Kaiir Elam - DROY

RenoNVBillsfan

23 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

wow, nice name calling.  I'm hardly a one-dimensional fan.  In fact, I often get critiqued for being too hard on our guys.  

Now, as to the substance of your argument re: Sauce: Lazard has been awful this year, ditto with Claypool, and Johnson due to the Steelers QB debacle.  Waddle is great, but not a great QB tossing him the ball (same issue as Johnson).  

Yeah, I'll be more impressed when he faces a QB like Mahomes with the surrounding talent.  When we toast him, he won't be DROY for long.  

Wollen in Seattle is a beast and could make a case at this point for DROY and get votes for DPOY.  

I mean he did face Rodgers. And KC’s receivers really are nothing special. Elam is going to be a great number 2 cb, maybe even become a number 1 type. Basically Sauce came into the nfl as a shutdown number 1 cb. That matchup between him and Diggs is going to be awesome. 

23 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'd even say that Elam has struggled at times. He is a young player and has tons of potential, so I'm not worried even slightly.

Especially when he becomes the number 2 cb when tre comes back. He will be dominant there.

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

wow, nice name calling.  I'm hardly a one-dimensional fan.  In fact, I often get critiqued for being too hard on our guys.  

Now, as to the substance of your argument re: Sauce: Lazard has been awful this year, ditto with Claypool, and Johnson due to the Steelers QB debacle.  Waddle is great, but not a great QB tossing him the ball (same issue as Johnson).  

Yeah, I'll be more impressed when he faces a QB like Mahomes with the surrounding talent.  When we toast him, he won't be DROY for long.  

Wollen in Seattle is a beast and could make a case at this point for DROY and get votes for DPOY.  

You can only play the teams on the schedule and the embattled Jets have inexplicably won 4 times. The defense is responsible for this because their offense is a work in progress and their QB has the training wheels on. If you watch Sauce, you’ll see a confident corner who smothers his cover assignment. Again, this doesn’t take away from our guy Elam. Maybe one dimensional was too harsh for some of our sensitive brethren.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

You can only play the teams on the schedule and the embattled Jets have inexplicably won 4 times. The defense is responsible for this because their offense is a work in progress and their QB has the training wheels on. If you watch Sauce, you’ll see a confident corner who smothers his cover assignment. Again, this doesn’t take away from our guy Elam. Maybe one dimensional was too harsh for some of our sensitive brethren.

You’re actually making Elam’s case for him yes you can only play the teams that are on your schedule and so far we have faced some of the top QBs in the league with rookie corners

The last time I checked our defense was tops in the league in several categories you don’t get that without strong corner play

Kansas City is better than anything the Jets have played Elam what is directly responsible for that win with one of his takeaways that would’ve been a touchdown

This has nothing to do with taking any away from sauce who is an elite talent already this has to do with under playing how well Elam has played Saying that sauce is 1000 times better or 10 times better or whatever it’s just bull####

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

If Gardner is the elite cover corner many here are claiming him to be, and I have no reason to doubt it because I haven’t watched a single Jets game then they will have him shadow Diggs all over the field.

If that happens and he holds his own then I’ll be on board with this early season hype, but If Diggs roasts him then I’ll say keep working on your craft rookie, you’re not in Cincinnati anymore.

On 10/17/2022 at 11:42 PM, Rc2catch said:

Have you watched sauce play? 
I hate to hype the Jets but that kid has been phenomenal. 
And just for Iron Maiden breece looks like a possible leader for oroy so far. 
Lot of season left and it’s not like Elam has no shot at it. 

no, we're not watching the Jet's games, but Sauce can't be all that much better than Elam, Elam has one more interception than Sauce and has made more tackles than Sauce.  I don't know about pass breakups, but Elam has been pretty good at that as well.

4 minutes ago, tomur67 said:

no, we're not watching the Jet's games, but Sauce can't be all that much better than Elam, Elam has one more interception than Sauce and has made more tackles than Sauce.  I don't know about pass breakups, but Elam has been pretty good at that as well.

You might wanna check him out then. Not only is he without a doubt the current Droy but he’s battling as a top 5 corner in the entire league by almost every metric. I’m in no way trying to hype the jets but here’s an article with some of the info. 
https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/10/17/ny-jets-sauce-gardner-top-5-nfl-cb/amp/

Edited by Rc2catch

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

You’re actually making Elam’s case for him yes you can only play the teams that are on your schedule and so far we have faced some of the top QBs in the league with rookie corners

The last time I checked our defense was tops in the league in several categories you don’t get that without strong corner play

Kansas City is better than anything the Jets have played Elam what is directly responsible for that win with one of his takeaways that would’ve been a touchdown

This has nothing to do with taking any away from sauce who is an elite talent already this has to do with under playing how well Elam has played Saying that sauce is 1000 times better or 10 times better or whatever it’s just bull####

Why are all the Elam supporters so defensive about him not being considered the best rookie corner. While Benford was determined to be the starter until his untimely injury, Elam  has made  steady progress and he’s a big time tackler. Sauce has been on an island for a perennial underachieving outfit and has been a shutdown corner against the opposition’s best receiver. It’s still very early to definitively call Sauce the best but he’s been impressive.

