Khalil Shakir is just warming up..

Chandler#81

15 minutes ago, hemma said:

I’m with you on OL, but may need to also slip in a fairly high WR pick.

Gabe Davis is a UFA in 2024 and it may be real tough to hold onto him.  He looks like a $15 mill per year + guy to me.

Yeah I should have added that same thing and agree.  First few rounds should likely be OL with a good WR I. 1-3.  So many of the great teams, including the ones that beat us in the early 90’s, did so with monstrously good OL’s.  We need to improve quite a bit there with top guys.

Edited by Aurelius
  • Like (+1) 1

On 10/21/2022 at 9:27 AM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

As long as the Bills coaching staff decides to play him. 

We've got a history of not letting rookies outshine old veterans. 

I agree with you.  McKenzie had a bad game against the Chiefs and Shakir keeps making plays.  I don't think the coaches can ignore it.  The Bills need a reliable 3rd WR.  McKenzie flashes at times but can he be that guy?  I dunno.  Perhaps Shakir gets more snaps and they share that role.  Go with the hot hand so to speak.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

Yeah I should have added that same thing and agree.  First few rounds should likely be OL with a good WR I. 1-3.  So many of the great teams, including the ones that beat us in the early 90’s, did so with monstrously good OL’s.  We need to improve quite a bit there with top guys.

Based on Beane’s draft pattern, I’m expecting two OL drafted in the first 4 rounds. Plus a RB. 

15 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

For sure. I wonder how much of a role WR coach Chad Hall has had for us in terms of the draft and drafting guys like Gabe Davis and Khalil Shakir? He truly does seem to be an up and comer as far as coaches are concerned. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him end up as an OC one of these days, he’s done an incredible job for us.

I would hope the Bills learned their lesson about letting the WR coach pick the WR draft choice after the Zay Jones fiasco.

I'm sure after the playing season is done, Hall is asked to watch tape of and talk to possible draft targets the scouts have ID'd at the Sr Bowl and Combine, and that his input is weighed in.

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I would hope the Bills learned their lesson about letting the WR coach pick the WR draft choice after the Zay Jones fiasco.

I'm sure after the playing season is done, Hall is asked to watch tape of and talk to possible draft targets the scouts have ID'd at the Sr Bowl and Combine, and that his input is weighed in.

The main problem there was that that former WR coach was too close to the situation, having coached Zay the year before. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aurelius said:

I would definitely be ok with a heavy OL draft, but what teams really have monstrously good OL’s anymore?

Bengals and Chargers went hard to address the OL.  Chargers got bit by the injury bug and Bengals are a tire fire. 

Chiefs have allocated a ton of resources to the OL and Mahomes was under much more pressure against us than Allen was against them.  (I know our DL is better, but just pointing that out)

Eagles?  Maybe?

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

The main problem there was that that former WR coach was too close to the situation, having coached Zay the year before. 

Agreed, but I do think it's a general problem that coaches tend to evaluate the coaching when they look at the player.  It's only natural since when a player is in the building, the coach's job is to look for things they can coach up.   I think scouts are better trained to separate that out.

Edited by Beck Water

Vic Carruci of WGRZ (formerly of TBN) weighs in on the Shakir/McKenzie question in a "Mailbag" feature

Nelson Prata: Khalil Shakir should have more snaps than Isaiah McKenzie?

VC: Yes.  The rookie is steadily, and rapidly, proving that he merits a larger role in the offense. McKenzie’s repeated mistakes also could force that issue to a certain extent.

(He also says the Bills have no pressing needs including RB or OL and that OBJ doesn't make sense, so y'all might want to take those viewpoints into account when endorsing him)

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/21/2022 at 7:55 AM, Lost said:

Love the Shakir but I am still a bit skeptical of Beane's 2nd and 3rd round picks this year.   Time will tell.  Of course we can't nail every pick and so far we have an over performing 1st rounder, 5th and 6th rounder.  Not too shabby

I think Cook and Bernard are picks for next season, just like Elam and Benford.

Singletary, Edmunds, Dane Jackson are all UFAs this offseason.

Not saying Cook or Benford are locks as starters next season, but both guys will have 1 season in their respective systems.

Bernard does have 129 snaps played this year. 42 (11%) on defense and 87(62%) on special teams per Profootball Reference and Football Outsiders.

1 hour ago, RocCityRoller said:

I think Cook and Bernard are picks for next season, just like Elam and Benford.

Singletary, Edmunds, Dane Jackson are all UFAs this offseason.

Not saying Cook or Benford are locks as starters next season, but both guys will have 1 season in their respective systems.

Bernard does have 129 snaps played this year. 42 (11%) on defense and 87(62%) on special teams per Profootball Reference and Football Outsiders.

Dane is a RFA.

On 10/21/2022 at 12:41 AM, Chandler#81 said:

BBeane seemed frenzied on Draft day, dropping back multiple times. Then he moved UP TWENTY spots in Rd. 5 to grab him. 6 games in, Sean relies on him as a sure handed, wise punt returner. <read the last sentence again>😳 His savvy play belies a rookie WR and he’s seeing more playing time each game. He’s quick, smooth and gritty. Not just a willing blocker, he’s get quickly to his spot and will SMACK defenders, regardless of size disparity. He’s displayed excellent body control, fending off defenders to position himself to make catches, blindly toe taps the sideline and he’s earned Allen’s attention. <read the last sentence again> 😉

I love his No-nonsense, all business demeanor. The kid can play! I stand in awe of Beane’s drafting prowess as his staff continues to get raided, but the results continue to flourish.

Not to rehash the McKenzie drop as it has been beaten to death, but from those different angles with the blocking scheme involving Shakir, I changed my mind from it being Josh just creating something on the fly.

Looked like a designed play to McKenzie all the way and he just was not looking for it. Nice job by the rook blocking though.

Given all the talk after he was drafted i was expecting huge things but the first game set me back a bit which being a rookie i think he had to get up to speed but now he seems to have settled in a bit & if McKenzie keeps having games like he did last week Kalil could have a lot more playing time .

McD doesn't mind sitting a player & i was waiting for it last week but he didn't but that could change if Lil Dirty doesn't clean up his game !! 

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Vic Carruci of WGRZ (formerly of TBN) weighs in on the Shakir/McKenzie question in a "Mailbag" feature

(He also says the Bills have no pressing needs including RB or OL and that OBJ doesn't make sense, so y'all might want to take those viewpoints into account when endorsing him)

I mean........those are just his opinions.   He lost his mole in the organization when Scott Berchtold got shown the door in 2017.   It doesn't even qualify as a secret that Berchtold was the guy........he wasn't very discreet about it.    Everyone's info ran dry the moment he was fired but Vic had the most to lose.

I do think they need another receiver to push Kumerow and McKenzie down the depth chart.  

6 hours ago, WideNine said:

Not to rehash the McKenzie drop as it has been beaten to death, but from those different angles with the blocking scheme involving Shakir, I changed my mind from it being Josh just creating something on the fly.

Looked like a designed play to McKenzie all the way and he just was not looking for it. Nice job by the rook blocking though.

"Not to rehash the McKenzie drop but (proceeds to rehash the McKenzie drop)"

10 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Amazingly you don't HAVE to read it.

I seem to recall you had quite a lot to say on that topic yourself.

I did, but I didn't start off "Not to do this then (proceed to do this)"  It's a nit of mine.  If you want to do it, Do it; don't say you won't, then do it anyway.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.