Roughing the Passer

Brand J

This just in from the Tuesday Owner’s Meeting: League will not back out of “protecting the QB.” 

“Everyone knows if your quarterback is not healthy, you don’t have a chance to win,” said Vincent, a former defensive back. “We’re not changing the philosophy around that call.”

-Troy Vincent

NFL Executive VP Football Operations

I like what Shannon had to say about this. It won’t change until Jerry Jones and the Cowboys get screwed by a (non) RTP call in the playoffs. 

Article in The Athletic

*Also, no one is asking them to back off protecting the QBs, the fans just want RTP to actually be RTP and not routine tackles. It’s a huge penalty that affects the outcome of games.

Edited by JayBaller10

19 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

As long as Brady keeps benefiting from the calls, we can all sleep well at night 🙃

This is a false narrative that continues to be spread as if it is fact.  Look it up.  Brady has been the beneficiary of a ridiculously low number of roughing the passer calls over the past few seasons.

9 minutes ago, eball said:

This is a false narrative that continues to be spread as if it is fact.  Look it up.  Brady has been the beneficiary of a ridiculously low number of roughing the passer calls over the past few seasons.

Excuse me sir, I don't let facts get in the way of hating on Brady! 😤

Now get out of here & don't come back (unless the facts support my Brady hate)! 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Josh gets hit late a lot and does not get the calls for Roughing the Passer.  He is a top 3 QB in the NFL (I think the best), why is he getting knocked to the ground late often when he is inside the pocket?  And, the tripping call missed on Jones was silliness.

It is infuriating not as much for the non calls, but, the wear and tear and potential injuries.

Why do the Ref's not protect JA17?

20 minutes ago, eball said:

Brady seldom gets hit but when he does there is a high percentage that are called RTP.  

8 minutes ago, Manther said:

Josh gets hit late a lot and does not get the calls for Roughing the Passer.  He is a top 3 QB in the NFL (I think the best), why is he getting knocked to the ground late often when he is inside the pocket?  And, the tripping call missed on Jones was silliness.

It is infuriating not as much for the non calls, but, the wear and tear and potential injuries.

Why do the Ref's not protect JA17?

When did JA17 last donate to Zebra Retirement Fund?

Personally I think he should run thru zebras a few times.

Vincent is an idiot. Always has been. You can’t teach common sense and you can’t fix stupid.

Fact of the matter is they need to decide what the threshold is for roughing and call it consistently. Personally, I would love to see them do anything consistently, just me. Right now almost anything would be better than suffering through these subjective interpretations and arbitrary applications.

That RTP call last night when “Let’s Ride” was tackled around the waist was egregious. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.