NFL Week 6 - Bills victorious!!!! Over Chiefs - post game thread

BuffaloBill

9 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

A couple of quick observations:

1) loved the new wrinkle with the QB sneak. I have noticed that a lot of teams do this, with a big FB standing behind the QB, pushing him on the QB sneak. It worked both times today with Davis doing the pushing.  

I have a built-in hatred for that as a Notre Dame fan who attended the Bush Push game against USC. Still one of the best sporting events I ever went to. Glad I can root for that QB sneak help now!

4 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I have a built-in hatred for that as a Notre Dame fan who attended the Bush Push game against USC. Still one of the best sporting events I ever went to. Glad I can root for that QB sneak help now!

I like the play. However, does anyone feel like the NFL should look at changing the rule? I believe they have made that play illegal only inside the 10 yard line. 

Remember last week when everyone kept wondering what was wrong with the Steelers for getting beaten so badly by the Bills?  They went and beat Tampa yesterday.  As I recall, the same questions swirled around how bad Tennessee looked when Buffalo stomped them and they've won three straight since then.  Maybe those teams weren't bad, maybe the Bills are just that freaking good.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

After a mostly sleepless night...

1.  When it happened, I did not appreciate the level of difficulty of the Knox TD pass.  But hearing it talked about and watching it.  DamnTheManIsGood

2. The biggest difference in games was the level of uncomfortableness Mahomes felt in the pocket.

3. The play of the game was made by Miller, Milano and Johnson.  To watch the Miller swim and spin move and push Mahomes to his right, right into the lane of an on rushing Milano and then Mahomes slinging it off balance to Johnson who jumped the route was magical.  Props to Frazer and McDermott and the guys for scheming it and pulling it off.

4. Bills have two QBs.  One plays offense and one plays defense.  Their skillsets are wildly different but they are true craftsman.

5. Buffalo taking Mahomes off the field in that 3-and-out finished by Miller's sack had to be so amazingly satisfying to the Bills front office.  All their off season scheming and hiring manifested itself on that drive and turned the tide of the game.

6.  I went on record multiple times on MNF rueing the fact that Buffalo could not replicate what Vegas did -- running between the tackles.  Man was I wrong.

7. Were Diggs 148 yards the quietest 148 yards ever?  A look at his stats at the end of the game, 13 targets, 10 receptions and 1 TD.  Crazy.  

8. Allen was an absolute beast of a player last night.  Everytime you think you've seen it all, he goes out and does something jaw dropping.. And then in the interviews he comes across as ho-hum, so self deprecating and likeable.  On the field, he will tear your head off, off the field he is so down to earth.

9. Teams have got to be scared shiteless when watching Gabe Davis run wild.

10. And now one week of stress free football.  Packers get a bye week as they get to play Commanders.  Happy they won't be on a losing streak coming into Buffalo.

11. JETS win, PATS win, FINS Lose.  Would have been a bitter pill to swallow if we woke up with the JETS in first place in the AFCE.  

GO BILLS

Edited by wjag
  • Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, wjag said:

After a mostly sleepless night...

1.  When it happened, I did not appreciate the level of difficulty of the Knox TD pass.  But hearing it talked about and watching it.  DamnTheManIsGood

When I saw the replay of the pass last night it made me think of one Brady did against the Bills last year. I think it may have been a TD throw to Mike Evans. Both the safety and CB were in decent positions on both occasions but each time the throw was all time superb over the fingertips of the safety. Unstoppable really.

Allen is now at that level where he makes throws like that and we don't even immediately notice how insanely good it was. To us it's just Josh.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, beebe said:

The Tyreek trade made the Chiefs less explosive, but they had to make a move to help them build a better defense. KC is the inferior team to Buffalo this year - and arguably was last year, and arguably was the year before! - entirely due to their weak defense. Mahomes' brilliance has helped the Chiefs overcome some pretty big warts during this five-year run. But it's time for the Chiefs to get serious about building a defense. 

