Kurt Warner - Tale of 2 Teams

inthebuff

33 minutes ago, inthebuff said:

Kurt's analysis of Denver and the Bills running almost the exact plays.  Cool look at the game of inches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DApSid9_aIg

This is a fantastic find, Thank you! 

Kurt Warner had a ring-side seat to how an offense could be good or bad *with the same QB* depending upon those inches.

• Like (+1) 1

Thank you - it sadly helps to explain nearly two decades of drought. Buffalo got to experience a lot of poor to mediocre QB play in those years.  It’s hard to believe Wilson is struggling so badly in Denver.  Probably also has something to do with the cycle of the QB can make the receivers look good and the receivers can make the QB look good.  

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Thank you - it sadly helps to explain nearly two decades of drought. Buffalo got to experience a lot of poor to mediocre QB play in those years.  It’s hard to believe Wilson is struggling so badly in Denver.  Probably also has something to do with the cycle of the QB can make the receivers look good and the receivers can make the QB look good.  

Well, yes and no.

Part of Warner's point (as I see it anyway) is that both Wilson and Allen (in the Pittsburgh game), were playing balls-out in-your-face football.

They both had safer, higher percentage completions they passed up in favor of "going for the gusto".

Wilson can save the Bronco's season if he looks at the tape and takes more of those safe throws, dinks and dunks a bit, gets the defense to choke down on those, and THEN goes for the kill.  This is the way Mac Jones had success last season.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This is one of the most interesting breakdowns I've seen. It's simple to follow & illustrates how huge just a few small things can be.

The pass into triple coverage to Shakir? Typically not the look you want, but the pass was good & the catch even better. Wilson threw it to a less contested area, yet his pass was just a bit off & receiver didn't put the effort into it.

Just goes to show how much it means to these guys when they see Josh stiff arm a guy fighting for extra yards. Makes them want to fight for everything & give all they got.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Allen + Diggs

2 humans---made all the difference a couple yrs ago. Breakdown is excellent. Clearly shows similar plays resulted in hero vs zero  

Jun 11, 2020 "I'm not going to be Captain Check down," Allen said. But, our guy can back it up with results!!

Edited by Since1981
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, inthebuff said:

Kurt's analysis of Denver and the Bills running almost the exact plays.  Cool look at the game of inches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DApSid9_aIg

This can't be right.  C**t Fahey said the Bills are good in spite of Josh.  Surely Russ has the weapons to run a great offense in spite of himself.

• Like (+1) 1

The interesting thing is Kurt Warner's use of Russell Wilson and the Denver Broncos as an example of the bad team/QB.  There was a time not so long ago that Wilson was regarded as one of the top QBs in the league by many.  It's not like the difference was in Buffalo having elite receivers either.  In the first two examples for Buffalo, it was rookie fifth round draft pick Khalil Shakir making the play.  Most of us like Shakir as a receiver, especially after the Pittsburgh game, but I think at least one of the Denver receivers in those first two examples had more experience and a better college pedigree than Shakir.  Interesting.

• Like (+1) 1

It was interesting to understand more about the contested catch by Gabe Davis.  I still don't understand why we got him in the 4th round or whenever it was that we drafted him.  As a rookie he looked more polished than I expected so I thought that he probably did not have strong athletic skills.  This catch showcases his athletic skills - holding Minkah Fitzpatrick off with one hand, corralling the ball with the other and then just using superior strength and hand coordination to rip and rob a truly elite athlete of the ball.  Fun to watch. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't know, but I see this as more of a underhanded complement to JA, especially coming from Kurt. There's only one time that I remember him being truly complimentary to JA, and I think it was either the Rams or Titans game this year.

And where were the inches?  Better throws by Allen, and better routes by the receivers. 

Edited by Allen2Moulds
  • Like (+1) 2

This comparison is an example of when a receiver actually makes a play on the ball, and runs routes correctly as compared to receivers who are not doing that. Of course having a good working relationship between QB and said receivers is important. Good team  vs bad team is an accurate description. 

Edited by Don Otreply

This was billed as the difference inches can make, but it's really the difference EVERYTHING can make.  A better, stronger, more accurate QB with top-level receivers, all of them on the same page. vs.  A more experienced but not as strong or accurate QB, with prima dona receivers who think they can just do whatever they want because they're (fill in the blank, Jeudy or someone else).  A more confident, take no prisoners QB at the top of his game.  vs  A frustrated, demoralized QB whose receivers are not doing whatever they can to make him look good.  

Also the Colts D is somewhat better than the Steelers D, this year, so Wilson had a tougher opponent to contend with.

The takeaway here?  Have the Broncos coaches show this comparison to their players and hope everyone gets smarter.

The Broncos better fix this fast, or this trade will gut them for half a decade.  Two firsts and two seconds plus some other players, for THIS?  Yikes.

Edited by Utah John

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.