The Saffold Report - Week 6, Bills v. Chefs, 10/16/22

Freddie's Dead

The amount of Saffold hate during the Squeelers game convinced me to resurrect the concept of isolating on him to see how good or bad he really was.  Like the Edmunds and Ford reports which preceded it, the Saffold report will state what I see on a play, then assign a point system -1, 0, +1, and keep a running total.  So does Saffold suck and do we need a better LG at the trade deadline?  Let's go to the tape.

Bills 1st possession

1st and 10, BUF 25 - 76 holds up in PB, swing pass to Gilliam for -1 (0,0)

2nd and 11, BUF 24 - 76 stiffs his PB at the LOS, Josh complete to Gabe for 22 (+1,+1)

1st and 10, BUF 46 -  76 RB 91 down the LOS, Motor for 8 (+1,+2)_

2nd and 2, KC 46 - 76 good PB, flat pass to Motor for 3 and FD (+2,+3)

1st and 10, KC 43 - 76 good RB on 95, Motor up the gut for FD (+3,+4)

1st and 10, KC 33 - 76 pulls left and traps 55, Motor for 8 (+1,+5)

2nd and 2, KC 25 - 76 solid PB, 8 yd pass to Diggs (+1,+6)

1st and 10, KC 17 - 76 solid PB on 95, stood up at LOS, 4 yd pass to Motor (+1,+7)

2nd and 6, KC 13 - 76 pulls left as the Bills fake motion that way, Josh laterals to McKittrick, you know the rest (0,+7)

Bills 2nd possession

1st and 10, BUF 20 - 76 PB, Josh has all day, hits Diggs for 31 (+1,+8)

1st and 10, KC 49 - 76 PB, Josh throws a ground ball to Tupac INC (0,+8)

2nd and 10, KC 49 - 76 holds his PB at the LOS, Josh scrambles for 9 (+1,+9)

3rd and 1, KC 40 - 76 pulls right and traps, JA bootleg to the left, FD (+1,+10)

1st and 10, KC 36 - 76 with another solid PB, Josh to McKittrick for 5 (+1,+11)

2nd and 5, KC 31 - 76 straight ahead RB, Motor for 8, FD (+1,+12)

1st and 10, KC 23 - 76 blocks 95 down the LOS, Motor sweep for 12, holding on Gabe (0,+13)

1st and 13, KC 25 - 76 good PB on 95, Allen flushed right, throws INC (0,+13)

2nd and 13, KC 25 - 76 RB 95, then passes off and hits 32, Cook for 4 (0,+13)

3rd and 9, KC 21 - 76 PB on 32, Josh moves around, throws high to McKittrick, who gets jacked up, INC (0,+13)

4th and 9, KC 21 - 76 solid block on FG, kick good by Bass-o-Matic (+1,+14)

Bills 3rd possession

1st and 10, BUF 25 - 76 RB and mauls two different guys upfield, Motor for 7 (+1,+15)

2nd and 3, BUF 32 - 76 pushes 99 four yards upfield, Motor for 2 (+1,+16)

3rd and 1, BUF 34 - 76 stands up 95, Josh gets the push from Gabe, FD (+1,+17)

1st and 10, BUF 37 - 76 stands up 95 at LOS, Josh scrambles for 6 (+1,+18)

2nd and 4, BUF 43 - 76 stands up 95 again, JA hits Diggs for 10, 76 hustles upfield to try to throw a block while Diggs getting tackled (+1,+19)

1st and 10, KC 47 - 76 stands up his block at LOS, Motor runs in behind him for 14 (+1,+20)

1st and 10, KC 33 - 76 combo pass block, chips 95, then picks up DB, JA into the ground at Cook's feet (0,+20)

2nd and 10, KC 33 - 76 combo pass block, chips then picks up DB, JA INC downfield, PI on KC (0,+20)

1st and Goal, KC 10 - 76 holds up 91 at LOS, Motor for 7 (+1,+21)

