(** Update for 8 games in OP) Mr. Ridiculous: Josh Allen since the start of the 2020 Season

dollars 2 donuts

On 10/17/2022 at 9:42 AM, dollars 2 donuts said:

I won't BS you to start (maybe later) by waxing poetic.  Let's get to the gritty.

Since kickoff 2020 (because generally as a species we are just kind of geeked up to judge things by decades), in 39 regular season games Josh Allen has gone 29-10, with 10,931 yards passing for 90 TDs, 1,441 yards rushing for 16 TDs and 1 reception for 1 TD.           

12,372 total yards.  Total TDs 107*.

During those games he averaged 280 or so yards passing, close to 37 rushing for a total of about a 317 yard average...for every.  single. one of those 39 games.  

The measuring stick, the bell weather for Josh and every other QB, Patrick Mahomes over the same time span has gone 30-8 (sat 1 game at the end  of 2020) has 11,315 yards passing for 92 TDs, with 802 rushing yards for 2 TDs. 

12,117 total yards.  Total TDs 94.

During those games his average is about 298 yards passing, 21 yards rushing for total average of 319 yards per game.

I will take nothing away from Pat.  Hell, go ahead and give him the 319 yard average for a 39th game and he leaps in front of Josh by just 64 yards.

...but he doesn't come close to catching up on that 13 TD deficit.  

The duo's playoff games vary by numbers.  However, do you want to love our guy even more than you already do (if that is even possible)?  In 5 games he has 1,454 passing yards (approx. 291 per game) with 14 TDs, 279 rushing yards (close to 56 yards per game) and 1 TD, for a playoff total average of 347 yards a game and 3 TDs in going 3-2.

His total TDs over that time swells to 122* in 44 games. 

I did say ridiculous at the start, right?

(* Thank you @947 for correcting me on my typos!)

EDIT:  

In the last 8 games, going back to the playoffs, Josh is 6-2, with 2,627 yards passing, with 26 TDs and 391 yards rushing with 2 more TDs.  His average is 328.375 passing, 48.875 rushing for a total of 377.25 average per game and 28 total TDs.

There are no...legitimate...counter arguments...to how good this guy is and where he ranks...anywhere...by anyone.  

You talking heads out there in sports (you know who you are) are officially fools to make such counterpoints.

Very well written OP, you tell a story well.

As far as the comparison though, since you pointed out that we tend to judge things by decades, I have to point out that we also judge QB success by Super Bowl wins. I am not saying this to knock Josh at all, I know that there are plenty of seasons left in this decade for him to get his, just pointing out that the win in 2020 puts Mahomes ahead for the time being.  

On 10/17/2022 at 10:47 AM, dollars 2 donuts said:

I can't, gentlemen...I can't picture myself in my early 60s a decade from now and watching or having great interest in Bills QB, #16, Jimmy Doyle from Wisconsin finishing the day 20-30 (because, modern NFL completion percentage numbers) for 145 yards, 1 td, 1 pick, and 12 yards rushing on 5 attempts as the Bills lose a close one and drop to 4-4, but we are still in it.

🙄

I love this team, but it will take too much out of me after this guy we have now.

I didn’t want to voice this same opinion but absolutely agree. I’ve been thinking this for a while now. 
   I used the word surreal in another thread.

I was utterly calm Sunday watching the Chiefs game. When we missed the 4 th in our side of the field, I didn’t stress. When they went up , I was cool. When we left them a minute plus I posted “ We got this”

It’s MAGIC time. We are the only team that can beat us this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/20/2022 at 11:19 AM, CincyBillsFan said:

I don't know but a lot of folks view Marino & Kelly as two of the "greats".

Marino, yes but Kelly, maybe? Most places you look have Kelly ranked ~21/22 best QB in NFL history. If that still counts as one of the greats, sure but i feel like that’s a pretty big group. 

6 hours ago, Watkins101 said:

Marino, yes but Kelly, maybe? Most places you look have Kelly ranked ~21/22 best QB in NFL history. If that still counts as one of the greats, sure but i feel like that’s a pretty big group. 

Kelly is in the HOF whch makes him one of the all time greats.

On 10/17/2022 at 7:25 PM, BuffaloBill said:

No doubt we have someone very special in JA.  However, and somewhat cruelly the league will now judge him on whether he wins consistently in the playoffs and collects any Lombardi trophies.  All of the pieces, including JA himself, are in place. Time will tell if the Bills put a Super Bowl win and hopefully wins in the books.

Damn......that 13 seconds....  Go Bills !

On 10/18/2022 at 7:52 PM, Gene1973 said:

QB legacies are judged based on ring count. He has to get at least one, or he will never be seen as one of the greats.

Completely agree....  Eli Manning - 2,  Ben Rothlisberger - 2,  Philip Rivers - 0.    Rivers will always be compared unfavorably.

Speaking of 2020….remember that stretch where it was a thing whether or not Josh could play in front of huge crowds…..because his 2020 season was the empty stadiums Covid year and somehow it bec……

Good times good times. 

Right up there with 2019’s “but where are the 300 yard games??”

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Speaking of 2020….remember that stretch where it was a thing whether or not Josh could play in front of huge crowds…..because his 2020 season was the empty stadiums Covid year and somehow it bec……

Good times good times. 

Right up there with 2019’s “but where are the 300 yard games??”

And in 2018 it was “He’s not accurate”.

Just a week or two ago it was “He can’t win close come from behind games”.

He’s been busting these myths ever since he got into the NFL.   

14 hours ago, ganesh said:

Damn......that 13 seconds....  Go Bills !