KC's DVOA defense ranks in Mahomes era:

27th, 14th, 22nd, 24th, 15th (this year).

Buffalo's DVOA defense:

2nd, 7th, 12th, 1st, 2nd (this year)

The Chiefs are an unfinished product on defense, but they're going to make some strides by the time the playoffs roll around. Through six games, they've had ONE interception — and it came on a play when a Chargers receiver basically decided to take a breather at the snap. 

That said, these teams are just in different places. It's Buffalo's time to break through. It's all there for the taking. Outside of the Eagles - who I still suspect is a fraud - I don't see many serious threats in the NFC. And for all the talk about the AFC being a super conference, the only teams that seem like a viable threat to the Bills is KC or the Chargers (if they get healthy.) 

I know DVOA is well-regarded by many

But it's worth pointing out that in PA, the Chiefs Defense was 8th, 10th and 7th the last 3 years

Bills defense 1st, 16th, and 2nd the last 3 years.

It always interests me how teams that are regarded as positioned for success (Chargers, Bengals, Rams, Tampa) sometimes squib when the games are played.

Edited by Beck Water

55 minutes ago, TPS said:

Haven't watched the PC's yet - I was wondering about Josh's hand signal on the last TD - he waved to the inside but threw to the outside.  I was wondering if it was some kind of misdirection, but Knox simply didn't see it.  Knowing that and then rewatching the play - the split second where Josh waves - realizes Knox didn't see it - then just says F it and throws the dime laser to the perfect place - high and hard just barely over the defender in front  (kudos to Knox for coming to the ball aggressively).  Incredible

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 3

i really havnt been on here since before the game and i'm not swimming through all 40 pages. So maybe its been mentioned already. But a huge takeaway for me is the Bills being able to stifle run games with light boxes. Thats such a HUGE freaking advantage. All year long we've heard about this dominating interior OL in KC. if you take out Mahomes 4 scrambles on pass plays the chiefs ran 14 times for 57 yards!!! 3.3 a clip.... This team is going to be REALLY hard to beat if they can keep that up.

After a whole season of being labled soft in 2021, the #1 run defense in the nfl now resides in orchard park.... This also should pay large dividends come january when teams have no choice but to run the ball. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, dakrider said:

One of the dumbest trades I've seen in awhile.

Forced by the cap, and by the diva wanting to be paaaaaid. They didn't really do badly on the trade. The Bills will be forced to make some hard decisions starting next year.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, beebe said:

The Tyreek trade made the Chiefs less explosive, but they had to make a move to help them build a better defense. KC is the inferior team to Buffalo this year - and arguably was last year, and arguably was the year before! - entirely due to their weak defense. Mahomes' brilliance has helped the Chiefs overcome some pretty big warts during this five-year run. But it's time for the Chiefs to get serious about building a defense. 

KC's DVOA defense ranks in Mahomes era:

27th, 14th, 22nd, 24th, 15th (this year).

Buffalo's DVOA defense:

2nd, 7th, 12th, 1st, 2nd (this year)

The Chiefs are an unfinished product on defense, but they're going to make some strides by the time the playoffs roll around. Through six games, they've had ONE interception — and it came on a play when a Chargers receiver basically decided to take a breather at the snap. 

That said, these teams are just in different places. It's Buffalo's time to break through. It's all there for the taking. Outside of the Eagles - who I still suspect is a fraud - I don't see many serious threats in the NFC. And for all the talk about the AFC being a super conference, the only teams that seem like a viable threat to the Bills is KC or the Chargers (if they get healthy.) 

Their defense up until this season has been top 10 in points allowed though pretty consistently…idk why people treat yards like it is the end all be all.  As far as helping out your qb goes,  points allowed is the definitive stat 

I don’t think I really completely trust DVOA over points allowed in this case…we all saw what happened to buffalos defense when we played great teams last year. Doesn’t seem like they account for quality of opponents enough 

Id take spagnuolo/the kc defense in a big game over the pre von miller bills defense every single time 

They were 8th in points allowed per game last season and 10th the season before and 7th the season before that.  The only time his defense was bad was the year they won the superbowl ironically. 