1 hour ago, Eastport bills said:

Why are all the Elam supporters so defensive about him not being considered the best rookie corner. While Benford was determined to be the starter until his untimely injury, Elam  has made  steady progress and he’s a big time tackler. Sauce has been on an island for a perennial underachieving outfit and has been a shutdown corner against the opposition’s best receiver. It’s still very early to definitively call Sauce the best but he’s been impressive.

I don’t know it’s like you’re taking in the information that’s being given to you it’s getting shook up in that head of yours and then you’re regurgitating the same information back out listen to what you are being told

There is no defensive for Elam he doesn’t need us to defend him he has played well has he played on the level of sauce probably not but it’s still early

11 hours ago, Bandito said:

That is so true. It is normal for fans to be biased towards their own team/ players, but so many on here are completely irrational thinking every Bills player is the best. There are other guys out there! Sauce is better than Elam at this point and it isn't close.

So you don't think the similar major media bias uplifts players on the Jets and Cowboys?

I don't think anyone cares if Elam is DROY ...it's the unsupported notion Sauce is so much better than him or is the clear DROY.

The kid in Seattle has like 5 INTs.

36 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I don’t know it’s like you’re taking in the information that’s being given to you it’s getting shook up in that head of yours and then you’re regurgitating the same information back out listen to what you are being told

There is no defensive for Elam he doesn’t need us to defend him he has played well has he played on the level of sauce probably not but it’s still early

I’m taking in the information? There’s no information, it’s purely opinions of Bills fans who haven’t watched Sauce’s games. Just remember, Benford was ahead of Elam on the depth chart until his injury. That’s a 6th rd choice, Elam’s a good prospect but to this point in the season, Sauce is more of a shut down corner, Watch him against Denver this week and you’ll understand, 

I’m taking in the information? There’s no information, it’s purely opinions of Bills fans who haven’t watched Sauce’s games. Just remember, Benford was ahead of Elam on the depth chart until his injury. That’s a 6th rd choice, Elam’s a good prospect but to this point in the season, Sauce is more of a shut down corner, Watch him against Denver this week and you’ll understand, 

Why are you assuming the bills fans have not watched sauce Gardner’s games he is on an AFC East rival team and a lot of us have NFL Sunday ticket

And I’m supposed to be impressed by a game against Denver the Broncos are playing horribly this year let sauce play a game against a quarterback the level of the Kansas City Chiefs

Edited by John from Riverside

2 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Elam never fell below Benford as a prospect.  Benford was simply more familiar with the system, which was a good thing.  

Shirley you might not want to use Denver as proof that Gardner is shut down.  Most people’s Grandmas would shut down Denver.  That’s not a knock on Gardner.

Here is a fantastic breakdown of rookie CB's, including Elam. Kinda long at 47 minutes, I have the video starting at Elam around 12:30 in.  The guy doing the video is a Ravens fan and is impressed with Elam and says he looks like he is very comfortable in the Bills scheme and has been playing a similar scheme for a while in college...which is incredible since Elam basically had to be taught zone coverage from scratch.  He has picked it up really quickly and has fooled a guy who knows football and defensive play into thinking he has been doing it for years...

TLDR: He says Tariq Wooten(Seahawks) has been playing the best so far of all the rookie CB's with honorable mention to Stingley in Houston and Gardner with the Jets, but says that Elam has been doing exactly what the Bills want him to do...

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

On 10/19/2022 at 7:12 AM, Bandito said:

That is so true. It is normal for fans to be biased towards their own team/ players, but so many on here are completely irrational thinking every Bills player is the best. There are other guys out there! Sauce is better than Elam at this point and it isn't close.

Facts. I'm really pulling for Elam, and I genuinely think he will be good. I just don't think he's anywhere close to the level of DROY at this point though. 

Sauce Gardner

Devin Lloyd

Jack Jones

Travon Walker

Tariq Woolen

All players at a better spot right now regarding that specific conversation. But perhaps with more play time, he'll grow more comfortable & start climbing the ranks. Even if he doesn't, not everyone has to be as good as Tre White off the bat. I personally think Elam's struggled quite a bit, but I also love the fight he brings each play. It's the thing I appreciate about him the most.

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Elam never fell below Benford as a prospect.  Benford was simply more familiar with the system, which was a good thing.  

Shirley you might not want to use Denver as proof that Gardner is shut down.  Most people’s Grandmas would shut down Denver.  That’s not a knock on Gardner.

I only suggested Denver because the Bills won’t be playing and most eastern Bills fans, haven’t seen Sauce with concurrent AFCE games. I’m sorry I brought up Sauce because some stubborn fans can’t accept even a comparison of Elam and another rookie corner. It’s a little disappointing that a percentage of our fan base can’t just identify a talented player and applaud his performance.

23 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

I only suggested Denver because the Bills won’t be playing and most eastern Bills fans, haven’t seen Sauce with concurrent AFCE games. I’m sorry I brought up Sauce because some stubborn fans can’t accept even a comparison of Elam and another rookie corner. It’s a little disappointing that a percentage of our fan base can’t just identify a talented player and applaud his performance.

Wooten is supposedly the best rookie CB so far and he was a 5th round pick...

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Haven’t seen him, looking forward to watching the Seahawks vs Chargers. Thanks

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.