All-22 Grades for Bills/Chiefs (The Athletic)

HappyDays

23 minutes ago, NewEra said:

One could say the same about the majority of your usually depressing, negative, “the bills should have done it my way” posts. 

wah GIF

meanwhile, we’re the best team in the NFL.  

If you want to keep your homer shades on and think McKenzie is good just because he’s a bill, that’s your right. Carry on…

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

If you want to keep your homer shades on and think McKenzie is good just because he’s a bill, that’s your right. Carry on…

Where did I say Mckenzie is good?  Prior to his disaster vs the chiefs, I’m on record as saying I hope he returns to a gadget role and Shakir named starter….. 

just look at all of your posts-  pretty much every post has a negative spin on it 

All I did was promote you.  Be grateful. 

you’re @ScottLaw’s apprentice 

Edited by NewEra

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Where did I say Mckenzie is good?  Prior to his disaster vs the chiefs, I’m on record as saying I hope he returns to a gadget role and Shakir named starter….. 

just look at all of your posts-  pretty much every post has a negative spin on it 

All I did was promote you.  Be grateful. 

you’re @ScottLaw’s apprentice 

Promote me?  Hahaha!  Ok…

Dude, you are just proving his point, 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Joe isn't PFF, he actually watches and grades every snap. If there are plays where McKenzie gets open but doesn't get the ball he will still get some sort of positive grade for that snap. It's easier for a WR to avoid a really bad grade compared to an o-lineman because the WR isn't directly involved on every snap.

PFF watch and grade every snap too. 

7 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

“You ever seen Isaiah McKenzie vs the Patriots?” -Isaiah McKenzie 

One game…I’ll take the larger sample size as more of a measure of who he is as a player. 

Listen…will he make some plays?  Occasionally. Is he an upgrade over Beasley?  IMO…no. We can leave it at that. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

PFF watch and grade every snap too. 

They don't grade DBs if the ball isn't thrown their way (this is why they always grade Tre White lower than he should be) which leads me to believe they do not actually watch every snap. I have also read that they use broadcast footage, not All-22, and sometimes will grade entire position groups at the same time on a single snap instead of watching each individual player. Doing some rough math there would be about 48,000 individual player snaps to watch on any given week where all 32 NFL teams play. There's no way they are watching every one of those, I don't care how many unpaid interns they have.

Edited by HappyDays

49 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

They don't grade DBs if the ball isn't thrown their way (this is why they always grade Tre White lower than he should be) which leads me to believe they do not actually watch every snap. I have also read that they use broadcast footage, not All-22, and sometimes will grade entire position groups at the same time on a single snap instead of watching each individual player. Doing some rough math there would be about 48,000 individual player snaps to watch on any given week where all 32 NFL teams play. There's no way they are watching every one of those, I don't care how many unpaid interns they have.

Your description of what PFF do is not true. Now I do think there are flaws to the way the grade DBs who are not throw at, but they do grade those plays. They just grade making plays on the ball too highly IMO, so to get the very top grades is hard if you are not thrown at.

They also only do their initial grading on tv angle. They re-grade every game once the all22 is available and they do, frequently, adjust grades.

38 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Your description of what PFF do is not true.

I guess part of the problem is they're a little vague about their process. And there are too many times where their grades don't match with what people see which creates questions about their process.

38 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Now I do think there are flaws to the way the grade DBs who are not throw at, but they do grade those plays.

According to this they give all DBs that don't have the ball thrown their way a neutral grade:

This means they are not watching every snap. And that's just DBs. Who knows what other shortcuts they're taking.

Edited by HappyDays

One game…I’ll take the larger sample size as more of a measure of who he is as a player. 

Listen…will he make some plays?  Occasionally. Is he an upgrade over Beasley?  IMO…no. We can leave it at that. 

I don’t disagree. That quote I posted was meant as a joke. McKenzie said it during one of the off-season episodes of Embedded. The context was how he can “do it all” or something like that.

However, I would also say McKenzie has a higher ceiling than Beasley. Problem is, he is also more mistake prone. And when the only thing that can slow down our offense IS our own mistakes, I would definitely take stability over big play ability and I am excited to see what Shakir can give us in the slot. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Your description of what PFF do is not true. Now I do think there are flaws to the way the grade DBs who are not throw at, but they do grade those plays. They just grade making plays on the ball too highly IMO, so to get the very top grades is hard if you are not thrown at.

They also only do their initial grading on tv angle. They re-grade every game once the all22 is available and they do, frequently, adjust grades.

I’ve always been leery of PFF’s processes and proclamations simply due to the sheer enormity of the task.

According to their website, only 10% of their 600 employees are qualified to do grading of players each game, so around 60 graders in total.

There are an average of 60 plays per game on both sides of the ball; 60 offensive snaps, 60 defensive snaps, 120 snaps total on average per game. 

120 plays multiplied by 22 players per play equals 2640 individual player snaps per game per team which equals 84,480 individual player snaps each week. 

84,480 divided by 60 PFF graders equals 1,408 individual player snaps to grade each week.

They claim to have numbers finalized on Mondays. Color me skeptical that anyone can thoroughly analyze 1,408 individual player snaps in less than a day. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I guess part of the problem is they're a little vague about their process. And there are too many times where their grades don't match with what people see which creates questions about their process.

According to this they give all DBs that don't have the ball thrown their way a neutral grade:

This means they are not watching every snap. And that's just DBs. Who knows what other shortcuts they're taking.

It doesn't mean that. 

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

I’ve always been leery of PFF’s processes and proclamations simply due to the sheer enormity of the task.

According to their website, only 10% of their 600 employees are qualified to do grading of players each game, so around 60 graders in total.

There are an average of 60 plays per game on both sides of the ball; 60 offensive snaps, 60 defensive snaps, 120 snaps total on average per game. 

120 plays multiplied by 22 players per play equals 2640 individual player snaps per game per team which equals 84,480 individual player snaps each week. 

84,480 divided by 60 PFF graders equals 1,408 individual player snaps to grade each week.

They claim to have numbers finalized on Mondays. Color me skeptical that anyone can thoroughly analyze 1,408 individual player snaps in less than a day. 

They do not have finalised numbers on Monday. They have initial numbers that they normally publish on a Tuesday and then they do regularly refine numbers during the week. That is not to say I think their process is flawless it isn't. But they watch every snap. Sure they give neutral grades to non-targeted guys but neutral grades are still higher than average coverage grade. I don't think that is perfect, but I think mainly when it comes to PFF haters just want to hate.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.