2023 Concerts

T&C

Snuck into the Springsteen and the E Street Band show the other night. Saw an unguarded "club level seating" door, slipped in. Then, waited 'til the ticket taker was busy intently helping another guy get his mobile ticket to show on his phone, and just slipped into the line and walked in. Was surprisingly easy. Once inside, found my way to a seat about 10 rows from the stage, behind it and to the side. Great view of all the action. 

My first time seeing Bruce. He was incredible, as was his band. 3 hours, 26 songs, no breaks. Played everything you'd want him to. I was positioned so that I had a particularly great view of Max Weinberg, who I watched for much of the show.

I basically had an out-of-body experience during "I'm on Fire". That song means a lot to me, and he hadn't played it all tour. That was the first one of the tour, and I didn't expect it. When he sang "sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby, edgy and dull, and cut a six inch valley through the middle of my skull"....the goosebumps on my arms, man, oh man...that's what seeing live music is all about.

Right before the encore portion, I slipped down onto the floor level, about 20 rows from the stage, by simply looking at my phone and acting busy as I walked past security. Was down there for Thunder Road and Born to Run and Glory Days. 

Amazing show, amazing band, amazingly poor job by security 😄

Edited by Logic
  • Shocked 1

On 2/10/2023 at 4:53 PM, Gugny said:

Yeah, that is friggin' nuts.

I saw Cheap Trick last summer when they opened up for Rod Stewart.  I was pleasantly surprised at how great they sounded; particularly Robin Zander's voice.  They were great.  We had lawn seats, so it wasn't that expensive - they (Saratoga Performing Arts Center) had a special through which we got tickets for $25/each.  

I hate to sound like the old guy yelling at clouds, but back in the 80s and even into the early 90s, lawn seats were a standard price of $9 for all of their concerts.

Now, the normal lawn seat goes for at least $50 which I refuse to pay.

Cheap Trick was great ... but not $200 great.

Cheap Trick has always been considered to be one of the best live bands out there - even in recent years.  I saw them about 5-6 years ago, and they were just great & a lot of fun.  Zander is one of my favorite singers.

I've seen older artists who kind of mail it in & are just touring for the paycheck.  They don't do that, from what I could tell.

• Agree 2

On 3/8/2023 at 5:07 PM, Success said:

Cheap Trick has always been considered to be one of the best live bands out there - even in recent years.  I saw them about 5-6 years ago, and they were just great & a lot of fun.  Zander is one of my favorite singers.

I've seen older artists who kind of mail it in & are just touring for the paycheck.  They don't do that, from what I could tell.

Love them since I was a kid. I'm 53 now I saw them five or six years ago at Riot Fest in Chicago and they were amazing. That was my first time seeing them.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, T&C said:

Here is a great example of... it's time to let it go. No Cummings, no go. It's like seeing Jethro Tull without Anderson.

Back in 1987, my then-girlfriend (now wife) and I saw The Guess Who (no Bachman or Cummings) and Buffalo Springfield (no Stills or Young.) Yeah, basically two tribute bands, but I knew that going in. Tickets were cheap and we enjoyed the show anyway.

When Buffalo Springfield came on stage, some guy in the audience yelled, "Where's Neil Young?" One of the band members replied, "Didn't you hear the news? Neil went solo."

• Like (+1) 2

Got a couple tickets to see Cake at the Rooftop at Pier 17 in NYC.  Very cool outdoor venue right on the water in lower Manhattan.  Holds about 3,400 people (General Admission).

Cake rarely plays out.  This is just an 8-stop "tour."  I heard about this on Lithium (Sirius/XM) and immediately came home and bought tickets, as they were apparently selling very quickly.

Many years ago, I passed up on the chance to see Cake at a VERY small venue in Clifton Park, NY.  I've been kicking myself ever since.  

I am super excited to see these guys live.

5 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Back in 1987, my then-girlfriend (now wife) and I saw The Guess Who (no Bachman or Cummings) and Buffalo Springfield (no Stills or Young.) Yeah, basically two tribute bands, but I knew that going in. Tickets were cheap and we enjoyed the show anyway.

When Buffalo Springfield came on stage, some guy in the audience yelled, "Where's Neil Young?" One of the band members replied, "Didn't you hear the news? Neil went solo."

1987. No Bachman I could see but wonder why no Cummings... unless he was in one of his moods. Was there Anyone from BS there at all?

March 31-April 2: For Central Virginians or those who happen to be around. Stevestock 5 Music Fest at a guys farm not far from Richmond.

The following is a link to Eventbrite for band listing and tix. At least 7 of these are Dead bands. You can google the facebook link.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwih2NTI5-H9AhUOr4QIHQTRAYoQFnoECBIQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.eventbrite.com%2Fe%2Fstevestock-v-tickets-508006008647&usg=AOvVaw2raS1kNFCMy6pjKfqB-OTz

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Got a couple tickets to see Cake at the Rooftop at Pier 17 in NYC.  Very cool outdoor venue right on the water in lower Manhattan.  Holds about 3,400 people (General Admission).

Cake rarely plays out.  This is just an 8-stop "tour."  I heard about this on Lithium (Sirius/XM) and immediately came home and bought tickets, as they were apparently selling very quickly.

Many years ago, I passed up on the chance to see Cake at a VERY small venue in Clifton Park, NY.  I've been kicking myself ever since.  

I am super excited to see these guys live.

That sounds like a fun show.  Enjoy!

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, WhoTom said:

A friend of mine says that unless a band has all their original members, it's just a tribute band.  I think he only says that the make himself feel better about not spending money on concerts.  My attitude is if my ticket has a band name on it, then I've seen that band, even if it's only one original member in it. 

8 hours ago, Just Jack said:

A friend of mine says that unless a band has all their original members, it's just a tribute band.  I think he only says that the make himself feel better about not spending money on concerts.  My attitude is if my ticket has a band name on it, then I've seen that band, even if it's only one original member in it. 

It depends who the remaining members are for me. I’m not particularly into seeing a band with the drummer as the sole original member, or a band with no original members. It differs by band on whom I’m willing to see without original members. Being a fan of guys who are the remaining band members is a huge factor. If a band loses every member I care about, then I have no interest. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, T&C said:

1987. No Bachman I could see but wonder why no Cummings... unless he was in one of his moods. Was there Anyone from BS there at all?

I think Buffalo Springfield had the original rhythm section. Probably the same for The Guess Who. Both bands had two old guys surrounded by young guys, so I assume the old guys were originals. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/8/2023 at 2:51 PM, Logic said:

Snuck into the Springsteen and the E Street Band show the other night. Saw an unguarded "club level seating" door, slipped in. Then, waited 'til the ticket taker was busy intently helping another guy get his mobile ticket to show on his phone, and just slipped into the line and walked in. Was surprisingly easy. Once inside, found my way to a seat about 10 rows from the stage, behind it and to the side. Great view of all the action. 

Seeing him on the 27th in DC...greatest rock showman out there.  First saw him during The River tour in Rochester in December 1980.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Would love to see Peter Gabriel.  

September 9th for me, hoping it's not the Bills Home Opener that weekend.  I can make it work if it is, just won't be able to take part in the usual festivities.  He has said Buffalo will be a stop on the tour, but they haven't said when. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

September 9th for me, hoping it's not the Bills Home Opener that weekend.  I can make it work if it is, just won't be able to take part in the usual festivities.  He has said Buffalo will be a stop on the tour, but they haven't said when. 

Waiting for a Buffalo date.  Hopeful.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.