Adding a RB

Stokes84

33 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

We knew that going into the season.  It's not like Beane just woke up at the bye week and realized our backs are Motor, Moss, and Cook.  Unless one of them gets hurt and we're down to two, I think it's panic over nothing.

And for the record, I'm all in favor of Cook getting more touches now, and if something happens to motor, him being the #1.

There's more to it than just giving cook more catches,  pass protection and blocking is a big part of the assignment and if he can't do that well enough yet, he absolutely cannot be on the field any more than he is. If I have to explain why this is the case....

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We don't hand him the ball inside the red zone because Dorsey knows it's a wasted down. He should have scored against the Chiefs but doesn't have enough burst to get into the endzone. We're 6 games into the season and we have exactly 1 rushing TD from a player not named Josh Allen, and it just so happens that that TD was from our one RB with burst. I don't think that statistic can be excused away. I appreciate what Singletary does for us between the 20s but there a lot of opportunities being left on the field. It's natural for fans to want the position to be upgraded.

Wait, so you're claiming Dorsey knows it's a wasted down when we've only even tried to run it with our backs 4 times in 6 games inside the 10 and 9 times total in the red zone?

Yeah, I'm not buying that at all.

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

There's more to it than just giving cook more catches,  pass protection and blocking is a big part of the assignment and if he can't do that well enough yet, he absolutely cannot be on the field any more than he is. If I have to explain why this is the case....

With the few touches he gets a game, let's not be claiming he's downright awful at those things either and the only way he's going to grow and get experience is to get more touches.

Edited by Billz4ever

3 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Wait, so you're claiming Dorsey knows it's a wasted down when we've only even tried to run it with our backs 4 times in 6 games inside the 10 and 9 times total in the red zone?

Sure. We handed it to Singletary on 1st and goal from the 10, the blocking was there and he still got stopped at the 3-4 yard line. That drive ended with 0 points.

2 hours ago, Stokes84 said:

Now that McCaffrey is off the market, I think it’s time to get serious about adding a RB.  A lot of people think it’s about replacing or upgrading Singletary, but to me, it’s about making sure we have the horses to win a game like we lost vs. New England last year. If we lose in the playoffs because the wind is gusting 50 mph in January and we can’t pass the ball, we are going to be kicking ourselves for not bolstering this position.  

A couple of options that might be worth exploring:

Antonio Gibson

David Montgomery

James Robinson

I think each could be available for a mid-round pick, and imo it would be totally worth it.

You mean like beefing up a DL so that they don't have to sell out to stop the run and ultimately get gashed for a 60+ yd TD run every game... ✔️

18 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Sure. We handed it to Singletary on 1st and goal from the 10, the blocking was there and he still got stopped at the 3-4 yard line. That drive ended with 0 points.

So he got 7 yards on a first and 10 and you're complaining?  Why didn't he get it again?...and how is it his fault we got no points that drive if he didn't get the ball again? Allen threw 3 straight incompletions with the turf monster tripping McK on 4th down and you're blaming motor for not scoring?  LMAO

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Stokes84 said:

Now that McCaffrey is off the market, I think it’s time to get serious about adding a RB.  A lot of people think it’s about replacing or upgrading Singletary, but to me, it’s about making sure we have the horses to win a game like we lost vs. New England last year. If we lose in the playoffs because the wind is gusting 50 mph in January and we can’t pass the ball, we are going to be kicking ourselves for not bolstering this position.  

A couple of options that might be worth exploring:

Antonio Gibson

David Montgomery

James Robinson

I think each could be available for a mid-round pick, and imo it would be totally worth it.

We did not lose that NE game because we couldn’t run the ball.  We lost that game because Daboll thought it was best throw the whole game instead of running the ball.  And we also lost because our undersized DL couldn’t stop the run.  

I don’t get why people don’t seem to understand about how you can’t run the ball if you don’t actually run the ball. 

