Did we just teach the NFL how to defend against KC?

PrimeTime101

So bear with me on this one because there is history on us doing this.

2020 the second last week we played the Ravens, a team no one could really stop on the ground. that year in the playoffs the Titans even though they lost said they learned from Buffalo how to defend Baltimore. Baltimore really has not been the same since.

Now i get it. Mahomes will always be Mahomes. will be a top tier QB for a long time... 

BUT

Did we just teach defenses... good defenses around the league how to defend KC?

Does anyone remember the last time KC scored 20 or less points in a game?

to be continued.

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3

We taught the NFL how to defend against Lamar, so we might be kinda good at figuring things out like that.

Yes I remember the last time they scored less than 20.  It was in week 3 when they lost to Indy 20-17.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 5

A lot of keeping KCs scoring contained is keeping the chains moving on offense ourselves. Half the league can't seem to achieve the elusive first down (let alone a touchdown) so I'm not sure how much success they will have.

We also have a lot of talent and athleticism up front that is hard to replicate for lesser teams

• Like (+1) 6

Didn't we kind of copy the Bengals 2nd Half defensive game plan of rushing 3 and dropping 8?  

I know they decided to do that out of necessity, as their pass rush couldn't get home, but it worked.   Not sure if they had a spy like what we did with Milano though.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

2020 the second last week we played the Ravens, a team no one could really stop on the ground. that year in the playoffs the Titans even though they lost said they learned from Buffalo how to defend Baltimore. Baltimore really has not been the same since.

Now i get it. Mahomes will always be Mahomes. will be a top tier QB for a long time... 

BUT

to be continued.

Thoughts?

Possibly, but it's easier said than done.  If a team can't get pressure with the front four or three and a spy, it's not going to work very well.

1 minute ago, Fetou said:

A lot of keeping KCs scoring contained is keeping the chains moving on offense ourselves. Half the league can't seem to achieve the elusive first down (let alone a touchdown) so I'm not sure how much success they will have.

We also have a lot of talent and athleticism up front that is hard to replicate for lesser teams

BINGO. This was my first thought. Personnel indeed matters. There is no replicating at the drop of a hat a Von Miller type talent.  The level our defensive stars are playing at? Other teams WISH they could replicate us.

7 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

BUT

to be continued.

Thoughts?

I think the bengals put a good blueprint out there last year too 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Didn't we kind of copy the Bengals 2nd Half defensive game plan of rushing 3 and dropping 8?  

I know they decided to do that out of necessity, as their pass rush couldn't get home, but it worked.   Not sure if they had a spy like what we did with Milano though.  

Bingo. Well find out cause there's no way we're not going to see other teams try it

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Yup-  sign Von Miller

Von is a beast.  2 sacks against Mahomes and the Chefs actually have a good o line.  His getting pressure also ran Mahomes into situations where the rest of D line could get to him.  He doesn't have to rush to change the game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, benderbender said:

Yes, but we also can't defend against a FG in less than 13 seconds so...

Yes, but we can intercept Mahomes in the end zone.  

Yes, but we can intercept Mahomes on the games deciding drive.  

Yes, but we can hold Mahomes to 20 points- at home.  

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yup-  sign Von Miller

Yeah I was going to go with Nope...  

I think what the Bills showed is the type of players you need, not necessarily the scheme.  Like any QB in the league you have to get them moving to disrupt their timing.  And with guys like Mahomes and Allen, you have to just pray once you get them moving you can contain the crazy that ensues.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mark92 said:

Von is a beast.  2 sacks against Mahomes and the Chefs actually have a good o line.  His getting pressure also ran Mahomes into situations where the rest of D line could get to him.  He doesn't have to rush to change the game.

Yup-  he that dam good.  He’s making a bigger impact than I had expected and I had very high expectations 

11 minutes ago, Fetou said:

Watching the game Sunday I was telling my kids back in the day, I would get as excited about FIRST DOWNS from a Bill's Offense as I do for Touchdowns now. It was so rare back in the day and now it is like a given that every drive will have first downs. Do you all remember our 3 and out offenses of the past? We have come so far!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.