A little week off humor from back in the day

78thealltimegreat

I never follow college ball, but the thing that intrigued me about Allen as the draft process was unfolding was reports of how much improved from the end of the college season to the Senior Bowl after getting some QB coaching in prep for that game. So it made sense that Beane would go after a guy who was raw but showed a pretty good response to competent coaching. Throw in there what they found about his personality, leadership, competitive fire, and willingness to do the work, and I think you start to see what they saw in him that made him the guy in their eyes. Of course we don't know those things until well after the draft, so the reactions make sense to a certain extent.

Not joking I heard about Josh from Mel Kiper and his Big Board. They played a game with Iowa on the Big 10 Network for those that follow college football this was actually Iowas first “wave” game one of the coolest things in college football.

He made a play that was classic Josh where the entire Iowa Dline blew past their blockers and he avoided every one of them where he threw a missle that just missed his receiver in the end zone.
  Could tell he was raw but man he was just different.  

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

On 10/20/2022 at 1:57 PM, thenorthremembers said:

I was blown away the Browns didnt take Allen.  He fit the mold of all the Quarterbacks Dorsey had drafted in the past.   Mayfield was the only other guy I liked in the class so I was happy they took Allen instead of Rosen.  In contrast, my buddy literally got up and left our draft party without saying a word.  He even text me at times during the 2020 season unsure Josh was the guy. 

I think when Josh started out hot in 2020 and then had a string of 4 bad games after he hurt his shoulder in the Raiders game, a lot of pundits were "Oh, he's regressing to the mean".  Terry Bradshaw stuck in my mind "a 50% passer is all he'll ever be" (pompous ass).  So your friend just had the reaction of many guys paid to talk about football.

Matt Hasselbeck is the only media guy who called it right.  He had played with that injury and before the Seahawks game, he explained exactly how it made a QB miss (fit what was happening with Josh).  He said "unfortunately for the Seahawks, Josh's shoulder is probably feeling pretty good right about now".  31 of 38 for 415 yds better, heheheh.

On 10/20/2022 at 1:57 PM, thenorthremembers said:

For what its worth he also hates Jordan Poyer.

Whaaaaat?  Why ever?  All that guy does is ball.

On 10/20/2022 at 10:51 PM, RyanC883 said:

when was this filmed?  It’s really funny “that was quite a few words if you had no words”. 

It was put out by the Buffalo Bills PR department April 28 this year, I would guess it was filmed around that time.

I like the Hahahahahahahahaha one where Josh is counting the Ha's to be sure he got them right

and then "Shady ain't gonna like that" to which Josh reacts "Heh - That's a good one".

Also you can see Josh's self-deprecating sense of humor:

"See you on the job market in 3 years, Beane"  "Now if I would have tweeted that, it would have made sense"

"Why why why why - I think one why would suffice, but..."

On 10/21/2022 at 5:25 AM, uticaclub said:

Allen wasn't an obvious choice, he fell to 7 while many had a 3rd-round grade on him. RG3/Luck was a one/two top of the draft

Do we actually know that any NFL professionals had a 3rd round grade on him?

I know there was a lot of noise, but I kind of thought it was all from fan-sided guys - TV pundits,  Fantasy Football analytic outfits like PFF and Football Outsiders etc.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

On 10/21/2022 at 3:56 AM, johnnychemo said:

I never follow college ball, but the thing that intrigued me about Allen as the draft process was unfolding was reports of how much improved from the end of the college season to the Senior Bowl after getting some QB coaching in prep for that game. So it made sense that Beane would go after a guy who was raw but showed a pretty good response to competent coaching. Throw in there what they found about his personality, leadership, competitive fire, and willingness to do the work, and I think you start to see what they saw in him that made him the guy in their eyes. Of course we don't know those things until well after the draft, so the reactions make sense to a certain extent.

I wasn't on TSW when Josh was drafted but I was one of those who thought we drafted the "wrong Josh."

My opinion was based on having watched all available video from his Wyoming days... I was not impressed. However the one game I did not watch pre-draft was the Senior Bowl and that's the one where you could actually see that he had a huge upside and was a diamond waiting to be polished.

Had I watched the Senior Bowl stuff I would have had a very different opinion of him.

On 10/20/2022 at 2:57 PM, thenorthremembers said:

I was blown away the Browns didnt take Allen.  He fit the mold of all the Quarterbacks Dorsey had drafted in the past.   Mayfield was the only other guy I liked in the class so I was happy they took Allen instead of Rosen.  In contrast, my buddy literally got up and left our draft party without saying a word.  He even text me at times during the 2020 season unsure Josh was the guy.   For what its worth he also hates Jordan Poyer.

Your buddy sounds like a really crappy talent evaluator.  

So lets assume the Browns had picked Allen, would the Jets have then taken Mayfield, if not would we have?  Would the Bills have instead traded down aways for Jackson??

Or if the Browns had still taken Mayfield, and the Jets then took Allen, what would we have done??  Darnold??

And if it were any of these other guys, would they have done better here with a more stable system in place?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.