Kaiir Elam Appreciation Thread

Rigotz

Kansas City: Clutch pick in the end zone this week might have been the difference in the game.

Steelers: Great interception w/ perfect positioning.

Ravens: 43 coverage snaps, 1 target, zero receptions.

Dolphins: 25 coverage snaps, 2 receptions, 10 yards allowed.

Titans: 1 pass defensed, zero catches allowed (maybe 1 for medium gain if you pin deep coverage him).

Rams: 30 coverage snaps, 3 targets, 3 receptions allowed.

Are there a few moments against the Steelers he'd like to have back? Sure.

But as a ROOKIE, Elam is more than flashing.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

Great for Elam! Back to back games with an INT. Stay hungry young man! Hopefully that will quiet some posters who have been nothing but critical of the rookie. Tre, Dane, Elam and Benford and suddenly the Bills CB’s is developing into a position of strength!

Great problem to have!

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

but breece hall...

Hall looks great! However, Elam was the right pick. Too bad the Bills didn't move up to get him. I'm sure they tried and looked at all the options. However, Shakir and Benford look to be great drafts. Likely they may have not gotten either in a move up in the 2nd.

• Like (+1) 2

I think we all knew, and so did Kaiir, that playing zone was a weakness in his game. His responsibility also grew bigger than I think the Bills wanted to at this stage because of injuries to Dane and Benford

So far he looks like he's stepped up to the plate admirably, he's owned up to his mistakes and learned from them. If this is him 'finding his way' this secondary is gonna be something else when Tre gets back on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

He is just getting started and is learning to play zone completely from scratch for the first time in his life.  I'd say he is a pretty quick study and is going to continue to get better throughout the year...by playoff time he could be a force.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Kansas City: Clutch pick in the end zone this week might have been the difference in the game.

Steelers: Great interception w/ perfect positioning.

Ravens: 43 coverage snaps, 1 target, zero receptions.

Dolphins: 25 coverage snaps, 2 receptions, 10 yards allowed.

Titans: 1 pass defensed, zero catches allowed (maybe 1 for medium gain if you pin deep coverage him).

Rams: 30 coverage snaps, 3 targets, 3 receptions allowed.

Are there a few moments against the Steelers he'd like to have back? Sure.

But as a ROOKIE, Elam is more than flashing.

I’m happy to see he got his second, first career INT.

• Haha (+1) 1

That was a big test yesterday for the kids… I think we could do an appreciation post for mostly everyone. Andy Reid and Mahomes is about as tough a test as they’ll see in the regular season and we probably did miss Tre and Hyde but KC fans didn’t even notice because the defense played so well. Elam and Benford and Hamlin covered quite well. Big plays like the illegal pick weren’t really on them. They kept the ball in front of them. 
Let’s not forget Siran Neal who despite his many debatable penalties played some meaningful snaps. Cam Lewis I believe came in for a short spell as well. They had a plan and I would think it was pretty successful 

The biggest knock on him was his physicality (aside from not playing zone). I saw him come in like a piss missile for a stop yesterday, shed a block too.

Then that INT was purely mental of, I want this more than you. Even if he doesn't start opposite tre layer this year he's a huge asset when we want to give him some man to man stuff.

Excited to see him continue to grow 

• Like (+1) 1

He's progressing along the path that I hoped for. I think he would be a bigger story were it not for Dane Jackson playing at a high level as CB1 and Benford turning out to be a hidden gem, but the fact that the worst thing I can say about him is that he got picked on in one game where the opponent scored 3 total points means that we are getting what you hope for out of a 1st round rookie.

I suspect that he'll be CB2 at the start of 2023, but the fact that we are going to have him, Dane Jackson and Christian Benford on controlled rookie salaries and White and Johnson on very reasonable contracts should mean that we have CB locked up for a while.

Now to deal with Safety.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.