PFF grades from KC...(for what they're worth)

DrDawkinstein

I don't care if we don't sign McCaffrey or OBJ. I want to keep Poyer and get help for our below average OL. I love Spencer Brown's innate ability, but watching him attempt to block is a nightmare. Bates is a backup and for whatever reason, Saffold has been underperforming -- lingering affects from his car accident? This is clearly our biggest area of concern, if not our only area of concern.

OBJ would be a nice add, but not if it keeps Davis or Shakir on the bench. McCaffrey would be a nice add, but not as nice as a probowl caliber RT or even RG. Singletary is playing very well and no one notices. Cook will be fine if not great as long as he focuses on ball security. Upgrade the OL and you upgrade the skill positions.

Big names sell tickets. McCaffrey and OBJ have earned their reputations, but we don't want other teams doing to us what Miller and Rousseau are doing to them. That takes the ball out of the hands of our very talented weapons a few times per game. Josh is good under pressure, but he's unstoppable with a clean pocket. So let's upgrade the whole offense.

On 10/19/2022 at 12:01 PM, eball said:

Don’t buy the hype.  Anyone who watched saw the game-changing and game-saving plays Milano was making.

As I said…the positive grades are pretty easy to figure out.  The negative grades are subjectively made by part-time “analysts” who have no idea what play was called or what a player’s responsibility was.

I think you're just expecting the grades to represent data that they don't. You can have a on overall weak performance and still make huge clutch plays resulting ina  low overall score.

They lay this out pretty transparently: https://www.pff.com/grades

it's just data. It's not personal. Of course there are limitations, as there are with any ability to grade (even the "eye test"), but the implementation appears to be logical

16 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I never take their player grades seriously.  They have no idea what the player is asked to do and if he did what he was supposed to.  Milano was key to that win and has been playing lights out all year. 

They address this:

"

YOU DON’T KNOW THE PLAY CALL?

We are certainly not in the huddle, but we are grading what a player attempts to do on a given play. While football is extremely nuanced regarding the preparation and adjustments that go into each play call, once the ball is snapped, most players are clear in what they’re trying to accomplish on each play, and we evaluate accordingly. Of course, there are always some gray areas in football. Plays in which there is a clear question mark regarding assignment, we can defer to a “0” grade and not guess as to which player is right or wrong. These plays are few and far between and since we are grading every snap, missing out on a handful throughout the year should not affect player evaluations. Examples of potential gray areas include coverage busts, quarterback/wide receiver miscommunications and missed blocking assignments. "

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/19/2022 at 4:33 PM, BullBuchanan said:

Milano gave up a 100% completion percentage on 3 targets, a 106.9 QBR against and had 3 missed tackles. Statistically, it was his worst game of the season. In addition he made a couple of bad reads on the play. He was still a beast out there, but I can see where the low grade comes from.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MilaMa00/gamelog/2022/advanced/

First of all thank for all your reasonable posts on this topic. I understand that PFF is far for ideal but the manner and scope in which people are bashing them because they don't like their grading re specific players is ridiculous imo.

Anyway, to follow up on your link, here is the video where PFF is actually commenting on Milano grade.

Milano is from 50:45. They go futher than PFR and they are saying that he gave up 6 catches on 6 targets to 70+ yards and that 4 of those catches were for the first down. They also confirmed PFR's 3 missed tackles (one of which was that brutal one in the first half next to sideline which is discussed in this thread).

Now I would really like to know if they are right. Unfortunately I don't have time to rewatch again and find those 6 targets. It is a shame that they don't show them in the video, that would increase their credibility in my eyes.

But if that is the truth, I can understand the low grade, since you can't judge a players game based on the highlight plays only. However, in that case, I also think that grading is flawed if every snap has the same value, so that half "bad snaps" and half great snaps including some game-changing plays can result in 42 or something grade.

On 10/21/2022 at 5:36 AM, No_Matter_What said:

First of all thank for all your reasonable posts on this topic. I understand that PFF is far for ideal but the manner and scope in which people are bashing them because they don't like their grading re specific players is ridiculous imo.

Anyway, to follow up on your link, here is the video where PFF is actually commenting on Milano grade.

Milano is from 50:45. They go futher than PFR and they are saying that he gave up 6 catches on 6 targets to 70+ yards and that 4 of those catches were for the first down. They also confirmed PFR's 3 missed tackles (one of which was that brutal one in the first half next to sideline which is discussed in this thread).

Now I would really like to know if they are right. Unfortunately I don't have time to rewatch again and find those 6 targets. It is a shame that they don't show them in the video, that would increase their credibility in my eyes.

But if that is the truth, I can understand the low grade, since you can't judge a players game based on the highlight plays only. However, in that case, I also think that grading is flawed if every snap has the same value, so that half "bad snaps" and half great snaps including some game-changing plays can result in 42 or something grade.

It's not that every snap has the same value, just that they are judged on the same scale of -2 to +2. If you look at their rubric though, they do grade impact plays more aggressively to the -2 and +2 sides. PFF has been rating Milano very highly for most of his career. They have justification for their grades and I thought that Milano wasn't having one of his better games when watching, in spite of the good plays he did make. There's a lot of "can do no wrong" that floats around here and the rest of Bills fandom once a player enters a protected class, and it doesn't matter what numbers you have to back it up.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.