PFF grades from KC...(for what they're worth)

DrDawkinstein

2 minutes ago, Chuck Schick said:

I also thought Hamlin had a poor game.  He seems fast as hell but loves to dive (and vs KC, miss) when tackling.  Not a good trait as a Safety.

Interesting point. I cant disagree about his poor tackling in KC, but in the previous couple of games he showed great form and was a solid tackler.

I'll chalk it up to KC being really good on Offense and being good/smart enough to catch him in bad positions where he had to stretch or dive to try to make a play.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm forced to conclude that the PFF graders pretty much don't understand team defense.

I suspect later this season you will have the same comment about all-pro voters. 

Bills have the top DVOA ranking despite just having played probably the only comparable offense in the league, but they will get slighted in the all-pro voting.

30 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Saffold and Bates…whoof

Our guard play is going to be a problem all year I’m afraid. 

Brown was getting beat a lot before he left the game with an injury. He looked bad.

Not getting sacked doesn’t tell the whole story either. Josh was facing quite a bit of pressure for decent stretches of the game. 

Saffold, Brown and Bates are going to be an issue all year. Saffold is just awful and is clearly our weakest olineman.  Spencer has regressed and at times even Q outplays him. 

2 minutes ago, Lost said:

What was Taron Johnson's score?  He got picked on a bit early in the game but made up for it later with the play of his career.

Siran Neals score seems a bit high lol.  He had a rough rough day.

Given what we know about Taron, I assumed him getting picked on early had to do with the schemes we were running and purposely pushing the ball to those spots. And when the time came, he made the play he needed to.

It was such a coaching chess match of adjustments and readjustments, and both teams doing it so well.

6 minutes ago, Lost said:

What was Taron Johnson's score?  He got picked on a bit early in the game but made up for it later with the play of his career.

Siran Neals score seems a bit high lol.  He had a rough rough day.

101 yard pick 6 vs. Baltimore in the playoffs was the play of his career.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Saffold, Brown and Bates are going to be an issue all year. Saffold is just awful and is clearly our weakest olineman.  Spencer has regressed and at times even Q outplays him. 

Fortunately Josh most of the time has the Houdini gene.  I wonder if O line weakness is a blessing in disguise because teams see what's going on and lose track of our receivers.  The Josh TD passes vs. KC to Diggs, Gabe and Knox were all throws only a few QB's even think about making, they all had completion probabilities in the mid-high 20% probability.

On the defensive side

Edmunds seems too high - I thought he was fine. Not bad, but not 3rd best defender either

Milano is too low - he stood out in a good way with a strong game

Neal is too low - he had a bad game and deserves bottom 5, but a 22 is overkill

On the offensive side

Mckenzie is too high - my guy had a disaster of a game. Responsible for taking at least 10 points off the board

How is Sweeney in the top 3 ? I never noticed him (which I'll admit is a good thing when he's blocking). 

4 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

I suspect later this season you will have the same comment about all-pro voters. 

Bills have the top DVOA ranking despite just having played probably the only comparable offense in the league, but they will get slighted in the all-pro voting.

Well, I had that comment about both pro bowl and all pro voting last season, so that would be nothing new.  I dunno who votes for all-pro, but being a football writer doesn't make someone a good X's and O's gal or guy with an understanding of how someone's job in a defense breaks down.

But PFF advertises itself as producing unbiased grades based on each players role on each play and how well they execute it (or don't)

It's nothing new there either for me to be skeptical of PFF grades, especially for position groups where play as a unit is key like OL and DL, but I can continue to be disappointed.

Pff is hardly the go to for player grades, 

Re: Milano score.   There was one play on the first KC drive where Mahomes threw a pass to Hardman and Milano looked to be in position to make a tackle but he just kinda stopped and Hardman ran right by him.  Milano is one of the best open field tacklers in the game.  That play just looked weird though.

milano1.jpg

milano2.jpg

milano3.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bates needs to be moved to LG. He was solid there last year. Let Saffold suck at RG or just bench him who cares. 

I think there's a chance Q keeps the starting T Jon even when Brown comes back. 

Our first four picks in the draft next year needs to look something like OL OL WR OL. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Lost said:

Re: Milano score.   There was one play on the first KC drive where Mahomes threw a pass to Hardman and Milano looked to be in position to make a tackle but he just kinda stopped and Hardman ran right by him.  Milano is one of the best open field tacklers in the game.  That play just looked weird though.

milano1.jpg

milano2.jpg

milano3.jpg

True. But if that's what they dinged him on, then you'd think the 2 (3?) really great open field tackles he made later on would have balanced that out.

1 minute ago, Lost said:

milano1.jpg

milano2.jpg

milano3.jpg

That's a good find - I had forgotten about that play. Milano might've misjudged where the sideline was? Pretty bad mistake by him 

Turned what should've been a ~3yard gain into 13 yards. 

26 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

What worries me about that is Quinnen Williams in a contract year. He's always been a crazy/lazy talent; now he's motivated. Dareus 2.0.

The guards have already gone up against Donald, Simmons, Campbell, Heywood and Jones and survived.  Is Williams better than Donald?  They'll be all right.

I think PFF grades for OL are fair. Keep in mind, Chiefs DL is nothing to sneeze at: Jones, Clark and Dunlap are all top tier. I don't think we will be facing many more formidable DL in the regular season since we've already faces Rams and Chiefs. Allen will mask the deficiencies of any OL in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, hemma said:

Josh wasn’t legally sacked in spite of a ton of blitzes and Motor had a solid game, so i have a tough time with 3 OL being below 55.

Josh Allen does a lot in terms of pre-snap, in-pocket movement and of course his mobility to make the OL look much better than it is, at times. 

That being said, they are a decent pass blocking unit.. above average, according to the metrics, I believe.  

Mahomes was under way more pressure than Allen was play to play.  I know our DL is elite, but the Chiefs have spent a ton in $$$ and Draft Investment there. 

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I see gaps on the offensive side.  Ya gotta wonder why Knox isn't higher.  He did some Grade A work.  Davis should also be up there.

I agree with your puzzlement on Cookie.  Milano had a GREAT game where he did his job perfectly.  Made key tackles, was in the right place at the right time to help force Johnson's INT

I'm forced to conclude that the PFF graders pretty much don't understand team defense.

PFF graders don't understand football. Those positions are out-sourced.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.