How did Allen not dominate in college?

C.Biscuit97

This thread is really interesting.

You can discuss the value of statistics until the cows come home, but in the end, they're just a tool to narrow the field.  

Watching film of all the games is yet another tool to narrow that field some more, as are interviews, etc.  

In the end, Allen was an educated gamble, and thank our lucky stars, one that has paid off enormously.  

I believe that once he was in the Bills organization, they - and him - managed to do everything well in terms of developing his skills to go along with his natural abilities.  If I remember correctly, Allen finally came to realize (1) you could throw a pass away rather than forcing it, (2) a drive is a series of steps, some small, some big, (3) you have to trust your teammates to do their jobs, something I'm not sure he did at Wyoming, and (4) you don't have to be a hero on every play. 

If nothing else, he has shown that extraordinary physical gifts are not enough.  You still have to learn how to use them, seek out and accept constructive criticism to improve on them, and put in the effort to make those improvements part of your game. 

As an added bonus, the Bills coaches added structure and a reasonable set of expectations for his growth and continuity.  

The results are abundantly clear today.   They were only hopes five years ago. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I watched Allen at Wyoming.  The big things that stood out was his big play making ability and the ability to maneuver around the pocket.  One thing he did have trouble was the short little 5-10 yard throws.  But really it's fairly apparent the player Josh was during his first year with the Bills. He was not a polished player by any means but most people could see the talent and potential.  Josh would try to do to much sometimes and either make a bad play, or else a big play. Those were the things where he needed to trust his teammates more and accept the plays the defense would give you.  Bills didn't have a great O-line or very good receivers in Josh first year and it really showed.  It took Josh getting good coaching and experience, and then getting Diggs. After that everyone could see what he could do with some weapons. 

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this the other day. Dude is like a different human being than this goofy guy running.  His transition to being a dominant nfl player is one of the most impressive things I have ever seen. I cannot give enough credit to him and the bills. I wake up everyday and can’t believe how awesome our qb is.

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I saw this the other day. Dude is like a different human being than this goofy guy running.  His transition to being a dominant nfl player is one of the most impressive things I have ever seen. I cannot give enough credit to him and the bills. I wake up everyday and can’t believe how awesome our qb is.

Omg my 10 year old son runs like that. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.