Chip the balls?

The Red King

5 hours ago, ChasBB said:

How about this for field goals?  ... 😀 ...

New_Goal_Post.jpg

In Gaelic football, it actually works the other way, 3 points below the crossbar (a goal) and 1 point (a point) above the crossbar.  The goal posts are taken to extend upwards forever.  They only use cameras to decide on whether a point is scored -- not goals.

Actually FGs would be more exciting if the NFL gave more points for lower field goals.  That would increase the probability of a FG being blocked and require much more precision and touch from the kicker.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

lol it's in every thread after the Bills lose a challenge at the goal line or of a spot.

Why not just put a chip in the baseball and do balls and strikes too?

Probably because it doesn't work, not to mention - things don't need to be right all the time.  You play baseball for your entire life with human umps, but now you get to the show and theres some computer determining balls and strikes... just doesn't seem right to me.  Same goes here, until college they didn't even do reviews for your entire football life.  It's part of the game.

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Probably because it doesn't work, not to mention - things don't need to be right all the time.  You play baseball for your entire life with human umps, but now you get to the show and theres some computer determining balls and strikes... just doesn't seem right to me.  Same goes here, until college they didn't even do reviews for your entire football life.  It's part of the game.

balls and strikes wouldn't need a chip and would be the easiest thing in sports to automate.  They should do it because each ump shouldn't be allowed to reinterpret what is the strike zone. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

In Gaelic football, it actually works the other way, 3 points below the crossbar (a goal) and 1 point (a point) above the crossbar.  The goal posts are taken to extend upwards forever.  They only use cameras to decide on whether a point is scored -- not goals.

Actually FGs would be more exciting if the NFL gave more points for lower field goals.  That would increase the probability of a FG being blocked and require much more precision and touch from the kicker.

Good point!

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

balls and strikes wouldn't need a chip and would be the easiest thing in sports to automate.  They should do it because each ump shouldn't be allowed to reinterpret what is the strike zone. 

I hate using replay in most sports.  I like how NFL streamlined some things on obvious challenge plays to speed up play.  But the things people want to most challenge are BS penalty calls.  

Baseball is probably the worst though.  Seems like you can challenge everything but balls and strikes, and its obnoxious.  Players scout umps, they know what their zone is before a game.  To me its such a non-issue.

Hockey Offside challenge is terrible, one of the worst replay rules.  VAR is terrible in soccer. There are line judges whos sole purpose is to call Offside, just let them do it.  

Jumping in, skipping the 4 pages.... 

I know my alma mater (Oklahoma State) uses a technology that has chips inside basketballs to monitor the number of shots a player takes, where on the floor and if he/she misses or hits a shot. You'd think they have this tech for football as well. 

https://www.ocolly.com/sports/trackers-in-the-toolbox-how-osu-basketball-uses-technology-to-gain-an-edge/article_eca722aa-4ec7-11eb-8bed-d7c1a36171c2.html

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Imagine how expensive that would get. 300,000 baseballs are used in a MLB season. 

Then think about all the fans that would have access to those chips with foul balls and HR's... and I could see someone hacking the MLB network to screw up a game. 

Edited by ArdmoreRyno

46 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I hate using replay in most sports.  I like how NFL streamlined some things on obvious challenge plays to speed up play.  But the things people want to most challenge are BS penalty calls.  

Baseball is probably the worst though.  Seems like you can challenge everything but balls and strikes, and its obnoxious.  Players scout umps, they know what their zone is before a game.  To me its such a non-issue.

Hockey Offside challenge is terrible, one of the worst replay rules.  VAR is terrible in soccer. There are line judges whos sole purpose is to call Offside, just let them do it.  

They should allow off sides in the NHL.  Might make the regular season games worth watching 

Obviously, as has been stated, GPS wouldn't work, as it isn't accurate enough. But, the technology is clearly there. The motion capture technology that we use in the motion picture industry is accurate to within a millimeter on stages as large as a football field.

Also, the AI technology is certainly there to replace much of the officiating, and implanting a chip in John Hussey's brain would clear up a lot of bad calls.

45 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Jumping in, skipping the 4 pages.... 

I know my alma mater (Oklahoma State) uses a technology that has chips inside basketballs to monitor the number of shots a player takes, where on the floor and if he/she misses or hits a shot. You'd think they have this tech for football as well. 

https://www.ocolly.com/sports/trackers-in-the-toolbox-how-osu-basketball-uses-technology-to-gain-an-edge/article_eca722aa-4ec7-11eb-8bed-d7c1a36171c2.html

Imagine how expensive that would get. 300,000 baseballs are used in a MLB season. 

Then think about all the fans that would have access to those chips with foul balls and HR's... and I could see someone hacking the MLB network to screw up a game. 

Baseball doesn't need chips.  They already have the strikezone box on broadcasts. Just implement a version of it to call balls and strikes

On 10/13/2022 at 8:39 PM, Ga boy said:

Do we get the female robot voice:  In 23 yards you will reach you destination.  

Actually certain plays in a football game would be hysterical if commented this way.

"In 26 yards you will reach your destination.  Warning!  Imminent collision with defender's left buttock."

OK maybe I just have a warped sense of humor, but you have to imagine that in the robot voice.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.