Patriots may have a QB

Einstein

I would be shocked if Belichick does not go back to Mac when he is deemed healthy.  If he doesn’t, he’s effectively turning the page on Mac already and taking a chance that Zappe is their long-term solution.  And could then very quickly end up with zero long-term solutions, if/when things turn south on Zappe.  The smart move is to go back to Mac, and if he underperforms, then he can turn back to Zappe once again.

• Like (+1) 1

I know people would love to see the Patriots go 0-17 one of these years but that is not happening with Belichick...........the best possible scenario is that they remain a fringe playoff level team with an undersized and/or unathletic soft-tossing QB..........like Zappe or Mac.   QB purgatory keeps them out of the running for an elite QB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

I know people would love to see the Patriots go 0-17 one of these years but that is not happening with Belichick...........the best possible scenario is that they remain a fringe playoff level team with an undersized and/or unathletic soft-tossing QB..........like Zappe or Mac.   QB purgatory keeps them out of the running for an elite QB.

Us for 2 decades before Allen 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Agree.  I want to see them go 20 years of 6-11 thru 9-8 and not get a quality QB. 

Thinking back to the Bills QB drought, so much of it was bad the Front Office(s) making bad QB selections and also not making enough QB picks either.  It seems like we didn't draft enough QBs.  If you don't have one, then you need to focus on getting one instead of picking up journeymen QBs and hoping for a miracle just to make the playoffs.  

The GM turnover of Donahoe, Levy, Brandon, Nix, Whaley was part of the problem too.  You cannot build a solid foundation when you replace the FO and coaching staff every 3-4 years - all you do is get into a restart loop.   I think Kraft knows better.  It will be interesting to see who he hires when Billy B finally steps down.  

4 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Agree.  I want to see them go 20 years of 6-11 thru 9-8 and not get a quality QB. 

Thinking back to the Bills QB drought, so much of it was bad the Front Office(s) making bad QB selections and also not making enough QB picks either.  It seems like we didn't draft enough QBs.  If you don't have one, then you need to focus on getting one instead of picking up journeymen QBs and hoping for a miracle just to make the playoffs.  

The GM turnover of Donahoe, Levy, Brandon, Nix, Whaley was part of the problem too.  You cannot build a solid foundation when you replace the FO and coaching staff every 3-4 years - all you do is get into a restart loop.   I think Kraft knows better.  It will be interesting to see who he hires when Billy B finally steps down. 

2010 was a turning point.  That's the year Sam Bradford was drafted, the last year before rookie contracts scaled by draft slot were instituted.

The Rams signed Sam Bradford to a 6 year, $78M contract with $50M guaranteed - before he'd ever played a snap in the NFL.

So 2010 and prior, if a team pulled the draft trigger and got it wrong, they could be "on the hook" for big bucks, for a long time.

Of course that was true to a lesser extent of other high draft picks.  But I think it played into Ralph Wilson's risk aversion - why he preferred to trade a 1st round pick for Rob Johnson, who he thought was proven to play in the NFL, vs. drafting a QB

Just my thoughts.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

2010 was a turning point.  That's the year Sam Bradford was drafted, the last year before rookie contracts scaled by draft slot were instituted.

The Rams signed Sam Bradford to a 6 year, $78M contract with $50M guaranteed - before he'd ever played a snap in the NFL.

So 2010 and prior, if a team pulled the draft trigger and got it wrong, they could be "on the hook" for big bucks, for a long time.

Of course that was true to a lesser extent of other high draft picks.  But I think it played into Ralph Wilson's risk aversion - why he preferred to trade a 1st round pick for Rob Johnson, who he thought was proven to play in the NFL, vs. drafting a QB

Just my thoughts.

I would tend to agree. QBs get the most attention and the $ always goes with it. The Jim Kelly experience I am sure soured him between the money, contract, and ability for a player to not play. Obviously this is not full proof as they did draft Losman, but the Bills QB draft history was pretty sour forever on going big for a guy up high in the draft until Allen. And 100% agree the rookie contract cap really changed things and for small market franchises allowed them to be far more competitive out of the gate with much less risk.

On 10/17/2022 at 7:00 AM, Whites Bay said:

Good point.  I remember having all the hope in the world for Todd Collins a long, long time ago.  It was an impossible task.

I had hopes for Todd Collins for the Bills from the time he was drafted until Jim Kelly’s charity softball game the summer of that same year.  While everyone else was either engaging with fans or other NFL or NHL players, Collins was hanging out at the keg with the backwards baseball cap in full frat boy mode.  

I remember thinking “Damn, this kid could be picking Kelly or Marino’s brain, or at least hanging with his future o-line. He’s too immature to be the future”

It was fun watching Corey Louchey and Rob Ray get into it though.  It started off as horsing around then appeared to look more serious at which point Louchey picked up Ray and started throwing him around like a sack of flour.  At least I think it was Louchey.  Been a long time!

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Zappe looks great again.

That TD pass was way under thrown. But he was so wide open he had enough time to fall down, get up and score.

Mac Jones however is throwing the lamest ducks I've ever seen on an NFL field. Making Duck Hodges look like Farve. 

Edited by Motorin'

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Zappe looks great again.

He had two check downs and needed a miracle catch on a blown coverage with nobody within 10 yards of his WR. He might be better than Jones, but like Jones, the zip on the ball is average, he accuracy is meh. He seems smart. He could grow, but to me he is a Jones 2.0 which means a very tight ceiling, if you really like him, maybe a Jones 2.1.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.