’he hasn’t had a defense to back him up’ is really just pro mahomes propaganda 🤣

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

9 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

i really havnt been on here since before the game and i'm not swimming through all 40 pages. So maybe its been mentioned already. But a huge takeaway for me is the Bills being able to stifle run games with light boxes. Thats such a HUGE freaking advantage. All year long we've heard about this dominating interior OL in KC. if you take out Mahomes 4 scrambles on pass plays the chiefs ran 14 times for 57 yards!!! 3.3 a clip.... This team is going to be REALLY hard to beat if they can keep that up.

After a whole season of being labled soft in 2021, the #1 run defense in the nfl now resides in orchard park.... This also should pay large dividends come january when teams have no choice but to run the ball. 

All the talk on the defensive side is about Von Miller and rightfully so, he without doubt has brought an extra edge and for this particular game he was the "closer" that we all envisioned and hoped for him to be.

But what is not talked about in my view nearly enough is the pickup of Daquan, Settle and Phillips.   These guys have completely changed the complexity of this defense, we are now one of the best run stuffing teams in the league and as you noted a lot of it is with light boxes.   It allows the defense so much more flexibility to run the sort of nickel base defense that they want to run.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

All the talk on the defensive side is about Von Miller and rightfully so, he without doubt has brought an extra edge and for this particular game he was the "closer" that we all envisioned and hoped for him to be.

But what is not talked about in my view nearly enough is the pickup of Daquan, Settle and Phillips.   These guys have completely changed the complexity of this defense, we are now one of the best run stuffing teams in the league and as you noted a lot of it is with light boxes.   It allows the defense so much more flexibility to run the sort of nickel base defense that they want to run.

100%. I dont think it can be overstated that the interior OL in KC is universally regarded as the top group in the league.... and they could get nothing going inside. NOTHING.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

100%. I dont think it can be overstated that the interior OL in KC is universally regarded as the top group in the league.... and they could get nothing going inside. NOTHING.

Well said. After 6 games, the Buffalo run defense is elite. 

The Josh Allen-Patrick Mahomes Cinematic Universe

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2022/josh-allen-patrick-mahomes-cinematic-universe

What Happened: There comes a point in many superhero epics where the good guy and bad guy just stand there and shoot their mighty light beams at each other.

You know the scene: hero and villain unleash their different-colored cosmic-powered special effects, which collide halfway between them in a roiling explosion. Both parties grunt and grimace in search of more power, but neither power ray overwhelms the other. If you watch a lot of superhero/anime movies and cartoons, you probably yawn through the beam-on-beam battle: you know that hero and villain are equally powerful, and you have seen the light show before. (In anime, it's probably recycled animation.) You just want to see how the conflict gets resolved so you can move on to the next chapter of the saga.

That's what the Bills-Chiefs game was like. Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes held back none of their optic blasts or omega rays. But the Chiefs and Bills kept driving into each other's territory and making mistakes: a fumble on a silly pitch play, an end zone interception, some fourth-down stops, a missed field goal, etc. There was plenty of spectacle, but we have seen it all executed a little better in earlier installments of the trilogy.

Allen finally blew the CGI budget on the final Bills touchdown drive, going full Kryptonian on a 16-yard rumble before firing a 14-yard guided touchdown missile to Dawson Knox. Mahomes tried to snap his fingers and undo reality but discovered that Bills defender Taron Johnson had intercepted the Infinity Gauntlet.

Elated? Mildly disappointed? Either way: the studio plans to release another sequel in late January.

What it Means: The Bills are the best team in the NFL. The Chiefs are the second-best team in the AFC. That's the problem with long-running superhero franchises: they rarely break any new ground.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.