When we focus on involving the run game, we run successfully.  We just don’t run the ball because we Josh Allen is just carving up the NFL.  He’s on pace for the greatest season ever for a QB and utterly shattering the current NFL record by 800 yards right now.

That being said:  Moss sucks.  So if they added another RB as insurance against a Devin injury, then fine.  But we don’t need to give up a solid to premium pick for a RB unless that person was a proven stud and significant upgrade to Devin.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Motor and Cook are the guys.  Moss is the mystery.  I get the feeling that during the stretch of "not so powerful" teams,

that Moss will get another look.  Not only for this season but the staff needs to know if he will play any significant

role for next season.  I'm not saying he will be RB1 but he will get more snaps along with Cook.  This makes sense and keeps

Motor fresh for later in the season.

If Moss struggles with his chances during these games, I can see a call-up or 2 from Duke Johnson to see how he fits in.

In my mind it's the best way to evaluate the teams RB needs this season and next. 

I hear all the talk about the playoffs and the RB situation, but I would like to say that is a lot of games away.  There is time for the OL

to work on its run blocking, Cook to get a bigger role and Moss and or Duke to get a chance to see who is RB3.

I'm a little confused as to the crisis some are seeing. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

Motor and Cook are the guys.  Moss is the mystery.  I get the feeling that during the stretch of "not so powerful" teams,

that Moss will get another look.  Not only for this season but the staff needs to know if he will play any significant

role for next season.  I'm not saying he will be RB1 but he will get more snaps along with Cook.  This makes sense and keeps

Motor fresh for later in the season.

If Moss struggles with his chances during these games, I can see a call-up or 2 from Duke Johnson to see how he fits in.

In my mind it's the best way to evaluate the teams RB needs this season and next. 

I hear all the talk about the playoffs and the RB situation, but I would like to say that is a lot of games away.  There is time for the OL

to work on its run blocking, Cook to get a bigger role and Moss and or Duke to get a chance to see who is RB3.

I'm a little confused as to the crisis some are seeing. 

The crisis some are seeing is because we didn't give up a first rounder or multiple picks like a scary amount of people here wanted and now CMC is a 49er instead of a Bill.  Panic mode activated. How will we survive? The season is over, lol.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eastport bills said:

Motor looked great against KC

Not really. What actually happened is that KC pulled back into a deep cover 2 shell for most of the 1st half. That coverage makes it easy to run the ball. Our run blocking was also the best it looked all year. Those two factors meant easy opportunities for Singletary. And good for him that he took advantage of those opportunities and forced KC to change their defensive game plan. But the truth is we could get a lot more from the running game if we had a RB with any kind of burst. That's why we drafted Cook in the 2nd round, Beane and the coaches know this.

I would absolutely love Singletary as a 2nd RB. As a workhorse he gives us a decent baseline but zero upside. I hope Cook figures it out soon. He's the kind of RB that could, in theory anyways, punish defenses for conceding the short areas of the field.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billz4ever said:

The crisis some are seeing is because we didn't give up a first rounder or multiple picks like a scary amount of people here wanted and now CMC is a 49er instead of a Bill.  Panic mode activated. How will we survive? The season is over, lol.

this is some of the people.  But I think others want a back to compliment Singletary either as someone to share the load, or a bruiser.  Doesn't need to be a stud like CMC, perhaps a short-yardage bruiser (that Moss was supposed to be).  I think Cook was supposed to be Singletary's eventual replacement, but he's not looking great.  

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Not really. What actually happened is that KC pulled back into a deep cover 2 shell for most of the 1st half. That coverage makes it easy to run the ball. Our run blocking was also the best it looked all year. Those two factors meant easy opportunities for Singletary. And good for him that he took advantage of those opportunities and forced KC to change their defensive game plan. But the truth is we could get a lot more from the running game if we had a RB with any kind of burst. That's why we drafted Cook in the 2nd round, Beane and the coaches know this.

