PFF grades from KC...(for what they're worth)

DrDawkinstein

Going back and watching the highlights I focused in on Edmunds and maybe coincidentally they were some of his poorest plays, but an impact defender he was not. What gets me is the same thing that frustrates me most about his career as a coverage LBer - he almost always puts himself in position to make a play, but always seems content to let his assignment catch the ball so he can run and make the tackle. He never jumps routes.
Look at the pass to Kelce right before half, Edmunds runs right up to him and literally waits for him to catch the ball. I’d love to see him drive on the route once he recognizes the open receiver. He’d get far more INTs and PDs.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

All the Highs make sense, but some of the lows have me scratching my head.

WTF are the grading Milano on? I caught the re-air of the game last night and Cookie was all over the field making big plays. Also thought JP and Shaq had good games.

Classic PFF I guess.

Who else stood out, good or bad, to you guys?

Tough to disagree with anything here on the Offensive side.

1 hour ago, eball said:

And this, my friend, is why I continue to refuse to take PFF seriously, particularly for low grades.  The high grades are usually obvious to anyone who watched the game.

Milano gave up a 100% completion percentage on 3 targets, a 106.9 QBR against and had 3 missed tackles. Statistically, it was his worst game of the season. In addition he made a couple of bad reads on the play. He was still a beast out there, but I can see where the low grade comes from.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MilaMa00/gamelog/2022/advanced/

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

PFF graders don't understand football. Those positions are out-sourced.

No rational disagreement possible.  They clearly don't.

But that's not how they market themselves.  It's supposed to be neutral, unbiased, performance-based grading by carefully trained observers

https://www.pff.com/grades

The PFF grading system evaluates every player on every play during a football game. We believe that #EveryPlayCounts and that attention to detail provides insights and data that cannot be found anywhere else. The grading system was founded on the principle of grading “production” rather than traits or measurables, but perhaps a better way to describe it is a player’s “contribution to production” on a given play. 

The benefits of this style of grading are numerous. Taking every play into consideration allows for a larger sample size of data to tell the proper story rather than just a highlight reel of plays that we tend to remember, for better or worse. We also work to eliminate bias by not caring about the level of player who is being graded, so whether it’s the best tackle in the league missing a block or one of the worst, the same grade is given. Preconceived level of ability has no impact on the grading system. This style has worked well in unlocking undervalued gems through the years, while also not being swayed by player hype if it is undeserved.

Each position has its own grading rubric so our analysts know how to put a grade on the various expectations for a quarterback on a 10-yard pass beyond the sticks or what the range of grades might look like for a frontside offensive tackle down blocking on a “power” play. 

There is then an adjustment made to the “raw” grades to adjust for what the player is “expected” to earn given his situation on the field. For instance, a player’s grade may be adjusted down slightly if he plays in a situation that is historically more favorable while a player in more unfavorable circumstances may get an adjustment the other way. We collect over 200 fields of data on each play, and that data helps to determine what the baseline, or expectation, is for each player on every play.

Each grade goes into a specific “facet” of play in order to properly assess each player’s skillset. The facets include passing, rushing, receiving, pass blocking, run blocking, pass-rushing, run defense and coverage. Special teamers also have their own facets of kicking, punting, returning and general special teams play. Facets are important in order to have a clear view of where a player’s strengths and weaknesses lie. 

And what they say about their graders:

WHO IS DOING THE GRADING?

PFF employs over 600 full or part-time analysts, but less than 10% of analysts are trained to the level that they can grade plays. Only the top two to three percent of analysts are on the team of “senior analysts” in charge of finalizing each grade after review. Our graders have been training for months, and sometimes years, in order to learn, understand and show mastery of our process that includes our 300-page training manual and video playbook. We have analysts from all walks of life, including former players, coaches and scouts. We don’t care if you played.

Each grade is reviewed at least once, and usually multiple times, using every camera angle available, including All-22 coaches’ tape.

Their assertion is that each grade is reviewed by a group of 12-18 "senior analysts"

Isaiah McKenzie has a higher grade than Matt Milano.

That pretty much tells you all you need to know about PFF's grading system.

As someone on Twitter said, there's a reason NFL teams pay them for their raw data but not for their grades/opinions. 

Michael Jackson Trash GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Saffold, Brown and Bates are going to be an issue all year. Saffold is just awful and is clearly our weakest olineman.  Spencer has regressed and at times even Q outplays him. 

OL needs to be a priority this off-season. Bates likely isn’t going anywhere, at least next year, given his contract but I wonder if he’ll move back to LG. He seemed serviceable at worst there last year. Either way, Beane needs to address it. 

20 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

No rational disagreement possible.  They clearly don't.

But that's not how they market themselves.  It's supposed to be neutral, unbiased, performance-based grading by carefully trained observers

https://www.pff.com/grades

And what they say about their graders:

Their assertion is that each grade is reviewed by a group of 12-18 "senior analysts"

They ran out of hungover college kids to do their manual labor for them so they've out-sourced it to India for a while now.

Image.jpeg.thumb.jpg.beeb7618d55acefade541f74ba1f8b8a.jpg

• Awesome! (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Process said:

Bates needs to be moved to LG. He was solid there last year. Let Saffold suck at RG or just bench him who cares. 

I think there's a chance Q keeps the starting T Jon even when Brown comes back. 

Our first four picks in the draft next year needs to look something like OL OL WR OL. 

