Old time Bill’s fans re:1972 Dolphins

Toledo Bill

I remember one of the games we played them that year.....Mercury Morris fumbled and we recovered....but he was ruled down....replay showed he wasn't....Would have been over turned  in today's replay world....We had the lead at that point and would have most likely put the game away....not sure if there is video still available of that game

• Angry 1

49 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

Is there anything more irritating to those of us that suffered thru their “perfect season” (and annual celebrations after undefeated teams lose) than to hear about the 50 year anniversary of that team?

I doubt it is just me that gets annoyed over this.

I will pause my hate of the Dolphins for a brief moment to say that a perfect season is an incredible accomplishment. Nothing but respect for achievements like that. 

With that said, my hate for that team is now back on. To be honest, I am still more irritated at losing 20 straight games to that f*****g team.

I wish they would never win another game...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, tomdayfan said:

There was one game that season that they only won by one point. It was against us.

If my memory isn't deceiving me, I believe there was a phantom pass interference call on Robert James that affected the outcome of the game. When the Bills beat the Dolphins in 1980 I joined the post-game celebration on the field and sat on the Bills' bench and soaked in the glory of it all.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, tomdayfan said:

There was one game that season that they only won by one point. It was against us.

My Godfather was the assistant defensive co-ordinator for that team.  (Miami week was deeply conflicting for my family.)  On their local 20th anniversary special, the consensus was that the only game they should have lost was this Buffalo game.  The players and coaches could remember specific plays where they flat out got lucky the ball bounced their way, got a call which they should not have, or a non-call went their way.  "That team was way tougher than 4 wins."

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Toledo Bill said:

Is there anything more irritating to those of us that suffered thru their “perfect season” (and annual celebrations after undefeated teams lose) than to hear about the 50 year anniversary of that team?

I doubt it is just me that gets annoyed over this.

Agreed, the only good thing is that a lot of those players and the fans who waved the white hankies are dead. :) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Perfect season is a great accomplishment and something that can never be improved upon, so a tip of the hat for that feat.

But to see these old men clinging to it each and every year by hoping nobody ever does the same thing and celebrating with champagne when the last undefeated team in the league finally loses a game? Well, that is just pitiful. Kinda sad, actually. 

1 hour ago, dwight in philly said:

The one game that irritates me is when Jerry Bergman , a back judge ruled a "non fumble recovery" made by  Pat Toomay that would have sealed the game in 1975.. next play Don Nottingham runs for the game winning TD.. 

Or how about the 1979 season opener? Lost to them 9-7. If I remember correctly they missed a FG at the end to win it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dwight in philly said:

The one game that irritates me is when Jerry Bergman , a back judge ruled a "non fumble recovery" made by  Pat Toomay that would have sealed the game in 1975.. next play Don Nottingham runs for the game winning TD.. 

I remember Toomay going NUTS over that call.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

Perfect season is a great accomplishment and something that can never be improved upon, so a tip of the hat for that feat.

But to see these old men clinging to it each and every year by hoping nobody ever does the same thing and celebrating with champagne when the last undefeated team in the league finally loses a game? Well, that is just pitiful. Kinda sad, actually. 

Why is it sad ? Gives them a cool tradition and gets them together every year. Nothing wrong with that 

3 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

This is a new beginning for the Bills, since 2018.

Take the Von Miller approach:

Burn it. Burn it all down....

it is a good philosophy. I actually am not one that tends to hang on to negative emotions. However, there are certain things that still stay with me to some degree.

But not enough to keep me from enjoying the renaissance taking place with my team...

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.