I would absolutely love Singletary as a 2nd RB. As a workhorse he gives us a decent baseline but zero upside. I hope Cook figures it out soon. He's the kind of RB that could, in theory anyways, punish defenses for conceding the short areas of the field.

And?  That's when you should be running the ball and he averaged 5 yds/carry.  Apparently, not good enough.  And it's apparently not good enough when he gets 7 yards on 1st and 10, doesn't get the ball again, and it's his fault they don't score.

10 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

this is some of the people.  But I think others want a back to compliment Singletary either as someone to share the load, or a bruiser.  Doesn't need to be a stud like CMC, perhaps a short-yardage bruiser (that Moss was supposed to be).  I think Cook was supposed to be Singletary's eventual replacement, but he's not looking great.  

10 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I can’t disagree with your assessment but in fairness to Moss and Cook, they’re not getting a lot of touches.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't think Moss has what it takes.  Too bad.  I would like to see us add a quality power back.  

Montgomery for me.  He takes the Moss role.  Big, runs hard, catches the ball.  Also reputedly a very good character guy.  Would like him more than McCaffery even if they cost the same.  (Given history and fit - I understand McCaffery's high ceiling).  Love Motor, excited about Cook, and Montgomery would give us that high-quality big back.  ESPN says you should be able to get him for a 5th.  Maybe try to make it a conditional 5th, but 5th does not seem too steep.

6 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

I can’t disagree with your assessment but in fairness to Moss and Cook, they’re not getting a lot of touches.

Yes, and they shouldn't have during the opening stretch.

Cook has had 19 rushes for a 5.1 Y/A.  4 catches on 7 targets for 9.3 Y/R.  Yes, he dropped a couple and had a fumble on his first carry.

In the "old days" that's 1 game's usage.  He is going to get a lot more chances in the coming weeks like I said above.  The Bills

had to get through these tougher games with wins and they did.  Moss has had 17 rushes.

With a new OC and a new OL coach, we haven't seen what the run game can do yet.  Do fans seriously think these guys have been

working on 1st and goal from the 5 running plays?  They have been working on the passing game to win these early games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

SIngletary is 203 lb. Moss is 205 lb.

I'd feel better about having a guy who can push the pile on 3rd and inches who isn't outweighed by many safeties.

Singletary is doing much better this year than I expected — he's decisive and more explosive. But he's not a pile pusher.

Adding a guard I'm fully on board with but trading a 5th or 6th for veteran running back who is at least 220 lb and can get short yardage would be nice. 

Or we can keep giving it to Josh on third and short and pray for no wear and tear, let alone major injuries.

Edited by Nephilim17

3 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

People wanna hear what they wanna hear. Our RB depth stinks. If Singletary goes down, we are stuck with Moss, Cook, who isn't nor should be expected, to be a full time RB this quickly, and Duke Johnson who hasn't been relevant in 3 years. 

This team could use another back that can take some of the work off of Singletary so he's fresh down the stretch. I vouched for Gibson because we can probably get him for a 5. He comes from a dumpster fire of an organization and needs a fresh start. I was met with Singletary is better and what a dumb idea, when the idea was for him to come in and be our Running back 2, not to be our workhorse back. 

People are sleeping on Duke too much. He had 4.6 YPC last year (4.3 over his career) and has a ton of production in the passing game in prior years. He should be dressing over Moss already but they might be hedging against calling him up too often so they aren't forced to sign him to the 53 unless absolutely necessary.

I don't think any of the guys OP mentioned is worth the draft capital for the slight upgrade over Johnson.

48 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Singletary is the Bills' RB2, RB1 is Josh Allen, right?

A better run game is a nice to have at this point, not a necessity. If the Bills elevated Duke Johnson, as many have suggested, I would be good with that even if it meant waiving Moss. Antonio Gibson is interesting though. I wonder how willing Beane would be to trade with Washington after the McKissic incident. And I think Cook gets a few more opportunities. With weaker opponents on the horizon (at least on paper), that may present some opportunities for Cook to gain experience. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.