Diggs vs. Chiefs/Spagnuolo Defense

Sammy Watkins' Rib

We are starting to get a decent sample size now, 4 games since Diggs arrived in Buffalo in 2020.

These are his numbers:

2020 Reg:    8 TGTS  6 REC  46 YDS  1 TD

2020 Post:  11 TGTS  6 REC  77 YDS  0 TD

2021 Reg:    5 TGTS  2 REC   59 TDS  0 TD

2021 Post:   6 TGTS  3 REC     7  YDS  0 TD 2PT Conversion REC

Every game is under his per game average for receiving yards for that year, 95yds in 2020 and 72 yards in 2021. Despite the lack of production the Bills had plenty of offensive success in the two most recent games.

It's probably only a matter of time before Diggs has a Diggs type game. 120 yards 9 receptions 1 TD. 

Thus far in 2022, through 5 games, Diggs has gone over 100 yards in 3 out of the 5 games. He's had at least 62 yards and 4 receptions in all five games. 

On a side note, Gabe Davis appears to have developed into one of the better deep threat receivers in the league. And the Chiefs defense just gave up 58yd and 48yd TD's to Devante Adams.

• Sad 2

Diggs is pretty amazing.. But KC generally roughs him up pretty good. They get pretty physical at the line and that was not good for Diggs or Beasley when he was here. Davis obviously isn’t going to get jammed up as easy. 
I hope they put Diggs in motion more for this game. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, SCBills said:

Getting ready to make this same point plus 2 others.

1. As OP notes above, no Ward (criminally underrated). Just watch SF defense, to see the difference he makes.

2. The Emergence of Gabe Davis

3. Diggs is noticeably bigger/stronger this year. I believe he said he put on about 10-12lbs of lean muscle, and it has showed in his play.

Given these 3 things, I expect him to have one of his better games against them.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

Diggs should improve, but they played the Bills most teams should play the Bills.  Shut down Diggs and let the other guys beat you.  Davis didn't really emerge until the end of last year.  So we might see a different strategy this time.

No "might" about it.  Davis torched them last time and is coming off a 3-catch 171 yard and 2 TD performance against a secondary no worse than his own.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

No "might" about it.  Davis torched them last time and is coming off a 3-catch 171 yard and 2 TD performance against a secondary no worse than his own.

They have to pick their poison.  They might let Davis beat them again.   Diggs is the guy they like to shut down because he keeps the offense on the field and Mahomes off the field.  Gabe gets big plays but he doesn't help control the clock.  

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

They have to pick their poison.  They might let Davis beat them again.   Diggs is the guy they like to shut down because he keeps the offense on the field and Mahomes off the field.  Gabe gets big plays but he doesn't help control the clock.  

It will be interesting to see what they do.

• Like (+1) 1

I will agree with the OP as I mentioned in the game thread. I'm glad that Diggs proved me wrong today but until he started making big catches at the end of the game I was in this corner as well.  For whatever reason in Kansas City games, he has been minimized until today. I'm glad he got over the hump today.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I will agree with the OP as I mentioned in the game thread. I'm glad that Diggs proved me wrong today but until he started making big catches at the end of the game I was in this corner as well.  For whatever reason in Kansas City games, he has been minimized until today. I'm glad he got over the hump today.

It probably largely has to do with personnel changes. @Zerovoltz could probably tell us. The way to beat the Chiefs used to be with RB's and TE's. Now it might be with WR's.

19 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

It probably largely has to do with personnel changes. @Zerovoltz could probably tell us. The way to beat the Chiefs used to be with RB's and TE's. Now it might be with WR's.

I think this is correct at this point.

Prior to this year, KC had Charvarious Ward and a mix of Sneed, Fenton, Breeland...guys who were pretty good at man coverage.  Conversely, they had way too often, Dan Sorenson, Nick Nieman, and Anthony Hitchens playing S, LB and LB respectively.  Those 3 guys coudln't cover TE/RB at all.  

That's kind of flipped.  Botlon at LB, and Gay are good at covering backs and TE.  GAy was out this game, but Darrius Harris as the backup who's been playing, has been good at it too.  The secondary is in the midst of a major overhaul.  You guys got to see it today, Rookie Corners and Sneed.  

Guys we were missing -  McDuffie, the 1st round corner....got hurt early but had played well.  Missing Gay.  Missing Cook at S (who doens't start but plays alot)  I am not making any excuses...the outcome would likely have been the same with those guys all in...the rookie corners aren't awesome but they do what they are asked in Scags system and as I said...he doesn't care....if you are out there, Scags is going to ask you to man cover quite a bit.  It's a big ask for rookie 7th and 4th rounders. 

If anyone is interested, I'll give my thoughts on the whole thing in a reply to my pre game analysis.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

I think this is correct at this point.

Prior to this year, KC had Charvarious Ward and a mix of Sneed, Fenton, Breeland...guys who were pretty good at man coverage.  Conversely, they had way too often, Dan Sorenson, Nick Nieman, and Anthony Hitchens playing S, LB and LB respectively.  Those 3 guys coudln't cover TE/RB at all.  

That's kind of flipped.  Botlon at LB, and Gay are good at covering backs and TE.  GAy was out this game, but Darrius Harris as the backup who's been playing, has been good at it too.  The secondary is in the midst of a major overhaul.  You guys got to see it today, Rookie Corners and Sneed.  

Guys we were missing -  McDuffie, the 1st round corner....got hurt early but had played well.  Missing Gay.  Missing Cook at S (who doens't start but plays alot)  I am not making any excuses...the outcome would likely have been the same with those guys all in...the rookie corners aren't awesome but they do what they are asked in Scags system and as I said...he doesn't care....if you are out there, Scags is going to ask you to man cover quite a bit.  It's a big ask for rookie 7th and 4th rounders. 

If anyone is interested, I'll give my thoughts on the whole thing in a reply to my pre game analysis.

I noticed that they changed it up on the Bills quite a bit tonight. This year they have been playing a lot of cover 4 zone defense to protect their younger secondary players but I think Spags knew that Allen would just pick that apart slowly so he went back to the old lets get them before they get us mentality by going man with heavy dog blitzes to disrupt the Bills offensive line.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.