Patriots may have a QB

Einstein

50 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Have never watched a whole segment w/ Wright before, and I know he says things for effect, but have to say I give him credit for throwing the phrase "and all the cheating" in there - which I never hear any media person utter.  It always boggles my mind peope throw the goat crap at bellicheat and brady and - bizarro world - even non-Cheater fans have been conditioned to just ignore the cheating - which was absolutely integral to the success of BOTH of them.

Also the Mac Jones stats were shocking - both how bad this year (below 32!) - and the stats since the hurricane game. That was crazy to see

Honestly the show is funnier than I remember, watched him do his tier list this week he did the thing you knew he would making the Chiefs #1 and then gets mocked for it, as he should, then it quickly transitions to an intervention for how high he has Trevor Lawrence and the Jaguars still.

A pretty good article on the QB mess in NE

Mac Jones vs. Bailey Zappe: Dawn of Controversy

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2022/mac-jones-vs-bailey-zappe-dawn-controversy

Mac Jones and Bailey Zappe are probably not very good quarterbacks. The New England Patriots and their fans need to embrace that simple fact as a first step on the path to wisdom. Jones and/or Zappe could someday develop into capable, second-quartile, "win-with" starters under the right circumstances. Jones appeared to be on track to become one in 2021, when he finished 12th in DYAR and was prematurely anointed as Tom Brady 2.0 and Anyone Who Claims Otherwise is a Hater. But right now, both are stopgaps who can only win games that the Patriots defense largely wins for them.

When the offense sputtered throughout training camp, Matt Patricia and Joe Judge began casting doubts on Jones behind the scenes as a CYA tactic. Please don't pretend this is in any way out of character for them. Belichick, stretched very thin these days, relies heavily on Beavis and Butt-Head for insight about what's going on day-to-day offensively, so Jones' rough camp and any skullduggery confirmed his skepticism. 

Jones is pressing and hesitant because he's expected to truly operate the offense, which is of dubious quality due to the Derpy Boys coaching tandem and a complete lack of pure speed at the skill positions. Zappe looked great executing custom game plans designed around remedial passing concepts, which was all the Patriots needed in his two starts. The Derpy Boys, who suddenly started looking smart when they got credit for every Zappe completion, are incentivized to press their advantage when advising the boss.

Belichick must now make his first meaningful long-term quarterback decision in 21 years. He is almost certainly aware that neither Jones nor Zappe is Brady. He may not be aware of how much pressure Jones is under to be Brady, or how much pressure Zappe will be under to be Jones. His Patriots are tone deaf to that sort of thing. They're making the kind of mistakes the Jets and Browns have made with young quarterbacks for 20 years: getting caught up in hot streaks, playing backroom politics, letting the crowd sway Caesar's hand. They don't realize they're doing so, because they don't believe they are organizationally capable of such mistakes.

• Thank you (+1) 1

So since the Wind Game in Buffalo, Mac Jones is 2-7 as a starter with 10 TDs and 13 INTs over 9 games.  

His numbers this year are 1-3 WL record with 2 TDs and 6 INTs.  Having Patricia calling plays has been a problem.  

No playoffs is a real possibility.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/26/2022 at 12:01 PM, Captain Hindsight said:

He definitely needed some polishing, but he also made some guys look silly with his throws and runs. Dude was a gamer and if he could be more consistent, there was incredible potential 

TBH, statistically, JA was trash in his first and second years.   Some of that was on him, but a lot of it was on poor coaching in his rookie season (as in lack of an experienced QB coach) and a poor supporting cast.  What didn't show up in his stats was his willingness to do anything to win as well as his continual improvement early on.  His leadership was on display from the get-go, too.  He played considerably better after sitting out his elbow injuring, which obviously had given him time to observe and figure out the pro game better.  He was considerably better at the beginning of his second season than he'd been as a rookie, and he improved all through his sophomore season even though his stats didn't blow anybody away.

A lot of QBs have the physical skills but not the mental traits to be successful.  Some have the mental traits but not the physical ability.  Others have both physical and mental skills but not the leadership (ie, "it factor") and vice versa.   Allen has it all!

39 minutes ago, SoTier said:

TBH, statistically, JA was trash in his first and second years.   Some of that was on him, but a lot of it was on poor coaching in his rookie season (as in lack of an experienced QB coach) and a poor supporting cast.  What didn't show up in his stats was his willingness to do anything to win as well as his continual improvement early on.  His leadership was on display from the get-go, too.  He played considerably better after sitting out his elbow injuring, which obviously had given him time to observe and figure out the pro game better.  He was considerably better at the beginning of his second season than he'd been as a rookie, and he improved all through his sophomore season even though his stats didn't blow anybody away.

A lot of QBs have the physical skills but not the mental traits to be successful.  Some have the mental traits but not the physical ability.  Others have both physical and mental skills but not the leadership (ie, "it factor") and vice versa.   Allen has it all!

In all fairness Josh played noticeably better after getting ko'd in the first Pats*** game in his 2nd year(Threw 3 INTs that game). He didn't light the league on fire with a ton of passing yards, but finished the year with 17 TDs and only 3 INTs from that point forward. Still had some bad games, but up to that point in his career he had 13 TDs and 18 INTs. So it was a marked improvement over his first 16 games.

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Except with 2 far less talented QBs

one was a top 20 1st rounder and the other was a 4-6 round pick

then you had fan split

similarities to the Johnson-Flutie stuff because Buffalo traded a 1st for Johnson and sign flutieas vet from CFL

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

one was a top 20 1st rounder and the other was a 4-6 round pick

then you had fan split

similarities to the Johnson-Flutie stuff because Buffalo traded a 1st for Johnson and sign flutieas vet from CFL

I get the comparisons. I just wanted to dig on the Pats.

Cousins, RG3, Flutie, and even Johnson were all far better QBs than Zappe or McCorkle.

This may be one of the least talented QB controversies the NFL has seen. Couldnt happen to a better team.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

A pretty good article on the QB mess in NE

Mac Jones vs. Bailey Zappe: Dawn of Controversy

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2022/mac-jones-vs-bailey-zappe-dawn-controversy

Interesting insights into the Patriots QB situation.

I think Josh McDaniels is under-appreciated as an OC and he learned something from mis-handling Sam Bradford in St Louis.  He had Mac looking very capable and steady last season. 

I think Judge and Patricia are a hot mess as OC's, much less joint OCs, but I have to admit throwing Mac to the wolves in a CYA maneuver didn't occur to me.  Now that the authors raise it, I can totally see it.

Ya Hate to See It

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.