How did Allen not dominate in college?

C.Biscuit97

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

He was a skinny, 6’3” high school QB from a small school that played lower level competition who didn’t attend elite QB camps since middle school. Those players simply don’t attract much attention. Especially in CA. It’s no surprise he wasn’t recruited by any D-1 school, let alone a power 5 school. 

This part sounds like Rodgers 

10 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Not even looking at the passing stats college vs. pros, the more surprising thing to me is Allen actually seems more dangerous as a runner at the NFL level than he was at the college level. That is something that is pretty rare, I think. 

Allen said on KB’s Basement this week, that his 1st ever hurdle was already in juco! So that would’ve been Reedley. But I don’t remember any pre-draft discussion on that? 

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Mel Kiper is wrong a ton though. I think he said he would retire if Jimmy clausen didn’t become a star qb. 

That’s the thing. College stats mean nothing but a guy completing under 69% of his passes in college now is kinda crazy. 

I just can’t believe the Buffalo Bills got this mold of talented clay and turned him into this. I still can’t believe it. 

its quite literally unbelievable… the whole journey is improbable… right down to small town farm kid that embraces Buffalo as a community, the fools gold with baker and Sam allowing him to fall…. The maneuvering with Denver (and I’m sure elway is beside himself for not snatching him up) …. Literally- the runner he is. That’s a complete surprise ..  All of it. 

that’s why the retrospective that you could always see this is where he’d be all along is utter nonsense and dismisses how Amazing and improbable this has been. 

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

1 - seriously? Obviously the talent level he played with is different in Buffalo but the defensive talent level he plays against is better too. As someone who was skeptical of the pick, the idea that the guy who wasn’t that good in the MWC becoming a better player in the nfl melted my brain.

2 - can you think of a player that improved this much from college to the nfl? Brady seems obvious but he actually was better in college than people remember. 

I don’t know of a prospect that has developed as much as Josh Allen.

I’ve never been more wrong about something in my entire life and God do I love it.

My favorite NFL player of all time already. 

9 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

its quite literally unbelievable… the whole journey is improbable… right down to small town farm kid that embraces Buffalo as a community, the fools gold with baker and Sam allowing him to fall…. The maneuvering with Denver (and I’m sure elway is beside himself for not snatching him up) …. Literally- the runner he is. That’s a complete surprise ..  All of it. 

that’s why the retrospective that you could always see this is where he’d be all along is utter nonsense and dismisses how Amazing and improbable this has been. 

Well said. 

Amazing and improbable sums it up perfectly .

11 hours ago, Motorin' said:

No, he had issues with his mechanics. Namely, he didn't have any. 

In reality, the man made throws in WY that many pro-bowl qbs in NFL history would never be able to make. 

Meaning, sometimes he made deadly accurate throws at an elite level. Those are the throws that people with accuracy issues never make. He was guilty of missing easy lay ups because he didn't have any kind of coaching to teach him how to be consistent with his mechanics.

As always Mororin, we’ll written and right on the $.  I would add his last year a number of his targets went onto the nfl, and he was left with crap to work with so hence, Super Sugar Allen with that drive to win at all costs.

He had the clay for success, but was going to be a work in progress.  As much as Kiper can be annoying, he called it on Josh regrading the draft, before he was drafted.  He his on his take for Josh and he called it on Josh would end up being the best drafted QB that year, and dam if he was right.  Lamar is not in the same stratosphere as JA17. That doesn’t mean I’m slamming Lamar as he has grown a great deal in the last 5 years.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

From year 1 I've said he reminds me of the love child of favre and elway, without the horse face and tendencies to steal money from the poor of course.

He always had an arm comparable to Elway. I knew he could make all the throws that is why he was my #1. Full disclosure Rosen was my#2.

I didn't think he would run as well as Elway did. Elway was more speed but still big enough to take a pounding. Josh is more power but just enough top end speed to run away from most DL and linebackers.  Insane combo. 

Josh was just a late bloomer who did not get great coaching to develop his skills in college. In college he was constantly under pressure in the pocket. Operating in that environment was actually great training for the nfl as he learned how to evade and escape pressure. He became comfortable operating in chaos. I think that’s a big part of what makes him great. He refined his accuracy with Jordan Palmer but he has incredible throws on his college tape, they just weren’t consistent.

12 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

He had accuracy issues.

Please don't underestimate the importance of completion percentage at all levels. 

It matters.  It goes with you wherever you go.

A permanent football scar whose shame never washes off or changes.

I have accuracy issues. My wife tells me everytime she cleans the bathroom

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

14 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

That Wyoming team was awful. The team was Josh Allen. He was under immediate pressure nearly all the time. If he played for Alabama, it would have been a different story. He was the team in Wyoming. 

And he basically played with a bunch of nobody's and they still made it to bowl games.

In his final year it at Wyoming every player on offense that had touched the ball the previous season was gone. 

The simple fact is that his 56% accuracy in college kept him from being drafted by the Browns, Jets, Broncos, NY Giants...to Bills fans great joy...well, at least after a season or two!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

1 - seriously? Obviously the talent level he played with is different in Buffalo but the defensive talent level he plays against is better too. As someone who was skeptical of the pick, the idea that the guy who wasn’t that good in the MWC becoming a better player in the nfl melted my brain.

2 - can you think of a player that improved this much from college to the nfl? Brady seems obvious but he actually was better in college than people remember. 

He was absolutely excellent in college. Look at the winning percentage of that team and compare the win rates when he was in and when he was out. There's a massive difference.

He was dominant. He wasn't dominant in a way that convinced everyone that his dominance would carry over to the NFL.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

And he basically played with a bunch of nobody's and they still made it to bowl games.

In his final year it at Wyoming every player on offense that had touched the ball the previous season was gone. 

The simple fact is that his 56% accuracy in college kept him from being drafted by the Browns, Jets, Broncos, NY Giants...to Bills fans great joy...well, at least after a season or two!!

Leading up to that draft there were stories about Allen’s recall abilities and how he was wowing teams on the white board. But we hear these things about guys every year it seems so we don’t give it much thought. But a couple months ago Tasker was relaying a story Daboll told him about Josh while at the combine. Daboll said that there were about twenty Bills’ staff members in the room when Josh came in for his combine interview. All of them introduced themselves to Allen and then it was 15 minutes of breaking down plays on the whiteboard along with some chit chat, etc. At the end of the meeting, Daboll asked Josh to recall as many names of the people he met when he first walked in and Allen remembered them all. Daboll said he’d never seen anything like that. I was amazed hearing that. But it explains so much about why Allen has developed as a QB like he has. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Mel Kiper is wrong a ton though. I think he said he would retire if Jimmy clausen didn’t become a star qb. 

Kiper actually did retire after Clausen didn't become a star.  Clausen lasted through the 2013 season with Carolina before moving on to Chicago.  Kiper never printed another draft report book after the 2013 edition.  In that final report his top 2 QBs were 1) Geno Smith and 2) Matt Barkley.  He had EJ 6th.  It may have taken 9 years, but Kiper did get the 2013 QB class as correct as could be.  NO other QB but those 2 is still in the league.  In retrospect, Kiper did a better job than Buddy Nix and his assistant at the time, Doug Whaley.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/20/2022 at 9:16 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Maybe give your coaching staff a bit of credit. They obviously worked with him to improve his accuracy.. outside of that don’t for a second believe that Allen read those headline and didn’t want stick it into their face just how good he would be..  def drive and good coaching makes a damn lot of difference.. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.