A Few Thoughts about the Chiefs Game, in no particular order

Virgil

Nice write up.  It's a little thing, but I liked the way they put Davis in motion on the short yardage plays and he pushed Allen forward.  I don't think I've seen that before.  Nice wrinkle.  I could do without Allen going Renaldo Nehemiah anymore this year unless absolutely necessary.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Mistakes.  There have been several comments about points left on the board, mistakes, etc.   There also have been several comments about how the Bills' margin of victory is becoming historic, and I think the two are related.   When you have an offense that can perform like this offense, and a defense that can perform like this defense, you can take more chances.   Even if you screw up, there's a good chance that the offense or the defense or both will bail you out.   So, the smart thing to do is to push the envelope and take more chances.   That necessarily will result in more mistakes.   In the face of a good pass rush, Tom Brady would fall to the ground, take the sack, move on to the next play, because minimizing mistakes was part of what made him great.   In the face of a good pass rush, like Chris Jones coming at him, Allen looks for ways to extend the play.   Does he get in trouble sometimes?   Yes, but he also makes some jaw-dropping plays that Brady only wet dreams about.   I think we'll always see some mistakes from this team. 

Corrected.

7 hours ago, Rico said:

Agreed that the Rat has a very punchable face, the fugliest player in the league. My favorite shot of him was after Josh’s hurdle, such seething jealousy.

His lips appeared animated with CGI in real time. 

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

That open field tackle by Milano was incredible.

Oddly enough he was one of the lowest graded Bills this week.

It is clear the PFF graders did not understand Milano is a unicorn and did not understand what he was doing.  

BILL-THE-CAT.jpg

I hope they have a safe trip home on their short yellow bus home.

short-bus.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Virgil said:

3 - Mahomes - Before the break, I did want to take a moment and really appreciate the talent we got to witness in Patrick out there.  No matter what happens, Josh is the perfect QB for the Bills and I wouldn't change a thing, but Mahomes operates in just a very different way.  Sometimes, I think his swagger is a little arrogant and he can have a punchable face.  But he almost dances with the ball behind the line.  Where Josh is a psychopath wrecking ball, Mahomes is a graceful ballerina (no pun intended).  All of his movements, throws, and overall stature on the field looks effortless and make you think anyone could do it.  The fact that we get one half of the new Brady/Manning era is amazing, and I'm almost appreciative that the other guy is Mahomes.

Just wanted to jump in on this particular subject here....I'm definitely with you about the magic both these QBs do game in and game out. It's clearly (or should be crystal clear) that these 2 QB's are the best in the league right now and by a very good size margine. There's no Rodgers, Brady etc even worth mentioning anymore and their time has passed. There's no Herbert, or any other QB in the league right now that's even close enough to discussing.

I feel after that KC game with the show Josh put on he has (at the moment that is) made some of those that had P.Mahomes at 1 and Josh 2 to switch it around. But both are neck and neck and everyone else is JV

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Logic said:

Thanks for the writeup.

Just wanted to comment on the quoted items above.

1 - This is my favorite part about Dorsey so far. The way he moves Diggs around and, unlike Daboll, basically doesn't allow defenses to take him out of the ball game. The way Dorsey has schemed up ways to isolate Diggs on a linebacker the past few weeks is a thing of beauty.

3 - Mahomes is amazing. In all of the dislike of other teams and the Bills-centric viewing habits, I hope Bills fans are able to step back every now and again and appreciate just how awesome Mahomes is and how great it is that we live in an era where we get to watch Josh Allen AND Patrick Mahomes. He will be Allen's primary rival throughout his career. There's no doubt about it.

6 - I agree that the Bills need to get over the dumb mistakes. The one silver lining is that it seems that for the first time in a long time, they're learning to do just that. A mistake-filled start like the one we saw against Baltimore or in moments against the Chiefs used to doom this team. Not any more. They FINALLY seem to be learning to consistently push through that adversity and come out on top. Still, it would be better if they didn't make the mistakes to begin with, obviously.

9 - I hope Motor's usage this week means that the running back by committee experiment is over and he'll be the bellcow going forward. Let Cook be the change of pace, and if you want a third back active, let's see what Duke Johnson's got.

