Why is Daryl Williams Still a Free Agent?

st pete gogolak

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I searched online. There is absolutely zero reference to any of this anywhere. If even the Internet can’t tell me that lie, then you can’t either.

I thought I read the same thing but I can't find the reference to it now... I think it was in a tweet of his or something?

Or maybe this is another Berenstain Bears tear in the matrix type deal. Yes, I spelled that right (even though I still say that it's Bearenstein). IF you haven't gone down that rabbit hole yet wait until you have some time free.

Edited by TheFunPolice

11 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I think you're onto something.

I've noticed Josh makes his pass protection look better than it is. Not only is he getting the ball out more quickly than ever before, he also moves in ways that strengthen the pocket instead of weakening it like many unaware quarterbacks do.

Josh rarely moves into a sack and he has that "up and down the ladder" move which seems to help his blockers.

I was really impressed with his work coming back from under center in KC.    I suspected that the reason they hadn't been using it was that Allen wasn't as comfortable turning his back to the defense as he is just being in shotgun.    But he looked great and had incredible presence back there.........if there was any heat he felt it and it looked instinctive.  

And to me.........if he can be comfortable under center they are just far more explosive.    Shotgun with spread looks are dink and dunk passing football and not ideal for running the football.    

While they rode that spread to success in the 2020 regular season it had proven to have exacted a toll on the receiving corps in the playoffs.

Then last year they got diminishing returns out of it.   The offense they ran late in the year last season worked but at the expense of a lot of hits to Allen.

THIS style of offense is the solution to all the other issues, IMO.    It improves the run game while opening up big pass plays and putting less wear and tear on Allen and his receivers by trading the small plays in for big plays.   Hopefully we keep seeing more of it but the fact that they can go back and forth between styles is the best of both.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I think you're onto something.

I've noticed Josh makes his pass protection look better than it is. Not only is he getting the ball out more quickly than ever before, he also moves in ways that strengthen the pocket instead of weakening it like many unaware quarterbacks do.

Josh rarely moves into a sack and he has that "up and down the ladder" move which seems to help his blockers.

In the KC game, if he hadn't been tripped, he was evading Chris Jones, and probably would have been able to get the pass off.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's true that he has not been sidelined with injury and that was a concern with him replacing Williams who missed no snaps in 19 games in 2022.

But Saffold has been individually awful.........one of the worst graded starters in the league.

He seemed to take a modest step forward against KC IMO but let's remember that the standard for the Bills OL isn't the horrible Cody Ford infested OL of last season..........it's the one that finished the season last year playing excellent all around with Bates in the lineup and Williams as starters.   

This Bills OL is getting good pass pro numbers but horrendous run block numbers.    Realistically they are somewhere in between both of those, IMO.   Allen has taken his game to another level with regard to pocket awareness and is getting the ball out quicker to make the pass pro seem better.........while until last game..........they have played a style of offense that makes their OL look much worse at run blocking than they really are.   

Who's grading?  Again pressure stats are saying awful is just not true (still assuming you agree OL is only as strong as weakest link).  I am comparing to last years numbers so for the moment my standard is overall play last year.  I can pull the individual games from last year from pro football reference in a bit.

I agree getting ball out quicker is helping.  But lol the pressure rate is half what it was last year.  I dont think a change in pocket time from 2.4 to 2.3 would have that much of an affect (some teams with the same pkt time as Bills have double the pressure rate), though there seems to be a correlation between pressure rate and pkt time.  Dont have time to throw metrics handy for allen but believes hes about average.    

Agree pin and pull is running style we need to employ, and the run blocking is not good enough.  But for me pass pro >>>> run blocking.

1 minute ago, BearNorth said:

In the KC game, if he hadn't been tripped, he was evading Chris Jones, and probably would have been able to get the pass off.

It sucks that counts as a sack in the stats...it was such BS.  Even with that counting, Allen has only been sacked 9 times in 6 games and his sack rate of 3.6% is the lowest of his career. His pressure rate of 12.5% is also the lowest of his career and tied with Brady for the lowest in the NFL this year.  

Bills are doing a masterful job at pass pro and at going max protect when needed to give him time(like on the TD to Davis last week against the Chiefs where they lined up Knox and Singletary on either side of him in the gun expecting a blitz)

1 minute ago, YattaOkasan said:

Who's grading?  Again pressure stats are saying awful is just not true (still assuming you agree OL is only as strong as weakest link).  I am comparing to last years numbers so for the moment my standard is overall play last year.  I can pull the individual games from last year from pro football reference in a bit.

I agree getting ball out quicker is helping.  But lol the pressure rate is half what it was last year.  I dont think a change in pocket time from 2.4 to 2.3 would have that much of an affect (some teams with the same pkt time as Bills have double the pressure rate), though there seems to be a correlation between pressure rate and pkt time.  Dont have time to throw metrics handy for allen but believes hes about average.    

