Wow…Poyer drives to game due to not medically being cleared to fly

Steel City Mafia

I expect it wasn't simply a cabin altitude thing.

Typical cabin altitude for a 767, which is what they charter, is around 6000' at cruise altitude in the mid 30's.

While the airplane climbs at around 2000'/min and descends at upwards of 3000'/min, the cabin pressurization schedule is about 500'/min during climb, and 300'/min during descent.

What would be a major problem for a weakened lung is a rapid depressurization event, which can ignored as a possibility.

That would instantly put the cabin at cruise actual altitude, and it takes a few minutes of very rapid descent to get to a habitable altitude of 10,000' or so.

Not something a bad lung would want to go through.

• Agree 1

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

We have a couple of those for work vans.  Definitely nice vans, you can easily stand up inside.  I've seen some limo companies use them also as small party buses.  We had one for my wedding.  Here's the link to it...

Sprinter — American Limousine

TBN reporter Katherine Fitzgerald tweeted that it was equipped to lie down (maybe a convertible bed?).

3 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I did the drive from Rochester to Branson, MO once.  Not exactly the same, but boring AF up to St.Louis, and looonnnggggg.  Props to JoPo for gutting out that nightmare.

I don't want to minimize Poyer's dedication, which is formidable.  But he had a professionally-driven van likely equipped with WiFi, TVs, snacks and drinks, space for toys and games, space to nap, and his wife and daughter with him.   As long as he was willing to "play with the Barbies" on request, it was likely All Good.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

TBN reporter Katherine Fitzgerald tweeted that it was equipped to lie down (maybe a convertible bed?).

I don't want to minimize Poyer's dedication, which is formidable.  But he had a professionally-driven van likely equipped with WiFi, TVs, snacks and drinks, space for toys and games, space to nap, and his wife and daughter with him.   As long as he was willing to "play with the Barbies" on request, it was likely All Good.

15 hours straight in any type of vehicle would suck imo.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

My wife's family, twice in the last 8 years I've known them, do a week vacation in the Outer Banks, NC.  Driving down, we will split the trip in two days, but the drive back, one day, between 10-12 hours with minimal stops. That's hard enough, I can't imagine adding on another 5 hours.  Back in my 20's though, I did do two long trips, both overnights.  One was Syracuse to North Carolina to see a friend run her last collegiate cross-country race.  The other was Syracuse to Indianapolis to finally meet a girl in person that I had been talking to for months. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It's still 16 hours in a tin can, God there's got to be a better way.....

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

You can at least stop and get out, walk around, etc.  I once spent 20 hours in a plane going to China.  That was bad.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

On the way there, they said he left after Fri practice, I dunno when that finishes up but, given that the rest of the team is flying out Sat afternoon I wonder if they stopped overnight somewhere?  If practice and post-practice treatments wrap up at (say) 3 pm, they could get in 7 hrs, knock off around 10 pm, hit the road around 7 am and still probably make it to KC about the same time as the rest of the team.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

My wife's family, twice in the last 8 years I've known them, do a week vacation in the Outer Banks, NC.  Driving down, we will split the trip in two days, but the drive back, one day, between 10-12 hours with minimal stops. That's hard enough, I can't imagine adding on another 5 hours.  Back in my 20's though, I did do two long trips, both overnights.  One was Syracuse to North Carolina to see a friend run her last collegiate cross-country race.  The other was Syracuse to Indianapolis to finally meet a girl in person that I had been talking to for months. 

Brutal.  I hope it was a good time in Indy!

my father hated flying but he LOVED Florida.  We’d drive from New Paltz Ny to Florida every spring break.  24 hour drive.  No stopping in a hotel, dad would drive the whole way.  

I made the cross country drive from New Paltz to Vegas, Vegas to New Paltz and again, new paltz to Vegas.  44 hours each time.  

nowadays, I won’t even drive from Vegas to LA.  2-3 hours is the longest drive I’ll sign up for. 

34 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It does.  But I'd love to have the opportunity to determine the degree to which a well-equipped van and a driver would reduce the suckage.

5 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

I seem to recall a quote from Jordan Matthews...🧐

Clean it up, dudes, their young daughter was with them.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

It does.  But I'd love to have the opportunity to determine the degree to which a well-equipped van and a driver would reduce the suckage.

Clean it up, guys, their young daughter was with them.

You WANT to have someone drive you 15 hours so you can go to work?  Yes, I’m sure it’s MUCH more comfortable than driving yourself, but still not an experienfe I would ever care to go through 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.