Christian McCaffrey traded to the 49ers for multiple 2nd day draft picks

Draconator

55 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Im in the win at all cost this year camp. Was last year too and wanted a trade for Miller.

However, trading for McCaffrey would not have made us better and would have crippled the ability to find cheap talent to replace guys that they will not be able to afford in the next few years. 

OBJ will cost nothing but cash. I don't think we need him and would pass on him. He's a possession WR coming off ACL tear. Is that really a need for this team?

I beleive Hyde is done as a Bill and three weeks ago I would have argued for a trade for a safety( assuming they don't move White to safety). But Hamlin has played well enough.

At this point I say roll with the guys we have.  Beane made the right moves in the off-season to win this year. If healthy the Bills roster is as good as anyone and I really don't see a glaring need anywhere. They are not going to give up on Brown at RT this quick. Would another capable swing OT to replace Doyle/Hart be an upgrade. Sure but its not really needed if Brown can come back quick and Q plays ok.

Dance with the one who bring you. Go Bills!!!

Great post. Just one small point of contention. Imho, CMC would make the Bills better. His explosiveness and pass catching ability is elite. The Bills don't have anyone close to that. Perhaps, Cook was supposed to be a mini version of CMC. So far, he hasn't shown it. 

I trust Beane's judgements and decisions. Like you said the haul to get CMC was too costly, prohibitive, and i'd injury risk. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

He’s done it once already and almost did last year. The path to the SB in the NFC couldn’t be drawn up easier. Hurts, Cousins, Dak, washed Rodgers, 45 year old Brady. Which of that pile of crap are you picking to beat them?  

They would most likely have to play the Eagles in Philly.  So I'll take the Eagles.  They play the Chiefs and Rams next.  We'll see what happens.

49ers must genuinely think they have a shot at winning it all this year with this move.  If they can get healthy, they may be right.  They have an elite D and CMC gives them a real threat out of the backfield. 

I'm not saying they are better than our Bills, but I think their front office thinks this is a piece of the puzzle they need.

Frankly, I'm glad the Bills didn't try to pull the trigger on a deal like this with that many picks, but I'm going to predict we get a bunch of "I told you so" speeches if the Bills don't win the SB and how we would've if we signed CMC. 😄

47 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I mean they don't exactly know what they have in Trey Lance. There's no way they can give up what they did for him to move on after one slop fest game, and an injury start 2.

They shouldn't give up on him but they also shouldn't be selling out for the short-term until they know for sure that they have a QB. This is equivalent to the Bills trading up for Sammy Watkins after EJ Manuel's rookie year. Arguably worse because it's for a RB.

1 minute ago, Billz4ever said:

49ers must genuinely think they have a shot at winning it all this year with this move.  If they can get healthy, they may be right.  They have an elite D and CMC gives them a real threat out of the backfield. 

I'm not saying they are better than our Bills, but I think their front office thinks this is a piece of the puzzle they need.

Frankly, I'm glad the Bills didn't try to pull the trigger on a deal like this with that many picks, but I'm going to predict we get a bunch of "I told you so" speeches if the Bills don't win the SB and how we would've if we signed CMC. 😄

They've played as a pretty heavy rushing team for years now, with just... UDFAs at running back.  Now they're adding one of the best in the league, and they have him under contract for years.  It's interesting.  

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

They shouldn't give up on him but they also shouldn't be selling out for the short-term until they know for sure that they have a QB. This is equivalent to the Bills trading up for Sammy Watkins after EJ Manuel's rookie year. Arguably worse because it's for a RB.

They do have Deebo Samuel, Kittle, and Aiyuk seems to be coming along.  The offensive line is solid.  Their defense is a really good unit.  This is to try to get a Jimmy G led team to the promised land.  I think Lance is set up to have a good team built around him in 2023.  I think teams are much quicker to move on from QBs now, and SF is a pretty good landing spot for a vet who wants to move like say Rodgers or something.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I know the price looks like a lot, but is it really more than the Bills 1st and Moss?   I'd have been a happy camper to have CMC for that.

Didn't it take a 4th for the Bills to move up 3-4 spots in the first.  San Fran will have a low 2nd and low 3rd.  It seems like all those picks combined might equal the Bills 1st.

To me the Bills offer you suggest would be a little short of SF’s, but close enough that another pick would bring it in line. But I see some other issues with it. One, Moss has pretty much no trade value so you’d have to replace him with a pick. Motor is in his last season so they wouldn’t be interested in him either. The Panthers are blowing it up. They are only interested in picks and quality players who are under a cost controlled contract for years to come. I don’t see any on our roster we’re giving up - at least none they’d want. 