Agree pin and pull is running style we need to employ, and the run blocking is not good enough.  But for me pass pro >>>> run blocking.

I wouldn't say that the OL is pass blocking great.......you are cherry picking just one stat with pressures.   Teams are telling the Bills what they think of their pass pro by blitzing Allen more than ever.........with a lot more success than expected after he basically carved up the blitz last year.    They've also struggled with instant pressure in the red zone.    After the McKenzie 4th down flop in the end zone Sunday they had scored a TD only once in 9 previous trips to the red zone.   That's terrible.   Pressures and sacks can largely be controlled by a great QB and OC being in tune...........and Allen is in the zone this season for sure.........I think to suggest that they are pass blocking great though is not the case,  IMO.   

9 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Only time I really saw pass pro having some real struggles this year was against the blitz in Miami in the heat.

At one point in the Miami game, the Bills’ offensive line consisted of Dawkins-Saffold-Mancz-Doyle-Quessenberry.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I wouldn't say that the OL is pass blocking great.......you are cherry picking just one stat with pressures.   Teams are telling the Bills what they think of their pass pro by blitzing Allen more than ever.........with a lot more success than expected after he basically carved up the blitz last year.    They've also struggled with instant pressure in the red zone.    After the McKenzie 4th down flop in the end zone Sunday they had scored a TD only once in 9 previous trips to the red zone.   That's terrible.   Pressures and sacks can largely be controlled by a great QB and OC being in tune...........and Allen is in the zone this season for sure.........I think to suggest that they are pass blocking great though is not the case,  IMO.   

Lol at cherry picking.  Would you like me to cherry pick sack % (3rd), hurry % (6th), or hit % (5th)?  They are top 10 in ALL metrics, hardly cherry picking.  

Blitzing: I dont understand your logic here.  It seems to be that cause teams think we are not great at pass pro we are getting blitzed more (true on more blitzing), but you dont disagree that the blitzing is NOT leading to pressures (or literally any other stat).  So I dont understand your point.  If anything it proves my point that were good at pass pro cause even though they are sending extra more often STILL all the pass pro metrics are good.  Lastly on this topic, I think teams are blitzing cause they have realized they can't sit back and play coverage.  Do you think KC blitzed caused they thought the OL couldnt block?  If so then why didnt they do that from the start of the game.  Rather, Allen was slicing and dicing them when they played coverage so I think they decided to throw the kitchen sink at him.  

Agree we have red zone struggles (and would agree if you think its likely cause of poor run blocking).  But what does instant pressure mean and how do you track it?  You seemingly just made this up.  As I said, we are poor in the red zone, but you fail to tie this to pass pro in any meaningful way other than "instant pressure." 

I get you dont think the pass blocking is great.  But to this point you have provided no evidence (other than a subjective grade of one player), while I have refuted all of your challenges to my assertion.  Im not saying everything is great with our team, but focus on something that is truly a problem please.

Edited by YattaOkasan

27 minutes ago, chongli said:

So he's retired but I'd take this as at least somewhat of a good sign if I were a team looking to sign him.   Means he's at least still being somewhat physically active and it's the kind of gig you can walk away from for 3-4 months if necessary.   Maybe with the time off $1M for a month of play gets him into pads late in the season for a desperate team.

I've had the same feeling about Williams as I did former Bills OT Corey Louchiey.   Louchiey was basically the first Spencer Brown.  Seemed like a massive draft steal with Pro Bowl talent.   But he became good friends with an in-law of mine and I learned how much he really hated the pain of playing football and that he just wanted to make enough money so he could quit as soon as possible.   It was both sad and comical hearing people calling WGR talking about how great they thought he was going to be for the next couple years.   And that's exactly what he did.   I really had to laugh when he actually got a second contract from the Falcons.......and true to script he never played a down on it and got paid for a couple seasons he didn't play and called it a career.:beer:

He's hung around football though.   He just didn't like playing it.   And I get that.

I didn't come close to playing pro sports but I played organized sports all year round for a very long time but really got sick of playing injured and dealing with that 12 months a year.    Loved sports but didn't miss not playing them very much when I stopped.   If I had access to PED's that I later found out were easily accessible while I was playing recreationally that would have certainly extended my tolerance if not hopefully my ability LOL.   But without that quick healing juice,  being injured 24-7-365 was annoying and unpleasant to me.   That tolerance and need to compete despite that is what separates players from observers though..........and maybe that's why a guy like Williams is good with being an observer/teacher despite still being in prime age as a player and plenty capable.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

The reason I like Daryl Williams is that he ended the seemingly never-ending nightmare of Jordan Mills being our starting RT.  Granted he was not great last year and fully expected him to be a cap casualty but I'm surprised he is still on the market.  For the right price, I think he would be a nice fit as backup guard/tackle, especially with Spencer Brown missing some time.  What's the deal?  Is he out of shape?  No longer interested in playing football?  There's got to be a reason he is unsigned.  