10 - This game ABSOLUTELY meant more to McDermott. I think that beating his mentor gets him fired up, and I think that beating the other "best team in the league" gets him fired up. One need only watch the post-game speech he gave to see just how fired up he really was.

Enjoy the bye week, Virgil.

GO BILLS!!!

It's a long season - i don't mind heavy usage in a game like this.  But Id want to run some wear and tear on moss and cook over the course of the year so A - Cook is more ready and B - So Singletary has fresh legs for the games the playoffs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, RunJoshRun said:

Agreed about McK - get him out of the starting slot receiver.

This was an interesting one.  McKenzie played 37 snaps to Shakirs 15 and Hodgins 3.  Sweeney had 8, Gilliam had 21, and Morris had 12.  

I wouldn't mind seeing that number be closer to even between McKenzie and Shakir - he's earned a boost in playing time.  But I do like that we rotated both TE's in not entirely Jumbo sets, and used our fullback a few times in the passing game.  The PA pass to Sweeney was nice too, easy read pitch n catch.  

5 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

lol PFF is drunk.

He had 3 solo tackles, 3 combined tackles, and 3 missed tackles.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue

I really can’t express adequately in words what JA17 and PH15 means to football.  And as much as KC and Buffalo fans may not want to admit it, they are both necessary for the good of the game.  No one wants another era of football where one QB and one team dominate the league.  

The KC-Buf series is compelling, must see TV. And both fan bases have their heart in their throat watching every drop back.  And the best  part is that you don’t know the outcome.  

The 2 QBs have vastly different styles but are both as dangerous as anyone has been in the league for years.  How lucky we are to watch it.

Brady and Rodgers rarely played H2H.  Brady and Manning did but only 10 or so times in their careers.  

Josh and Patrick have played 5 times already, likely a 6th time later this year and a 7th time next year and both are only 26-27 years old. We could be looking at a series between them of 15-20 or more times over their careers.  And I’m here for it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

He was? That has to be a mistake.  He was everywhere on that field, and made several tackles that saved either first downs, or substantially larger gains. Whatever grading system graded him low, must not take those things into consideration.   

17 hours ago, Einstein said:

Yeah he graded in the 40’s.

2101-F567-09-BB-4-C53-8855-7-BE499801-D0

I don't subscribe to PFF grades, but I imaging it's his first-half play that contributed to a poorer grade. That game was a tale of two halves for Milano.

14 hours ago, Irv said:

Nice write up.  It's a little thing, but I liked the way they put Davis in motion on the short yardage plays and he pushed Allen forward.  I don't think I've seen that before.  Nice wrinkle.  I could do without Allen going Renaldo Nehemiah anymore this year unless absolutely necessary.  

I've noticed a couple teams doing this in the past couple weeks, man in motion timed to be behind the QB at the snap to push the pile. Pretty successful so far, but if/when defenses plan for it, it provides a tell when the ball will be snapped. Will be interesting to see this wrinkle evolve on both sides.

11 hours ago, Ga boy said:

Virg:  Any random thoughts in no particular order @ James Cook #28?  Like is he the real deal??  Like can he “Rock me like a wagon wheel” as in nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills 🦬😲

Trust the process.  If he was good enough to be playing, he would be 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, wjag said:

I really can’t express adequately in words what JA17 and PH15 means to football.  And as much as KC and Buffalo fans may not want to admit it, they are both necessary for the good of the game.  No one wants another era of football where one QB and one team dominate the league.  

The KC-Buf series is compelling, must see TV. And both fan bases have their heart in their throat watching every drop back.  And the best  part is that you don’t know the outcome.  

The 2 QBs have vastly different styles but are both as dangerous as anyone has been in the league for years.  How lucky we are to watch it.

Brady and Rodgers rarely played H2H.  Brady and Manning did but only 10 or so times in their careers.  

Josh and Patrick have played 5 times already, likely a 6th time later this year and a 7th time next year and both are only 26-27 years old. We could be looking at a series between them of 15-20 or more times over their careers.  And I’m here for it. 