2nd and Goal, KC 3 - 76 PB at LOS, JA tipped, INC (0,+21)

3rd and Goal, KC 3 - 76 PB at LOS, DB blitz, JA pass knocked down, INC (0,+21)

4th and Goal, KC 3, - 76 PB on 95, 95 gets by, McKittrick trips, INC (-1,+20) first negative play by Saffold, Dorsey outsmarted himself here, he should have just kept running Motor

Bills 4th possession

1st and 10, BUF 31 - 76 with combo PB, JA INC to Davis on the sideline (0,+20)

2nd and 10, BUF 31 - 76 RB takes his guy 4 yards upfield, sheds 76 and makes the tackle on Motor for 3 (0,+20)

3rd and 7, BUF 34 - 76 PB on 95, Josh flushed elsewhere, throws INC, ineligible downfield on Rick Bates, ticky tack (0,+20)

Bills 5th possession

1st and 10, BUF 3 - False start on 76, half the distance to the goal (-1,+19)

1st and 11.5, BUF 1.5 - 76 PB on 95, stands him up, McKittrick drops the JA pass (0,+19)

2nd and 11.5, BUF 1.5 - 76 pulls, Josh has some daylight on the QB draw, but Bolton makes a helluva play (0,+19)

3rd and 11.5, BUF 1.5 - 76 double-teams 95, JA with the laser to Gabe for 18 (+1,+20)

1st and 10, BUF 19 - 76 combo PB, Josh for 3 to Dawesome (+1,+21)

2nd and 7, BUF 22 - 76 with weak PB on 51, rides him outside, JA hits Diggs for 30 (-1,+20) This is the first pressure given up by Saffold

1st and 10, KC 48 - 76 blocks air, Josh to Tupac for 14 (0,+20)

1st and 10, KC 34 - 76 stands up his block, JA to GABE DAVIS FOR THE TOUCHDOWN!!! (+1,+21)

1st half observations

I didn't see the LG described in the Squeelers GDT.  Saffold was solid in the first half, gave up one pressure and only had two negative plays.  He was strong in both running and pass blocking.  His run blocking both straight ahead and pulling was strong.  I'm interested to see what will unfold in the 2nd half.

Bills 6th possession

1st and 10, BUF 41 - 76 goes to 2nd level, misses 32, toss sweep to Motor, 32 makes the TFL -1 (-1,+20)

2nd and 11, BUF 40 - 76 stands up 95 and keeps him away from Josh, who throws a strike to Dawesome down the left sideline for 19 (+1,+21)

1st and 10, KC 40 - 76 RB on 99, swing pass to Motor for 5 (+1,+22)

2nd and 5, KC 35 - 76 block, swing pass to Diggs for 13 (+1,+23)

1st and 10, KC 22 - 76 walls off 95, Motor run right for 5 (+1,+24)

2nd and 5, KC 17 - 76 stones his guy on the LOS, Josh lobs to Diggs for the TD (+1,+25)

Bills 7th possession

1st and 10, BUF 25 - 76 good PB, Josh to McKittrick for 4 (+1,+26)

2nd and 6, BUF 29 - 76 pulls for PB, Josh rolls out the other way to Sweeney for a FD (+1,+27)

1st and 10, BUF 36 - 76 with another strong PB, Josh with play action to Gilliam for a FD (+1,+28)

1st and 10, BUF 47 - 76 blocks air, screen to Diggs for 5 (0,+28)

2nd and 5, KC 48 - 76 blocks 95 to a stalemate, Cook run for 4 (0,+28)

3rd and 1, KC 44 - 76 blocks his guy 4 yards upfield, but 47 sneaks in past Knox and drops Motor for a 2 yard TFL (0,+28)

4th and 3, KC 47 - 76 stands up his guy, pressure elsewhere, Josh throws a duck to Diggs (0,+28)

Bills 8th possession

1st and 10, BUF 24 - 76 stands up 95, Josh screen to Motor for a FD (+1,+29)