He probably would be a good option for O-line depth.

3 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

The reason I like Daryl Williams is that he ended the seemingly never-ending nightmare of Jordan Mills being our starting RT.  Granted he was not great last year and fully expected him to be a cap casualty but I'm surprised he is still on the market.  For the right price, I think he would be a nice fit as backup guard/tackle, especially with Spencer Brown missing some time.  What's the deal?  Is he out of shape?  No longer interested in playing football?  There's got to be a reason he is unsigned.  

He probably would be a good option for O-line depth.

8 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Lol at cherry picking.  Would you like me to cherry pick sack % (3rd), hurry % (6th), or hit % (5th)?  They are top 10 in ALL metrics, hardly cherry picking.  

Blitzing: I dont understand your logic here.  It seems to be that cause teams think we are not great at pass pro we are getting blitzed more (true on more blitzing), but you dont disagree that the blitzing is NOT leading to pressures (or literally any other stat).  So I dont understand your point.  If anything it proves my point that were good at pass pro cause even though they are sending extra more often STILL all the pass pro metrics are good.  Lastly on this topic, I think teams are blitzing cause they have realized they can't sit back and play coverage.  Do you think KC blitzed caused they thought the OL couldnt block?  If so then why didnt they do that from the start of the game.  Rather, Allen was slicing and dicing them when they played coverage so I think they decided to throw the kitchen sink at him.  

Agree we have red zone struggles (and would agree if you think its likely cause of poor run blocking).  But what does instant pressure mean and how do you track it?  You seemingly just made this up.  As I said, we are poor in the red zone, but you fail to tie this to pass pro in any meaningful way other than "instant pressure." 

I get you dont think the pass blocking is great.  But to this point you have provided no evidence (other than a subjective grade of one player), while I have refuted all of your challenges to my assertion.  Im not saying everything is great with our team, but focus on something that is truly a problem please.

Yeah cherry picking.

They were also BY FAR the worst run block win-rate team in the NFL coming into the Chiefs game.

So to say they have been a notably improved OL statistically is a highly subjective opinion. :lol:

The reality is that Allen is playing at a different level this season.........he's getting the ball out much quicker and creating more separation from the rushers that are getting thru with an improved presence/awareness of the rush.   There has also been a more concerted effort to contain Allen in the pocket,  encouraging him to make short, low trajectory throws and knock those passes down.   Couple that with red zone issues caused mostly by pressure/penetration,  and the turnovers,  and you have a 17 point offensive performance and two low 20 point performances.    

Conversely, the OL was getting judged far too harshly in the run game,  IMO.    And they proved me right last Sunday when they were put in better position to do the job on the ground and did it.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

There's nothing athletic about Saffold. 

He is in incredible shape for an OL his age and was once very athletic............but has looked slow-twitch this season.

If he were younger,  like Williams last season,  I'd expect him to round into form in the same way.    The opposite is more of a concern.......that he could tire.  Though he was better on Sunday than probably any game prior, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah cherry picking.

They were also BY FAR the worst run block win-rate team in the NFL coming into the Chiefs game.

So to say they have been a notably improved OL statistically is a highly subjective opinion. :lol:

The reality is that Allen is playing at a different level this season.........he's getting the ball out much quicker and creating more separation from the rushers that are getting thru with an improved presence/awareness of the rush.   There has also been a more concerted effort to contain Allen in the pocket,  encouraging him to make short, low trajectory throws and knock those passes down.   Couple that with red zone issues caused mostly by pressure/penetration,  and the turnovers,  and you have a 17 point offensive performance and two low 20 point performances.    

Conversely, the OL was getting judged far too harshly in the run game,  IMO.    And they proved me right last Sunday when they were put in better position to do the job on the ground and did it.

lol at STILL calling it cherry picking, i literally did every pass rush metric.  How is using ALL the data cherry picking. 

i have focused entirely on pass pro so not sure what your 2nd and third lines are saying

Agree Allen is playing at a different level.  So is Tremaine (I know your favorite).  For both I think the play of the line in front of them is part of the story.  

From you I think this is as much of an agreement as I'll get when your priors are not immediately confirmed.  

58 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So he's retired but I'd take this as at least somewhat of a good sign if I were a team looking to sign him.   Means he's at least still being somewhat physically active

He's under 300 lb. now, but could get back to playing weight fast I suppose:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cj25xFGgF4b/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

"I have not been under 300lbs since high school. The hard work that I’ve put in with the best fitness trainer in Denton County @neuraletics_llc has pushed me, kept me focused, and guided me on my weight loss journey since day 1! I am very grateful for his dedication, professionalism, and creativity when it comes to training me. If you’re looking for someone to help you on your speed, agility, strength, or to get in shape, hit my guy up Ro!"

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.