Best sub/hoagies in Buffalo area

Brennan Huff

Hey guys. Best wings and pizza has been asked a lot but where is the best Deli sandwich or whatever you want to call it? I’m heading to Buffalo tonight and I was hoping to get some ideas. I probably should have started this thread sooner but whatever 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Brennan Huff

• Brennan Huff changed the title to Best sub/hoagies in Buffalo area

You’re heading to Buffalo on a away week? 

And it all depends what kind of subs or stuff you want.. Hot cold

If you want something like a chicken finger sub.. You can probably go to any local mom and pop pizzeria

If you want like roast beef or some thing Charlie the Butcher

Artones in south Buffalo is super famous for its steak hoagie 

18 minutes ago, boater said:

Charlie the Butcher, multiple locations. If you're flying in, there's one adjacent to the airport. 1065 Wehrle Dr, Williamsville, NY 14221

It's a bit of a dive.

https://www.charliethebutcher.com/files/2815/2172/0456/103665_CTB_Cayuga_Menu_3-18_2.pdf

This menu would be twice as expensive here in Florida, virtually any food item. Drinks look the same.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

John & Mary's is usually toward the top of the list when this topic comes up.

I stopped at John & Mary’s in Hamburg when I was back for a game a few years ago (pre-Covid). It was a treat I remembered from my childhood and I was half expecting to be disappointed. Boy was I wrong. I got the Royal sub and it was a real treat. 

BTW - What is the difference between a sub and a hoagie? I just looked at their menu and they are different sections. Oh, and I now know what I want for dinner, and there is nothing in Atlanta I’d want as much as I want another one of those subs! 

4 hours ago, boater said:

Charlie the Butcher, multiple locations. If you're flying in, there's one adjacent to the airport. 1065 Wehrle Dr, Williamsville, NY 14221

It's a bit of a dive.

https://www.charliethebutcher.com/files/2815/2172/0456/103665_CTB_Cayuga_Menu_3-18_2.pdf

IF you are at Charlie the Butcher’s, try the German potatoe salad. I had forgotten how good that could be!  

34 minutes ago, Augie said:

I stopped at John & Mary’s in Hamburg when I was back for a game a few years ago (pre-Covid). It was a treat I remembered from my childhood and I was half expecting to be disappointed. Boy was I wrong. I got the Royal sub and it was a real treat. 

BTW - What is the difference between a sub and a hoagie? I just looked at their menu and they are different sections. Oh, and I now know what I want for dinner, and there is nothing in Atlanta I’d want as much as I want another one of those subs! 

IF you are at Charlie the Butcher’s, try the German potatoe salad. I had forgotten how good that could be!  

With hoagies everything is usually all chopped up and mixed together

Charlie the Butcher is a solid idea; that will offer you a special, memorable meal, which I guess is what you are after.

For this type of quick meal Charlie is great.

Another idea might be to hit one of the Anderson's locations and do some roast beef,  curly Q fries, and get a twist for dessert.

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Could be. It appears they separate it with subs having cheese, lettuce and tomatoes. I guess that makes sense. Regardless, this has made me hungry! 

https://www.myjohnandmarys.com/general-2-1

Submarines have layers…

Their pepper and onion hoagie for instance would be steak or chicken with cheese and sweet peppers and onions all grilled and mixed on the flattop and put on a roll

Most pizzerias in the city do something similar

Edited by Buffalo716

On 10/14/2022 at 10:12 AM, Brennan Huff said:

Hey guys. Best wings and pizza has been asked a lot but where is the best Deli sandwich or whatever you want to call it? I’m heading to Buffalo tonight and I was hoping to get some ideas. I probably should have started this thread sooner but whatever 🤷🏻‍♂️

Kind of a generic answer but imo you can't go wrong with Wegmans.

The last Bills game my dad and I went to years ago we split a 14 inch sub in the parking lots.  

I only say that as depending where you live now there might not be one near you.

DiBella's is pretty good as well.  I think they are in the Buffalo area.  

On 10/14/2022 at 10:12 AM, Brennan Huff said:

grom ehrn I’m in town….thr places I regularly get sandwiches from ( they are also pizza places)

in tonawandas….

Francos

Plaza Pizza

Wallys 

Johns Pizza and subs near boulevard mall

On 10/14/2022 at 5:50 PM, Augie said:

There’s a place in Cartersville called Larry’s. I believe they use those fantastic Costanzo rolls made in Cheektowaga. They even have that signature Italian sausage/capicola Royal sub popular in WNY. Looks every bit like John & Mary’s or other Buffalo area sub shops. It’s about 30 minutes up I-75 for me. Looks like there’s another one south of Atl in Fayetteville.
Haven’t tried it yet, but plan on going to Cartersville some afternoon. In the near future. https://larryssubs.com/?fbclid=IwAR2RRWwrdrrb_-Dux8iVpopSECScMbtEiduKNlfCTlN4D-oQJPcr5pViwMo

Edited by SoMAn
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.