So I think our 2023 first and fourth in would be the likely equivalent. We may have had to sweeten that to beat SF. The odds of the Bills falling off this season is slim compared to SF and that’s a consideration. Also Carolina might want the higher volume of picks to restock their roster. If they insisted on our 1st and 3rd next draft, would you still make the trade? What about 1st and 4th with a 5th the following year?  As much as I’d like him here, CMC’s injury history makes that too rich for me. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

In the limited action between preseason and the short time played this year, Trey Lance did not show anything that looked like he was ready to be a starting qb. The 49ers up to this point have lost to Chicago, Denver and Atlanta. Some are picking them now for the Super Bowl. It could happen, but if those were Bills losses people would be armed with pitch forks and torches.

16 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Why wouldn't they? The NFC is awful. San Fran is probably the best team in the NFC if Jimmy G doesn't crap the bed for them. 

SF could very well be the NFC Super Bowl rep. 

They're built for it. Never a favorite but always make a deep run because they are tough, physical, and just find ways to win. and you say "well, they won't be able to do that again!" and all of a sudden they were an easy dropped INT from playing the Bengals in last year's Super Bowl!

12 minutes ago, Sestak4ever said:

In the limited action between preseason and the short time played this year, Trey Lance did not show anything that looked like he was ready to be a starting qb. The 49ers up to this point have lost to Chicago, Denver and Atlanta. Some are picking them now for the Super Bowl. It could happen, but if those were Bills losses people would be armed with pitch forks and torches.

Atlanta is such a weird team... Mariotta goes like 11/15 for 100 yards and 1 TD and they somehow either win or are right there in the end. 

15 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Atlanta is such a weird team... Mariotta goes like 11/15 for 100 yards and 1 TD and they somehow either win or are right there in the end. 

Yeah, the Falcons have been an interesting watch down here. They stink on paper, but are a much tougher team to beat than they look like. Not an easy out for any team.

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Would have loved to have him, but apparently teams were willing to give up more than I would have.  I could see a 2nd round pick, maybe a little more In 2024, but that’s a lot of picks for a guy with his injury history.   I guess the 9ers are comfortable rolling with CMC and Lance next year, it’s all they can afford and they have no draft.. yikes.  I don’t see it pushing them over the top, maybe I’m wrong.  Hopefully, it helps them beat KC next week 😂

I agree with you.  SF will have some money to absorb a CMC redo of his contract.

I just don't see how even with an overhauled contract how the Bills who are close to -$8M over cap already, add CMC's $'s

and sign or replace 24 free agents next year.  Especially when they would have been left with a 1, 5, 5, 6, 7 at best.

It would be a huge change in the roster and there is no guarantee CMC clinches a SB title.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, the Falcons have been an interesting watch down here. They stink on paper, but are a much tougher team to beat than they look like. Not an easy out for any team.

And should have had a chance to beat the bucs they would be on top of that div 

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

To me the Bills offer you suggest would be a little short of SF’s, but close enough that another pick would bring it in line. But I see some other issues with it. One, Moss has pretty much no trade value so you’d have to replace him with a pick. Motor is in his last season so they wouldn’t be interested in him either. The Panthers are blowing it up. They are only interested in picks and quality players who are under a cost controlled contract for years to come. I don’t see any on our roster we’re giving up - at least none they’d want. 

So I think our 2023 first and fourth in would be the likely equivalent. We may have had to sweeten that to beat SF. The odds of the Bills falling off this season is slim compared to SF and that’s a consideration. Also Carolina might want the higher volume of picks to restock their roster. If they insisted on our 1st and 3rd next draft, would you still make the trade? What about 1st and 4th with a 5th the filling year?  As much as I’d like him here, CMC’s injury history makes that too rich for me. 

Not sure the Panthers are blowing it, they don't have to tank, Rhule set them up to already suck. Shaq Thompson and other elder players are the ones they will trade. A 26 27 yr old rb who has had some injuries, has a 12m per season cap hit, is simply not a player worth hanging on to either. 

For DJ or Burns to go, the offers would have to be multiple 1s. They are still young players at positions you will have to replace. These 2 players specifically will still be excellent in 2 to 3 years with the rookie qb they draft at 1 next season...I wouldn't call it a blow up at all. They are actually in a decent spot

52 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

I still wouldn’t have traded a 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th in 2024 for him even in hindsight if we don’t win a superbowl and they do.  We’d have to let some players walk to keep him too 

they are in danger of going all in on this year and not winning it then being screwed in the future especially because they traded up for Lance also.  I still think the eagles and cowboys with Dak are gonna be tough.  It’s hard to count out Brady figuring it out too 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.