Genesis of your screen name

AlfaBill

My first name and first 3 letters of my last name.  When I started my first job at IBM in 1987 it was the userid given to me by my first manager (limit of 8 chars for the old IBM VM OS).  I've used some version of it for userids of all kinds ever since

• Like (+1) 1

This was actually a really fun read.. 
I used to be Spliffus or Spliffus Maximus I can’t remember on the BBMB.. I went generic on here just using my initials and part of my last name. 

However I have gotten a few private messages and comments over the years about the clown profile pic. 
Just a random Google image, I apologize if you hate clowns and have to see it. 

• Like (+1) 1

My name is taken from a character in a famous movie called "Titanic".   My character is a Spanish swashbuckler played by Leonardo DiCaprio who is searching for a six fingered man onboard an ocean liner only to fall in love with some rich chick instead.  It's your classic, boy meets girl, boy falls in love with girl, girl lets boy drown in the frozen north Atlantic story we've all seen a hundred times before.  Rather formulaic but worth a rental during a long bye week without football.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

My name is taken from a character in a famous movie called "Titanic".   My character is a Spanish swashbuckler played by Leonardo DiCaprio who is searching for a six fingered man onboard an ocean liner only to fall in love with some rich chick instead.  It's your classic, boy meets girl, boy falls in love with girl, boy drowns in the frozen north Atlantic story we've all seen a hundred times before.  Rather formulaic but worth a rental during a long bye week without football.

And all along I thought it was from The Pricess Bride. Sorry Jack.😱

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

My name is taken from a character in a famous movie called "Titanic".   My character is a Spanish swashbuckler played by Leonardo DiCaprio who is searching for a six fingered man onboard an ocean liner only to fall in love with some rich chick instead.  It's your classic, boy meets girl, boy falls in love with girl, boy drowns in the frozen north Atlantic story we've all seen a hundred times before.  Rather formulaic but worth a rental during a long bye week without football.

You keep using that name. I do not think it refers to the movie that you think it refers to.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

I'm old enough to actually remember when Pete Gogolak kicked for the Bills.  I currently live in St. Petersburg FL so there's the name.  The picture is from the 1965 Topps AFL series, which is a pretty sweet set.  It has Joe Namath's rookie card and a nice set of old time Bills (Kemp, Sestak, etc.) on a pink background of all colors.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I discovered Bills fan forums in 2005.  I wanted a name that reflected the era I became a Bills fan, and I wanted a name that would remind some fans, and educate others, about the greatness of that era.   Billy Shaw wasn't my favorite player or anything like that, but I decided he would be best because his career in pro football spanned pretty much the entire AFL era, and because of his class and football excellence. 

It didn't occur to me at the time to ask permission to use his name and number, because at the time it didn't occur to me that I would write all the stuff I've written over the years. 

Only player in the Pro Football Hall of Fame who never played a down in the NFL.   You want to improve the Bills' running game?   Get another Billy Shaw.  

I still remember the time one of our fellow posters thought you were Billy Shaw and got mad at another poster for not showing you the proper respect that a Bills icon deserves.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Great thread idea OP…

Mine came from business.  Had a business mentor when I was 22 years old who had a motivational poster of a wolf that said be the alpha, lead the pack or something like that on it.  So he used to always talk about that and to lead not follow…be your own boss…take charge of your life.  It was more about being accountable and an Alpha in your life than being an Alpha to others.  

A couple years later I got hired at a mortgage company when I was like 24 and we had 15 mortgage brokers in our office.  I’m 6’4” so people would often call me “big dog” because I’m tall.  

First full month I was there, the whole office closed 18 loans, and I closed 15 of them and the manager started calling me “Alpha Dog” (a play off “Big Dog”).  Second month I was there the whole office closed 16 loans and I closed 14 of them.  There was no third month there because I quit and opened my own mortgage company after those 2 months.  

I have been self employed ever since for past 20+ years.  But the nickname I liked because it brought me back to those early days with an early business mentor.  

So for a little while I started using the name “Alphadawg” as a web site login name for fantasy sports.  And created this account back then too.  Funny, haven’t used it as a login in a least 10+ years now, plus most sites now ask for your email instead of a handle anyway.  

But the name Alphadawg was always more of a homage to someone I saw as an early business mentor and business mentality.  My dad was my original business mentor and had by far the biggest impact on me, but this mentor came along like 4 years after my dad was murdered and just added more fuel to the fire my dad had already started.  

Funny thing is, I only worked for this mentor for like 6 months, but I learned a lot more than I realized then by being around him during that short stint.  Although, a lot of what I learned didn’t even become apparent to me until after I was gone and starting my own businesses.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Mine comes from a Jimmy Buffett song. I may live in WNY, but my heart/ mind is always in the tropics. The tunes lyrics pretty much sum it up! 

Gotta admit, I’m a bit disappointed it’s not a “Things to do in Denver when you’re dead” reference… maybe I’ll change my name to Critical Bill… 🤔

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.