Leslie Frazier's "Spy Games" against Mahomes made possible only because of Von Miller(with pics)

Big Turk

excellent article talking about how Frazier used Miller to go after Mahomes and had the other defenders play off him to contain Mahomes in the pocket. 

Frazier used a 3-2-6 alignment to contain Mahomes in the pocket without taking a defender out of coverage along with aggressive spies(and sometimes multiple spies) that would trigger and rush hard towards him as soon as he broke the pocket.

https://archive.ph/oShmN

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 4

• Big Turk changed the title to Leslie Frazier's "Spy Games" against Mahomes made possible only because of Von Miller(with pics)

And here is an in depth breakdown of the Von Miller sack on 3rd down that got the Bills the ball back for the GW drive by Allen by some KC Guys that seem similar to what Cover 1 does...

Cover 2 High Shell rotated into Cover 1 robber at the snap.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 5

6 hours ago, wppete said:

Excellent article! Frazier has been amazing for this team. Hope we don’t lose him next year. 

If Frazier is not offered a head coaching position next year I will be shocked. He had a great defense last year with no All stars and a dominant one this year when he has all the talent. Someone will want him who already has an offense in place.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

If Frazier is not offered a head coaching position next year I will be shocked. He had a great defense last year with no All stars and a dominant one this year when he has all the talent. Someone will want him who already has an offense in place.

An intelligent GM who has a young, bright OC will.

25 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

What's the going rate on Frazier promotion again? I think it's two years consecutive 3rd rounders, for a coach, and 3 for a GM?

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

I doubt Frazier gets offered a HC gig again. He is old and most teams are looking for young offensive coaches.  Frazier is a great coach and I am glad we have him though.

I'd love for him to finish his career as our DC

• Agree 1

Love the 3-2-6. It’ll be weapon in obvious passing downs with mobileQBs. My only concern is Neal as the 6th DB. I think this role goes to Benford when Tre works back in. Dane will be back up to Elam and White on the outside as Benford offers a bit more physicality from the slot area. 

• Agree 3

20 hours ago, Big Turk said:

excellent article talking about how Frazier used Miller to go after Mahomes and had the other defenders play off him to contain Mahomes in the pocket. 

Frazier used a 3-2-6 alignment to contain Mahomes in the pocket without taking a defender out of coverage along with aggressive spies(and sometimes multiple spies) that would trigger and rush hard towards him as soon as he broke the pocket.

https://archive.ph/oShmN

Goodness!  That's a paywalled article.  Guess there's nothing the Interwebs "can't get pregnant".

I got a question for the rules-minded and football knowledgeable here.

The author comments about a "simple counter" for the Bills "Spy" strategy where Thuney (LG) will attack and block Milano pre-emptively before he can trigger and flow to Mahome.  This is 3rd and 13 from the Buffalo 29 yd line. 

Capture.JPG

If I'm counting correctly, Milano is lurking on the 28 yd line here, and Thuney on the 32, 33 yd line

He moves toward Milano to engage him, and the author's idea is that engaging Milano prevents Milano from triggering.

But isn't it true that if Thuney engages Milano more than 1 yd from the LOS, he becomes "ineligible man downfield" on a pass play?  It's a good counter to have Thuney ready to block aggressively if Mahomes scrambles of course.

And in fact, it seems to me Milano continues to lurk 1 yd past the LOS watching Mahomes while Thuney waits at the 31 like a chained dog until Mahomes crosses the LOS.  Then Milano shoots the gap and is in on the tackle

Capture1.JPG

Capture3.JPG

I kind of find it hard to believe Milano couldn't evade Thuney and rush up field if he wants - in fact, he backs up a yard at one point during the play, and may even be trying to pull Thuney with him? (unsure about that)

Of course, there's a chance that Thuney could get away with engaging Milano downfield and the Zebras wouldn't trigger, it just seems to me it's not such as simple counter because of the "ineligible downfield" rule.

Edited by Beck Water

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Goodness!  That's a paywalled article.  Guess there's nothing the Interwebs "can't get pregnant".

I got a question for the rules-minded and football knowledgeable here.

The author comments about a "simple counter" for the Bills "Spy" strategy where Thuney (LG) will attack and block Milano pre-emptively before he can trigger and flow to Mahome.  This is 3rd and 13 from the Buffalo 29 yd line. 

Capture.JPG

Haha...yeah archive offers an alternative to that...a lot easier than opening up a DevTools window and reading through the HTML, which is what I would normally do(being a software engineer comes in handy at times :) )

I believe Mahomes would have to be running or they could have an illegal man downfield issue...I am not sure if that is legal if he is outside the pocket, I know a lot of illegal contact/DPI stuff doesn't apply in those cases

Edited by Big Turk

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.