Adding a RB

Stokes84

I've said this a couple times already. But the need for a RB is not to replace Devin Singletary or condemning Devin Singletary. He's a decent back. 

The need for trading for a RB has to do with the fact that you need more than one decent back. James Cook COULD become that guy in time. But right now he's not acclimating to the game as quickly as I expected. And Zack Moss is not a good change of pace back or the short yardage back we use him for. He puts together a decent Training Camp and Pre-Season than disappears when the real games happen.

Singletary can't be on the field every down. And if God forbid he gets injured, we're absolutely nowhere at RB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/21/2022 at 6:42 AM, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Still have Moss, Cook, Duke.

Each would cost a lot less than McCaffrey.  Can throw in Akers too, even if his stats have been traditionally pretty terrible. 

• Gibson - Fast which is a plus.  The minus is his YPC has gone down every year since his rookie year and he got benched for a rookie the first chance they got.  Something amiss here.
  • Montgomery - Sure handed, sort of boring.  Ran a 4.63 so... are we just trading for a Zack Moss who gets more touches?
  • Robinson - Also a 4.6+ guy.  Sure handed.  I'm not sure he's on the block though.   The jag's arent out of the division race by any means, hell there the only team in that division that has scored more points than they've given up.  Had the Achilles injury a year ago so he's probably a good fit for a timeshare.    
  • Akers - Meh, guy doesn't really pop to me.  2.6 yards per carry last year in the playoffs? Yuck.  

I would be.  

I get your point about Gibsons decline in production, but I think what’s off there might be Ron and the ownership. Of all the options Gibson too me is one of the best, I love his speed, size, and catching ability. Problem is also can we work a deal with that front office? 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Dr. Football said:

I get your point about Gibsons decline in production, but I think what’s off there might be Ron and the ownership. Of all the options Gibson too me is one of the best, I love his speed, size, and catching ability. Problem is also can we work a deal with that front office? 

I'm not offering much.  It's moss and a 5th for gibson and a 6th or something like that.  We have the cardinals 5th as well.  The fumbling issue is a big problem, and there sounds to be freelancing issues with regards to play execution.  He aint CMC, and It's a buy low type of situation.

3 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Bills fans, if it didn't happen by now it's not going to happen

Not so sure about that. It officially goes till next Tuesday and Beane strikes me as the kind of guy to wait it out to get good value and not give up too much capital.

Yes, he went all out for Miller but we're not getting a Miller now. It might be a decent role player but not a star.

12 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Bills fans, if it didn't happen by now it's not going to happen

I'm not giving up hope.  My preference is K Hunt.  The hope is Beane is playing it the way he does, not budging from his price (maybe a 5th).  Cleveland might be holding out trying to get more.  But if no one else goes to them they might come back to us.  

The competition looks to have dried up some.  SF is out, NYJ probably done now w the trade.  The only screw ball team I can think of is the Rams who just have a different view on the value of draft picks ,and were allegedly trying for McCaffery.  

• Like (+1) 1

With Zack Moss's snap count plummeting and him not playing in the KC game I am softening to the idea that Beane

just may get another RB.

I'm for it not only for the rest of this season but getting a player in that could stay for next season.

I will admit I don't care for Hunt.

Gibson or Hunt, we are trying to win a superbowl and need every advantage we can get.  3rd and 1 is a struggle and weakness for this team.  We don't want to be slamming Allen into the line all game to get short yardage.  It's an arms race at this point.  Gibson and OBJ would really tilt things in our favor.  KC is still going to be a bear in the playoffs.

4 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Could've drafted him instead of Moss. 

That's what my roommate reminded me of last night, but you can't expect Beane to be perfect 100% of the time. That being said, he's drafted well IMO. But this is a deal that could probably happen pretty cheap, he's not even starting for the Bears and they seem to really like Montgomery. I'd be fine with a 5th rounder for him, maybe a 4th. Will be interesting to see if Beane does anything, the deadline is a week from today. 

On 10/24/2022 at 11:03 AM, Einstein said:

“fine”

”okay”

”meh”

perfect words to describe singletary

Yeah like most of the backs in the league.  The Bills are not going to pay for an elite RB.  The only teams that do that are ones without an elite QB.

On 10/24/2022 at 11:25 AM, Nephilim17 said:

I wasn't a huge fan of Singletary before this year but I am pleasantly surprised at his improved burst and/or vision hitting the holes early.

Regarding his average, however, isn't it very possible it's inflated by playing with Josh Allen? Defenses are totally keying up for the pass and don't mind if Motor "gashes" them for almost five yards a carry.

Also: do you have confidence in Singletary for third and short and goal-line stands? I don't. And I don't want Josh running all the time.

I'm not against Singletary but I would be much more confident with a bigger-bodied back who's good at grinding out the tough short yards. And for not a lot of draft capital — I'm talking something like a sixth rounder. I just know that Moss ain't that short-yardage back.

I dont have confidence in our oline for that.  There are very few RBs in the league that I would have confidence in third and short/goaline carries with this oline.  They are that bad.

On 10/21/2022 at 9:21 AM, Stokes84 said:

Now that McCaffrey is off the market, I think it’s time to get serious about adding a RB.  A lot of people think it’s about replacing or upgrading Singletary, but to me, it’s about making sure we have the horses to win a game like we lost vs. New England last year. If we lose in the playoffs because the wind is gusting 50 mph in January and we can’t pass the ball, we are going to be kicking ourselves for not bolstering this position.  

A couple of options that might be worth exploring:

Antonio Gibson

David Montgomery

James Robinson

I think each could be available for a mid-round pick, and imo it would be totally worth it.

I'm going to say, if we had any of our past 27 quarterbacks, Devin Singletary would be on his way to a 1400 yard season. The guy hasn't been fed the ball enough to rack up yards for obvious reasons. 

I felt like you pre draft, but can you really argue that Devin hasn't produced with the limited touches he gets?

On 10/24/2022 at 5:50 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

I've said this a couple times already. But the need for a RB is not to replace Devin Singletary or condemning Devin Singletary. He's a decent back. 

The need for trading for a RB has to do with the fact that you need more than one decent back. James Cook COULD become that guy in time. But right now he's not acclimating to the game as quickly as I expected. And Zack Moss is not a good change of pace back or the short yardage back we use him for. He puts together a decent Training Camp and Pre-Season than disappears when the real games happen.

Singletary can't be on the field every down. And if God forbid he gets injured, we're absolutely nowhere at RB.

The comment above is important. A lot of people who still want a good back aren't saying don't give Devin touches. We need more than one decent back. And I for one want a change of pace back with more bulk than Devin.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.