1st and 10, BUF 35 - 76 pulls, misses 55 who makes the tackle on Motor for no gain (-1,+28)

2nd and 10, BUF 35 - 76 combo blocks air, Josh INC on slant to Diggs (0,+28)

3rd and 10, BUF 35 - 76 stands up 56, Quessenberry lets 95 trip Josh Allen, ref says "play on" (+1,+29)

Then the no call for the blatant block in the back on Wrap on the PR (refs boned us two plays in a row)

Bills 9th possession

1st and 10, BUF 24 - 76 PB's air, JA pass to Gilliam in the flat for 8 (0,+29)

2nd and 2, BUF 32 - 76 pushes his block 4 yards upfield, Motor shakes and bakes for 1, should have had the 1st down (+1,+30)

3rd and 1, BUF 33 - 76 pushes forward, seals off 91, Motor sweep right, does not get first down (0,+30)

4th and inches, BUF 33 - JA goes right over 76 for the first down, with a nice push from Gabe (+1,+31)

1st and 10, BUF 35 - 76 pushes delayed blitzer outside, Josh to Diggs for 5 (+1,+32)

2nd and 5, BUF 40 - 76 nice pull block, Josh rollout for 3 (+1,+33)

3rd and 2, BUF 43 - 76 stands up 95 at the LOS, Josh to Diggs for FD (+1,+34)

1st and 10, KC 46 - 76 blocks 95, Dunlap with the rejection (0,+35)

2nd and 10, KC 46 - 76 and 60 combo 95, Josh hits Diggs deep down the middle for the FD (+1,+36)

2:00 warning

1st and 10, KC 28 - 76 goes 2nd level, seals off the backside on Josh sweep, and the HURDLE FOR THE FIRST DOWN!! (+1,+36)

1st and 10, KC 12 - 76 stands up 95 at LOS, Josh run left, 2 yd TFL (+1,+37)

2nd and 12, KC 14 - 76 stones 95 on the pass rush, Josh throws a dagger to Dawesome FOR THE TOUCHDOWN!!! (+1,+38)

Bills 10th possession

1st and 10, KC 30 - 76 drives his guy 4 yards upfield, Motor for 6 (+1,+39)

2nd and 4, KC 24 - Victory formation (0,+39)

3rd and 8, KC 28 - Victory formation (0,+39)

4th and 12, KC 34 - Clock runs out

Conclusions

1.  Saffold was superior at both run blocking and pass blocking in this game.

2.  Chris Jones only got the best of him once, but whenever Saffold blocked him, he was a non-factor in the game.

3.  I have him with only one pressure, given up to 51, not 95.

4.  The bad running plays he had was when he had to do reach blocks when pulling or getting to the 2nd level.

5.  I thought he was an astute pick up in the off season, and nothing here changes my mind.  

76 grades overall:

Chefs - A

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 10

• Freddie's Dead changed the title to The Saffold Report - Week 6, Bills v. Chefs, 10/16/22
28 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

1st and 10, KC 49 - 76 PB, Josh throws a ground ball to Tupac INC (0,+8)

This is worth the price of admission alone.

Thanks for doing all that. Most people thought Saffold was a waste the first few games so he either got better last game or a lot of folks were really wrong in their estimation of him.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

This is worth the price of admission alone.

Thanks for doing all that. Most people thought Saffold was a waste the first few games so he either got better last game or a lot of folks were really wrong in their estimation of him.

Remember he missed most of the offseason and a part of training camp after getting hurt in a car accident. Might have taken a few weeks of game action to get back into things.

• Like (+1) 4

48 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I thought Saffold from my eye test had a solid game against the Chiefs, hopefully getting more comfortable in the system and with his teammates leads to improved production.

Don't forget he had that accident prior to training camp so had a couple bruised perhaps cracked ribs.  I could see that injury lingering and affecting his play thus far. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I thought he struggled early in the season and had been getting better.  He played well in the Pittsburgh game - handling a very good player in Hayward much better than we had in the past, but still had a few negative plays.