They ruin watching football with the other 30 teams tho...OMG some of the QB play in these games...🤮🤮🤮🤮

• Like (+1) 4

12 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

This was an interesting one.  McKenzie played 37 snaps to Shakirs 15 and Hodgins 3.  Sweeney had 8, Gilliam had 21, and Morris had 12.  

I wouldn't mind seeing that number be closer to even between McKenzie and Shakir - he's earned a boost in playing time.  But I do like that we rotated both TE's in not entirely Jumbo sets, and used our fullback a few times in the passing game.  The PA pass to Sweeney was nice too, easy read pitch n catch.  

He had 3 solo tackles, 3 combined tackles, and 3 missed tackles.  

Again, PFF doesn’t know what his true assignment was. How many times did he force Mahomes to rush a play like on the pick by Johnson? If you watch carefully you’ll see he did a great job in his “spy” capacity.

Great write up Virgil.  When you were talking about Josh being backed up to the goal line in the first half, and then jumped to the TD to Knox, I was surprised you didn’t mention the throw to Gabe on 3rd and 13 at the one yard line with about a minute left in the half. 

That throw was amazingly gutsy, and to be aggressive in that situation was the most “unBillsy” thing ever.  For over a decade the Bills would have punted on third down in that situation. But with Josh, all things are possible. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Great write up Virgil.  When you were talking about Josh being backed up to the goal line in the first half, and then jumped to the TD to Knox, I was surprised you didn’t mention the throw to Gabe on 3rd and 13 at the one yard line with about a minute left in the half. 

That throw was amazingly gutsy, and to be aggressive in that situation was the most “unBillsy” thing ever.  For over a decade the Bills would have punted on third down in that situation. But with Josh, all things are possible. 

Legit question...how many teams backed up at the 2 yard line like the Bills were late in the half would have just tried to find a way to run the clock down and get out of the half without having to punt and give the Chiefs the ball back and consider that a HUGE win? Maybe 29 of them?  30 of them?

The Bills causally just are like...nah...we got this and march 98 yards in barely over a minute for a TD 😂

Sometimes I have to wonder if I am watching a different sport than other teams are playing.

Edited by Big Turk

39 minutes ago, Ta111 said:

Again, PFF doesn’t know what his true assignment was. How many times did he force Mahomes to rush a play like on the pick by Johnson? If you watch carefully you’ll see he did a great job in his “spy” capacity.

That was just stats - his stats say he missed 3 tackles.  Thats a lot. 

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

That was just stats - his stats say he missed 3 tackles.  Thats a lot. 

I'm not sure how many points they could have assigned for his open field tackle on Pacheco after he caught the pass and was running laterally towards the sideline and potentially turning it upfield if Milano doesn't make that tackle with nothing but 30 yards of green grass in front of him, but that might have been one of the best open field tackles I have seen in the last 5 years.  

He runs with him laterally(Pacheco runs a 4.38 40), then makes a diving tackle and he didn't just barely trip him up, he perfect two leg wrap up form-tackled him to the ground...just an amazing play.

I mean maybe they thought on that pass to McKinnon right before the half where he picks up 19 yards and gets out of bounds on the first play of their drive before the FG they thought Milano was supposed to cover him, but he was clearly doing his "spy game" move and waiting for Mahomes to break the pocket...although not sure why the Bills would call that D with only 12 seconds left...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I'm not sure how many points they could have assigned for his open field tackle on Pacheco after he caught the pass and was running laterally towards the sideline and potentially turning it upfield if Milano doesn't make that tackle with nothing but 30 yards of green grass in front of him, but that might have been one of the best open field tackles I have seen in the last 5 years.  

He runs with him laterally(Pacheco runs a 4.38 40), then makes a diving tackle and he didn't just barely trip him up, he perfect two leg wrap up form-tackled him to the ground...just an amazing play.

I mean maybe they thought on that pass to McKinnon right before the half where he picks up 19 yards and gets out of bounds on the first play of their drive before the FG they thought Milano was supposed to cover him, but he was clearly doing his "spy game" move and waiting for Mahomes to break the pocket...although not sure why the Bills would call that D with only 12 seconds left...

Missed tackles aren't missed coverage by PFF.  It's he tried to tackle someone and didn't. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.