It's the bye, so consider catching UB football Saturday

PromoTheRobot

Admit it, you're gonna be jonesing to tailgate and root for a local football team this weekend. The solution is in Amherst NY Saturday at 1pm.

UB hosts Toledo in a battle between first place teams in the east and west conferences of the MAC. Buffalo has won 4 in a row and have the inside track to the MAC championship. 

Toledo is also undefeated in conference play and is likely heading to the MACC as well.

Tickets are $32 inc fees. Parking is free. There's plenty of room to tailgate, or if you prefer, they have a party plaza set up with live music and food trucks. The forecast Saturday is sunny and mid-60s.

And is all that wasn't enough, UB is wearing their 1990 throwbacks this game. #UBHornsUp

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Admit it, you're gonna be jonesing to tailgate and root for a local football team this weekend. The solution is in Amherst NY Saturday at 1pm.

UB hosts Toledo in a battle between first place teams in the east and west conferences of the MAC. Buffalo has won 4 in a row and have the inside track to the MAC championship. 

Toledo is also undefeated in conference play and is likely heading to the MACC as well.

Tickets are $32 inc fees. Parking is free. There's plenty of room to tailgate, or if you prefer, they have a party plaza set up with live music and food trucks. The forecast Saturday is sunny and mid-60s.

And is all that wasn't enough, UB is wearing their 1990 throwbacks this game. #UBHornsUp

you coming all the way from New Hampshire for this??!!

15 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

UB has been playing better but they really took a hit when Leipold left. He was a fantastic coach. Sucks that UB is only the place where they find good coaches who only come on their rise to bigger and better.

You just described every non power conference school’s coaching situation in both football and basketball. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

You just described every non power conference school’s coaching situation in both football and basketball. 

Yup, and UB has seen that take place twice in the last few years for both football and basketball.  

Turner Gilll and Leipold in football and then Bobby Hurley and Nate Oats in basketball.

Edited by Big Turk

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yup, and UB has seen that take place twice in the last few years for both football and basketball.  

It’s always been that way. Ara Parseghain, Bo Schembechler, Woody Hayes, and Sid Gilman all coached at Miami (OH) before going on to become legends at ND, Michigan, OSU and the AFL/NFL.

35 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

UB has been playing better but they really took a hit when Leipold left. He was a fantastic coach. Sucks that UB is only the place where they find good coaches who only come on their rise to bigger and better.

That's the college food chain for you. But when you are a mid major, and you can develop a reputation of being a pathway to bigger things, you'll get better talent on their way up. They have another good one in Mo Linguist.

22 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

you coming all the way from New Hampshire for this??!!

Sadly no. I wish the Bills and UB had more shared weekends.

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

It’s always been that way. Ara Parseghain, Bo Schembechler, Woody Hayes, and Sid Gilman all coached at Miami (OH) before going on to become legends at ND, Michigan, OSU and the AFL/NFL.

They call the MAC "the cradle of coaches."

Edited by PromoTheRobot

30 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I went to see them play Miami of Ohio a few weeks ago.  I was surprised at the $32 ticket price given my past experience and taking my entire family would have been a  no go.  The stadium was only half filled in the lower level on the visitor's side and the upper decks and end zone were much less filled.  On the other hand, the weather is supposed to be in the mid 60's and sunny which is near perfect.

2 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I went to see them play Miami of Ohio a few weeks ago.  I was surprised at the $32 ticket price given my past experience and taking my entire family would have been a  no go.  The stadium was only half filled in the lower level on the visitor's side and the upper decks and end zone were much less filled.  On the other hand, the weather is supposed to be in the mid 60's and sunny which is near perfect.

Every August they have a $10 ($13 with fees) fire sale on tickets for all games. Obviously you need to decide far in advance which game you're going to but you save a lot. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Every August they have a $10 ($13 with fees) fire sale on tickets for all games. Obviously you need to decide far in advance which game you're going to but you save a lot. 

They should really be aggressive with that during the Bills bye week.  Good weather, discounted prices and big MAC contest, they could boost attendance to rarely seen levels.

• Like (+1) 1

Speaking of the Cradle of Coaches, Miami University Libraries has some online collections related to that;

1. Miami Football Game Films: (https://digital.lib.miamioh.edu/digital/collection/mufootball/search) 844 games. Turn off your volume before watching these. Trust me.
  2. Cradle of Coaches Collection: (https://digital.lib.miamioh.edu/digital/collection/cradle/search) The coolest thing in this are the pages from Sid Gilman's playbook.
Edited by FrenchConnection

2 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

They should really be aggressive with that during the Bills bye week.  Good weather, discounted prices and big MAC contest, they could boost attendance to rarely seen levels.

You know what be a great move? Team up with the Bills and offer season ticket holders  $10 tickets for a UB home game during the bye week. Have a special Bills fan tailgate. The best move would also be to play that game at Highmark.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

UB Is far from the only school where that happens

That’s a mid major thing

2 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

As long as they provide transportation from UB campus I think it makes sense.  There were a large number of students who did not have cars when I went to school there and I am sure there are now.

UB Class of '87.  I don't think I've watched a game since.  They were D3 when I was there, and I went to a lot of the games.  I'm not really sure why I have no interest.  I watch Bona basketball and I didn't even go there.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.