I thought he was very good against KC - to the point I believe the announcers stated the Chiefs had to move Jones away from him because Saffold was beating him every play.

I think they are getting better as a unit - the left side of the OL has definitely been better than the right and significantly more consistent.  I will continue to give them time as throughout the preseason they could not play together at all.  Saffold was hurt with the car accident, Brown had back surgery, Bates and Morris both missed time, and then they got like one series of live action with Josh.

We will see, but he was not a concern to me in this game and I thought against another ProBowl level player he outplayed Jones and forced the D to move around.  Considering we have played the Rams with Donald, Tennessee with Simmons, Miami with Wilkins, Pittsburgh with Hayward, KC and Jones, and Baltimore who is always tough inside - the OL and Saffold in particular has held up pretty well.  

Miami I think (like most of the team) was his worst game and there have been strides since.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I know it’s a minor tweak but I would like to see Bates go back to left guard and move saffold to right guard

Don't mess with things now. They'll be a well-oiled machine by the end of the season. Like others have said, just think it takes time, especially after the preseason injury.

• Like (+1) 1

I like the scoring system, but I would suggest one scoring tweak.

Assess a larger negative if he gets beat for a sack or gets called for a hold.  Sacks and holding penalties are game changing plays.

So he played 77 plays and ended up with a +39.    What would be the scale  "F "to "A"?

Edited by wjag
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Outstanding Freddie!  

Thanks for taking the time as it is about the only way to slow down the ‘hate herd’ for any specific player.

THIS is the type of detail should be available from vendors that require payment for seemingly arbitrary ratings (see PFF’s abysmal rating of 42.3).

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wjag said:

I like the scoring system, but I would suggest one scoring tweak.

Assess a larger negative if he gets beat for a sack or gets called for a hold.  Sacks and holding penalties are game changing plays.

So he played 77 plays and ended up with a +39.    What would be the scale  "F "to "A"?

I'm trying not to skew the grade with a single bad play.  You can't expect an OL to be perfect.  Giving up a sack is a negative play, but giving it a -5, for example, puts too much emphasis on a bad play.  Should a pancake block get a +3?  I gave him an A because the guy he was going against rarely made the play to stop the runner, and he only gave up one pressure.  The grade is completely subjective, I don't base it on the overall +/- rating.

4 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I'm trying not to skew the grade with a single bad play.  You can't expect an OL to be perfect.  Giving up a sack is a negative play, but giving it a -5, for example, puts too much emphasis on a bad play.  Should a pancake block get a +3?  I gave him an A because the guy he was going against rarely made the play to stop the runner, and he only gave up one pressure.  The grade is completely subjective, I don't base it on the overall +/- rating.

Understood.  I was thinking -2.  Still appreciate the effort on your part.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I thought Saffold from my eye test had a solid game against the Chiefs, hopefully getting more comfortable in the system and with his teammates leads to improved production.

Iirc Saffold was coming off a shoulder injury or some such a thing thru training camp and may not have been in “ football shape “ early on as he was recovering from the injury, this and what you stated, on becoming accustomed to playing with new teammates is likely the answer,👍

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, hemma said:

Outstanding Freddie!  

Thanks for taking the time as it is about the only way to slow down the ‘hate herd’ for any specific player.

THIS is the type of detail should be available from vendors that require payment for seemingly arbitrary ratings (see PFF’s abysmal rating of 42.3).

PFF should sell videos of them using throws at a dart board for determining ratings.

BILL-THE-CAT.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

PFF should sell videos of them using throws at a dart board for determining ratings.

BILL-THE-CAT.jpg

Gag, Ack, Barf.....

28 minutes ago, hemma said:

Outstanding Freddie!  

I can't 'splain that 42.3 Luthy.  I'm guessing that PFF has a grading system that skews negative plays, like his false start penalty, the pressure he gave up to 51, and his missed reach blocks.  That's why I don't like skewing negative plays and giving them greater emphasis.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.