Completely agree....  Eli Manning - 2,  Ben Rothlisberger - 2,  Philip Rivers - 0.    Rivers will always be compared unfavorably.

Rivers is not as good as the other two, Eli had some of the greatest games of all time as a QB as did Ben. Rivers never was that guy who won games for his team.

On 10/17/2022 at 7:03 AM, Wayne Cubed said:

Agreed.

You look around the league and realize just how much of a different category both Allen and Mahomes are in. The QB play in the NFL is very average. 

You watch "good" QBs like Carr... Cousins (?) and the drop in performance is a huge chasm. Russell Wilson looks like a high schooler, Lamar Jackson as MVP???? In what universe? Burrows looks like he's malnourished.

People were/are touting Justin Herbert as if he's on the same level as Allen and Mahomes... so who was that wearing his uniform last Monday night against the Denver Broncos???

Brady and Rodgers look they need Rascal Motor Scooters.

It's Allen and Mahomes and no one else is remotely close.

On 10/17/2022 at 7:44 AM, Fetou said:

Watched enough terrible QB play every week for the first decades of my life! I will never be spoiled

I'm like you. Some people go through life taking much for granted... not even questioning how/why they were born into the life they now enjoy. Being a Bills fan since 1968, I will also never be spoiled. To me it's a privilege and a joy to watch Josh Allen play for the Buffalo Bills. It exceeds my wildest imagination and I am eternally grateful.

On 10/18/2022 at 7:22 AM, Gene1973 said:

QB legacies are judged based on ring count. He has to get at least one, or he will never be seen as one of the greats.

Sincerely,  Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, and Nick Foles

On 10/18/2022 at 2:43 PM, eball said:

It's a shame time doesn't also judge Mahomes as a QB who has lost not one but two AFC Championship games on his home field.

History is still being written. It's too early to talk about legacies. Tom Brady lost 3 Super Bowls.

On 10/20/2022 at 12:40 AM, Richard Noggin said:

Recalling, during the 2017 season, the rookie GM Beane openly "hoping" for college prospect JA17 to have a "down" final year so his draft stock remained realistically acquire-able outside the impenetrable top-5 in a QB-rich draft class.

Problem is, I can't recall if Beane informally shared this prescient gem in-person at Tempo to a guest plus us non-media workers, or if this confessional intel was uttered above-board via interview. 

100% I remember him openly/"sarcastically" hoping that Allen kid/QB at Wyoming had a disappointing season so his draft value didn't elevate beyond their reach. Because I cannot find it online, and I have a clear memory of this humorous-but-honest quote being uttered between tables 2 and 5 as Beane was leaving, I'm forced to feel like i was privvy to his playful, but prescient admission: "Hope that Josh Allen kid at Wyoming has a bad senior season."

The video of McBeane watching Gabriel Davis run the 40 at the combine was great... they were hoping he'd have a poor time so he'd fall farther down draft boards.

23 hours ago, StHustle said:

so it was Beane who released JA17s infamous HS tweets 🤔

Interesting conspiracy theory.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/17/2022 at 6:57 AM, 78thealltimegreat said:

I kinda agree with Jeremy White this morning. Josh is so unbelievable at times that after he retires I’m done with the sport 

On 10/19/2022 at 10:01 AM, mrags said:

I’m 100% in agreement with this. I am not saying I want to stop watching when Josh is done, but it’s going to be tough to really believe in anything after we’re seeing such greatness. 

id imagine if we had any real conversation with a Pats fan they probably feel the same way now 

These are interesting thoughts... a post-Josh world for Bills fans and particularly in comparison to a post-Brady world for Cheatriots*** fans.

I can't speak for their side because I'm not one of them but I believe that Josh Allen has a very deep emotional connection with Bills fans that I'm skeptical that Brady has with New Englanders. Maybe I'm wrong.

Specifically I feel like Josh has a more visceral, Brett Favre-type chemistry whereas Brady would be more of an Aaron Rodgers attraction... it's hard to explain.

7 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

Who considers them great? They were not the reason their teams won the SB. Foles a bit maybe.

Don't forget Mark Rypien.

Brady losing 3 SB is kind of irrekevant considering he won 7. Get outta here with that tbh.

Gene, you say that a QB has to win a Super Bowl to be considered great. Then you say that winning a Super Bowl doesn't qualify a QB as being great.

Then others point out consensus great QBs who have never won a Super Bowl.

It seems to me that your criteria is binary in a world that is anything but binary.

So far you're saying that a QB is not great unless they win a Super Bowl but a QB who wins a Super Bowl is not necessarily great.

Get outta here with that tbh.

And then... 

4 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

It's not a ring only, and you know what I mean, you're just being pendantic, smartass, yadda.

I'm being pedantic? A smart ass?

You're talking out two sides of you mouth... again.

46 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

You know those QB's are not considered great, even with a ring...

Kelly and Marino never got rings, they are not on the same level as Young, Aikman, Montana, etc. They just aren't, and arguing that they are is foolishness.

Bottom line, we already have a QB on the "one of the best QB's to never win a SB" list. We don't need another one.

You know full well a QB is measured by not only his career numbers, but ring count. Stop acting like this is new information.

Gene,

You said that "QB legacies are judged based on ring count" and then you said "It's not a ring only."

You've successfully confused yourself.

On 10/17/2022 at 9:55 AM, BuffaloBill said:

No doubt we have someone very special in JA.  However, and somewhat cruelly the league will now judge him on whether he wins consistently in the playoffs and collects any Lombardi trophies.  All of the pieces, including JA himself, are in place. Time will tell if the Bills put a Super Bowl win and hopefully wins in the books.

Us Bills fans need a few Lombardi’s

too and then we can get that albatross off our backs…

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.