8 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

OL needs to be a priority this off-season. Bates likely isn’t going anywhere, at least next year, given his contract but I wonder if he’ll move back to LG. He seemed serviceable at worst there last year. Either way, Beane needs to address it. 

Yeah, we know Beane doesnt mind stacking picks at same/similar positions. So I am looking for a re-do of the Wood/Levitre draft where we go Center/Guard in rounds 1 and 2. And then maybe even back to that well later in draft (the equivalent of Benford to Elam).

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

All the Highs make sense, but some of the lows have me scratching my head.

WTF are the grading Milano on? I caught the re-air of the game last night and Cookie was all over the field making big plays. Also thought JP and Shaq had good games.

Classic PFF I guess.

Who else stood out, good or bad, to you guys?

Tough to disagree with anything here on the Offensive side.

I disagree with McKenzie. It should be lower. For me, the jury is in. He’s a liability and we’re better off without him. I get it that his speed is a trait opponent’s have to be wary of. But he’s a clutz and can’t be trusted to hold onto the ball.  

• Agree 2

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

I disagree with McKenzie. It should be lower. For me, the jury is in. He’s a liability and we’re better off without him. I get it that his speed is a trait opponent’s have to be wary of. But he’s a clutz and can’t be trusted to hold onto the ball.  

So far I've preferred Dorsey's playcalling to Daboll's.

The one thing I want to see brought back from Daboll's playbook were the jet sweep actions to McKenzie. Even when he didn't actually get the ball, his speed and the threat of it forced defenses to have another thing to account for before the snap. A split second of hesitation by a defender before the ball is snapped can make all the difference.

I have advocated for, and will continue to advocate for, Shakir becoming the primary WR3 and starting slot receiver, and McKenzie returning to his WR4/gadget role.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Logic said:

The one thing I want to see brought back from Daboll's playbook were the jet sweep actions to McKenzie. Even when he didn't actually get the ball, his speed and the threat of it forced defenses to have another thing to account for before the snap. A split second of hesitation by a defender before the ball is snapped can make all the difference.

I have advocated for, and will continue to advocate for, Shakir becoming the primary WR3 and starting slot receiver, and McKenzie returning to his WR4/gadget role.

This post is filled with Logic.  Totally agree with everything.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Going back and watching the highlights I focused in on Edmunds and maybe coincidentally they were some of his poorest plays, but an impact defender he was not. What gets me is the same thing that frustrates me most about his career as a coverage LBer - he almost always puts himself in position to make a play, but always seems content to let his assignment catch the ball so he can run and make the tackle. He never jumps routes.
Look at the pass to Kelce right before half, Edmunds runs right up to him and literally waits for him to catch the ball. I’d love to see him drive on the route once he recognizes the open receiver. He’d get far more INTs and PDs.

He’s no Polamalu that’s for sure. I’d kill for someone with those kind of attack aggression skills in a defender. 

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

I’m with you, here. McKenzie had time in grade and was therefore slotted to replace Beasley, but he isn’t up to it and I don’t think he ever will be. Don’t know enough about Shakir, but I like everything I’ve seen to date -including his no nonsense approach. A quiet toughness beats a class clown every time.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

What if I told you....Khalil Shakir and James Cook have a much higher drop % (18% and 14%), and that McKenzie has the same drop % as Gabe Davis on exactly the same number of targets (McKenzie has a higher catch % though, to be expected given the routes both run)? 

I get it, I get it.  11 of the Twelve Angry Men have spoken. 

giphy.gif

Not saying you were part of it, but only 2 weeks ago the tar was hot and the pitchforks were brandished for Gabe Davis, now he's great!

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm assuming Kelce's big game is why Milano was graded so low.  That shouldn't be on him.  But man, that open field tackle he made was elite.  If he doesn't make that tackle, that's 6 points for KC.

Just now, Beck Water said:

What if I told you....Khalil Shakir and James Cook have a much higher drop % (18% and 14%), and that McKenzie has the same drop % as Gabe Davis on exactly the same number of targets (McKenzie has a higher catch % though)? 

giphy.gif

McKenzie is a veteran.  Shakir and Cook are rookies learning to play in the league.  McKenzie is on this team because he's supposed to be reliable.  Him making drive killing mistakes isn't someone you'd think you can rely on.  I expect Cook and Shakir to make those mistakes, not someone that's been here for 5 years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I'm a historical Edmunds detractor, but I also understand his assignments.

I dont expect him to jump routes per se, because if he does and misses, the receiver is GONE. His job is to keep everything in front of him, give them those short underneath completions as their only option, then make the tackle. The problem before was that he wasnt making that tackle. Now he is. I will give him that. It's huge.

Agreed, I wish he would find himself in better position to tip/deflect passes. Given his length and range you would think we'd see more. He has shown improvement in those numbers this year, but they arent quite where Kuechly's numbers were playing the same role in the same scheme.

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

What if I told you....Khalil Shakir and James Cook have a much higher drop % (18% and 14%), and that McKenzie has the same drop % as Gabe Davis on exactly the same number of targets (McKenzie has a higher catch % though)? 

giphy.gif

Your willful blinders on McKenzie's poor performance and lack of reliability given 5 years of data is impressive, I'll give you that.

2 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Why waste the space on this?

Could ask the same about your post.

We dont have to agree with the grades, but they are good jump-off points that lead into better discussion. Thanks for contributing!

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.