How did Allen not dominate in college?

C.Biscuit97

23 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

1 - seriously? Obviously the talent level he played with is different in Buffalo but the defensive talent level he plays against is better too. As someone who was skeptical of the pick, the idea that the guy who wasn’t that good in the MWC becoming a better player in the nfl melted my brain.

2 - can you think of a player that improved this much from college to the nfl? Brady seems obvious but he actually was better in college than people remember. 

He never received the level of coaching or development he needed. That is why he was able to buck the trends/numbers and make such vast improvements in his game. He was finally receiving the training and development most other blue chip QBs received while they were in high school and college. When he came in, he was so raw he hadnt even reached his FLOOR yet. That is the big difference between him and the other "project" QBs that come out of bigger programs and never make it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

That Wyoming team was awful. The team was Josh Allen. He was under immediate pressure nearly all the time. If he played for Alabama, it would have been a different story. He was the team in Wyoming. 

Good thing he wasn't at Bama. He would have been dominant there and gotten all the attention. Then Browns probably pick him at #1 or worse the Jets at #3. Nobody cares about Wyoming and the "experts" said accuracy issues. He falls under the radar. Thankfully Beane sees what a special QB he can be and the rest is history.

• Like (+1) 5

he was probably busy laying pipe and taking naps.  you have to admit...both of those things are pretty awesome.

1 minute ago, Bandito said:

LOL. Because they were studs in college, but busts in the pros? You don't find that interesting for the reasons why? Most people do think that discussion is worth having. Take care.

i think it happens because some college athletes can get by on just pure athleticism.  you get to the pros, everyone is the best of the best, and if you don't put the work/time in, i think they get exposed fairly quickly.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Bandito said:

LOL. Because they were studs in college, but busts in the pros? You don't find that interesting for the reasons why? Most people do think that discussion is worth having. Take care.

I'm just saying it's far more likely for that scenario to play out vs. being a JAG in college and a stud in the pros. 

• Like (+1) 2

besides  the limitations of talent and coaching at Wyo, Josh worked hard to improve his game each and every year...

besides his supreme athleticism (during his first game, preseason home against Panthers his first pass was a bomb that went 65 yards, then he danced around and ran for good yardage with the 3rd-4th stringers)  his desire to win and sacrifice his body to make a play, his tremendous drive to improve by going to qb coaching camps (Jesse Palmer multiple times), years of working with good NFL coord-coaches, off-season work with WRs, big game experience, he is the undenied leader of the team not just the offense, he makes others better (Diggs for example)...no Josh no Von...nobody ever has a bad word to say about Josh other than the sports columnists who nitpick his stats or style...on his way to the Hall of Fame for sure and some rings hopefully

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

1 - seriously? Obviously the talent level he played with is different in Buffalo but the defensive talent level he plays against is better too. As someone who was skeptical of the pick, the idea that the guy who wasn’t that good in the MWC becoming a better player in the nfl melted my brain.

2 - can you think of a player that improved this much from college to the nfl? Brady seems obvious but he actually was better in college than people remember. 

Dude; get off this Hill. 

He went to a crappy 2-win Wyoming team, where no college wanted him, and he took them to two straight Bowl Appearances (losing a heartbreaker to BYU and blowing out Central Michigan).  Then after he left, Wyoming went to **** essentially again.   He wasn't mentored in all these QB camps throughout Junior and High school; he had responsibilities at home too.  So he was still raw who relied on natural ability, but the talent was obviously there.  Just like his first few years in Buffalo, the talent around him sucked ***, but you could tell the kid had untapped potential.  Maybe take some time to get to know his background.  

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Motorin' I was hoping I wasn't being two straight with it.

Please know, btw, your points are right on, too!

You still hear Bradshaw and Aikmen say ***** like that, lol. They still don't get it. Which is funny, because they are the 2 qbs other than Josh that had the highest jump in completion percent in their careers. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

That Wyoming team was awful. The team was Josh Allen. He was under immediate pressure nearly all the time. If he played for Alabama, it would have been a different story. He was the team in Wyoming. 

3-4 players from that team play or have played in the NFL.  You make it sound like he played for Buff State.

• Like (+1) 2

The shocking thing about his Wyoming stats is that he averaged only 3.2 yards per rush with hundreds of rushes. I don’t see how that’s remotely possible. 

SeasonTeamAttYdsAvgTD

2014Reedley College1206605.510

2015Wyoming34013.30

2016Wyoming1425233.77

2017Wyoming922042.25

Wyoming totals
237 767 3.212

43 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Not to reopen old wounds, but this has been discussed ad nauseum.

A -- Josh was a late bloomer

B -- Josh didn't grow up being groomed to play QB, and therefore didn't have the same coaching and reps other high profile recruits had going into college (he wasn't even recruited)

C -- Josh got hurt in his first game at college (shoulder)

Anyone who looked closely at the player, beyond the stats, saw what type of kid he was, what athletic ability was there, and what mental ability and drive were there.  It was always going to take some time to let "playing the game" catch up.

I'd glad Beane and staff did their homework and didn't rely on the analytics gurus who only look at box scores.

• Like (+1) 6

Success in football at all levels depends on the Offensive and Defensive Lines.   If your offensive line sucks, your QB is going to have a hard time.    No matter how good a player is football is the ultimate team game.  On top of that completion percentage has a lot to do with wideouts as well.  If your wideouts have a hard time catching the ball your completion percentage is going to dip.

Go back and look at the NFL level talent Josh played with at Wyoming, Chase Roullier was a 6th round pick of the Commanders, he played 2 games with Josh in 2015.     Tanner Gentry and Jacob Hollister are the only NFL talents that played with Josh on offense while he was a starter at Wyoming,  and they were both UDFA's currently on practice squads.  In comparison, the teams they lost to in his time as a starter at Wyoming had an average of 5 NFL players on their roster.  Teams like Iowa, Nebraska, Oregon and BYU were stocked at that time. 

If Allen had played at a Power 5 school his stats would have looked like a world beater.  Lucky for us that he didnt.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

He got better. People forget while we saw glimpse of greatness in year 1 and 2 he is one of the few quarterbacks to make such a great leap in year 3. He is better in almost every way compared to year 1 and 2. 

I used to compare him to Cam Newton because of the size, the arm, and the running ability.  Now I think the best comparison is Brett Favre. Josh is a gunslinger and will probably throw a few more INTs than we would like but he will make up for it with clutch performances. 

From year 1 I've said he reminds me of the love child of favre and elway, without the horse face and tendencies to steal money from the poor of course.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

The shocking thing about his Wyoming stats is that he averaged only 3.2 yards per rush with hundreds of rushes. I don’t see how that’s remotely possible. 

SeasonTeamAttYdsAvgTD

2014Reedley College1206605.510

2015Wyoming34013.30

2016Wyoming1425233.77

2017Wyoming922042.25

Wyoming totals
237 767 3.212

Its possible if you have a crappy offense where you need to make everything happen. 

Josh Allen, with nothing but sheer determination and a fastball, willed Wyoming to two bowl appearances and one bowl win. What had that Wyoming team done before and what has it done since? Yeah he was raw and unpolished, but like Elway used to do, just straight up willed his sometimes crappy team to wins. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.