Khalil Shakir is just warming up..

Chandler#81

BBeane seemed frenzied on Draft day, dropping back multiple times. Then he moved UP TWENTY spots in Rd. 5 to grab him. 6 games in, Sean relies on him as a sure handed, wise punt returner. <read the last sentence again>😳 His savvy play belies a rookie WR and he’s seeing more playing time each game. He’s quick, smooth and gritty. Not just a willing blocker, he’s get quickly to his spot and will SMACK defenders, regardless of size disparity. He’s displayed excellent body control, fending off defenders to position himself to make catches, blindly toe taps the sideline and he’s earned Allen’s attention. <read the last sentence again> 😉

I love his No-nonsense, all business demeanor. The kid can play! I stand in awe of Beane’s drafting prowess as his staff continues to get raided, but the results continue to flourish.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 6

McD has said in the past that the Bills use the bye week to do a lot of self scouting and figure out where they can improve. I hope that is the case and that this week they took a good hard look at Shakir vs McKenzie.

Would love to see Shakir get increased snaps and opportunities. I like McKenzie. Guy is hysterical and a true benefit to the locker room. He has speed and defiantly belongs on an NFL team.  However I just don't see him as a starting quality player on a team with Championship aspirations. A few gadget plays here and there? Possibly. Shakir does have a lot to learn and will make some mistakes here and there...but the bottom line for me is that I would rather see the rookie make a rookie mistake over a 5 or 6 year vet that seems to make rookie mistakes every time he's on the field.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Love the Shakir but I am still a bit skeptical of Beane's 2nd and 3rd round picks this year.   Time will tell.  Of course we can't nail every pick and so far we have an over performing 1st rounder, 5th and 6th rounder.  Not too shabby

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Lost said:

Love the Shakir but I am still a bit skeptical of Beane's 2nd and 3rd round picks this year.   Time will tell.  Of course we can't nail every pick and so far we have an over performing 1st rounder, 5th and 6th rounder.  Not too shabby

I have seen a lot of players come and go in Buffalo and James Cook is a future star in this league. Can’t miss 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I have seen a lot of players come and go in Buffalo and James Cook is a future star in this league. Can’t miss 

Well Dalvin Cook is pretty good and also drafted second round so if that's any indication.  Hope you're right @HOUSE

48 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

Why not Diggs in the slot and Shakir wide?

Why not both in slot and wide? 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Not that I’d do it, but he would be even better in the slot. 

Don't you think the coaching staff would put their best non-QB offensive weapon in the slot if he would be "even better in the slot"?  Are they limiting Diggs because they can't bring themselves to take McKenzie off the field?  

5 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Don't you think the coaching staff would put their best non-QB offensive weapon in the slot if he would be "even better in the slot"?  Are they limiting Diggs because they can't bring themselves to take McKenzie off the field?  

No because there is a dearth of outside WRs. 

1 hour ago, Lost said:

I believe the skepticism is warranted, certainly. But a few things to consider.

1. There was a time where Buffalo NEEDED it's 2nd and 3rd round rookies to make a splash. The day of Nix and Whaley building rosters is over. When a team is as deep and talented as Buffalo it is really a matter of getting rookies in and for the most part bringing them along more slowly and developing them for the future. This is, I believe the plan with Bernard. He was picked for next year much the same way the Boogie pick last draft was made for this year. 

2. Cook has already passed Moss on the depth chart. I know the touches and opportunities have been scare for him yet consider this. Last Sunday McD had a choice to make. Feeling like we had to go with the extra TE due to Knox's injury he made the choice to put a RB on ice for the game. Singletary was safe. The choice came down to Moss and Cook. And in a game facing Spags blitz happy defense and a game we would figure to pass frequently...McD put the guy that many say in our "best pass blocking back and best RB catching out of the backfield" in sweatpants for the game. Cook will, IMO, continue to be brought along slowly. The position he plays exposes the body to a lot of hits. In addition Cook has to adjust from a college schedule to (hopefully) 20 NFL games this year. Yes, the dreaded and often disputed "rookie wall" is something to avoid. Let him learn the game for now. I have a feeling he will be used a lot more later in the year much the way the Bills unleashed Singletary late in the season last year. Kid's going to be a real playmaker for us.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Diggs already plays out wide and the slot. So we're already doing what they said at times. 

I guess it would be better to say that I don't see the coaching staff changing Diggs' role (such as moving him to primarily a slot receiver) to accommodate Shakir or any other WRs. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.