change. I think this is also a good thing. It feels to me that the Truth is never going to reveal itself to me as a whole so to get closer to the Truth my views should constantly be changing and adapting as more and more of the unreachable is revealed to me. Truth, I would say at this point in my life, is not entirely obtainable. However, I would also qualify this statement and say that it is every bit worth searching for. Which brings me to my main point. I do not write this to make an argument for why Truth is worth the search, that would be another topic I’d love to tackle and might at some point. No, I write this to explain primarily to myself where I am right now as far as my convictions and where those convictions are going to and coming

Deeper than this board can handle.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Been here since day 1 so many years ago...

Never been a big fan of online personas and thought it was sort of silly (remember  - this was like 1998 and I was online far less than today) so I picked something that sounded mysterious like from an old radio program.

I'm actually not a comic book/superhero person at all - the name has nothing to to with MCU.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Mine should be self-explanatory to anybody who hung around arcades in the early 90's.

To those who didn’t? Care to elaborate?

7 hours ago, PonyBoy said:

If I told you all, I would have to kill you. 😀

Stay golden 

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Mine's obviously self-explanatory 

Tribute to Brady I presume 

• Disagree 1

8 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

A few weeks back a forum member asked me about the meaning of my screen name. I thought it would be fun during this down time to perhaps share some back ground with each other. 

I’ll start, I am a big fan of the Italian car brand Alfa Romeo and of course our Bills. Pretty simple really I made portmanteau of the two. 

I hope I have to change mine in February. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

“It never ceases to amaze me: we all love ourselves more than other people, but care more about their opinions than our own.”

– Marcus Aurelius

One of the worlds greatest leaders. Pax Romanus 

2 minutes ago, Maybe Someday said:

I hope I have to change mine in February. 

What would you change it to??

I was mostly just serving as a maintenance man and minding my own business. This was in California, in Reseda, at South Spas, if anyone knows the area.

But this new kid from New Jersey lived in the building and started getting bullied. Long story short, after a Halloween incident, I decided to help him out by starting my own dojo and training him in the karate taught by my father (and his father before him). Hence the screen name. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I was mostly just serving as a maintenance man and minding my own business. This was in California, in Reseda, at South Spas, if anyone knows the area.

But this new kid from New Jersey lived in the building and started getting bullied. Long story short, after a Halloween incident, I decided to help him out by starting my own dojo and training him in the karate taught by my father (and his father before him). Hence the screen name. 

Sounds like a great idea for a movie franchise and tv show. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.