Micah Hyde has successful surgery 6-9 month recovery

Dablitzkrieg

13 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Has anyone heard of a player (this decade) have an unsuccessful surgery?

I'm trying to remember. Medicine is getting so good that it feels like success is the only option now.

It's been reported that the 1st time OBJ got hurt it was not fixed properly causing him to get injured again last season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

Wonder why Hyde flew all the way out to LA for the surgery. The northeast is known for great medical centers, unless this particular doctor was just heads and shoulders above the others in his field.

Rumor is Hyde observed the team surgeon and couldn't stop touching the sides and making the player's nose glow.

80s commercials GIF

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Have to think Hyde is done as a Bill. He was a fantastic FA signing.

I dont know exactly where the doctor thinks Hyde will be in 6 to 9 months. Ready to practice? Will be be able and willing to play again?

Hope the Bills win the Super Bowl and their safety tandem might not return,if they do.

11 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Wonder why Hyde flew all the way out to LA for the surgery. The northeast is known for great medical centers, unless this particular doctor was just heads and shoulders above the others in his field.

He does live in Southern Cal in the off-season, may have been a factor for follow ups etc

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Has anyone heard of a player (this decade) have an unsuccessful surgery?

I'm trying to remember. Medicine is getting so good that it feels like success is the only option now.

Well it wasn’t surgery in a hospital setting but the chargers doctor did puncture Tyrod Taylor’s lung administering a pain injection.

4 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Wonder if it was a similar to the eichel injury? 

Both had herniated discs in their necks so yeah, it’s nearly identical. The 6-9 month recovery time suggests he had the fusion procedure to repair it vs the disc replacement Eichel opted for which has a much shorter recovery period. 

2 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

I doubt he will ever be in a Bills uniform again.

I think that would probably be the only way Poyer hangs around next year. If Hyde has to retire prematurely due to injury and Poyer is willing to accept short term extension like 2 yrs max.

Neck injuries are no joke and it is something you don't want to mess with. Definitely has to consider his long term risks from continuing to play once healthy.

10 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

this injury is no joke. had a herniation rupture and still can't feel my leg fully 

Agree.  Disc herniations in the back and neck can be life altering.  I had a similar injury in my lower back disc rupture/herniation and I was a very competitive athlete and training to turn pro (not bragging but for context).  My issue was the mental side of it. The injury itself was extremely painful and I had nerve issues all down my leg and couldn't feel my leg from the knee down.   While the doctors told me it would fully heal and I could resume where I left off, they also said that if I re-injured the same disc it could have extremely serious consequences to the nerves in my back and lower half.  It hasn't been extremely bad and I am in the military, so I am fully functional....but I have never been able to play that sport ever again.  I've tried and I miss it like I cannot explain, but every time I try I just think about what could happen and how that would impact my life and my family.   Some folks, while physically able, have a hard time coming back from these types of injuries.   Hope MH fully heals and doesn’t face some of the mental hurdles that come with returning from this type of thing.

Edited by BuffalointheUK
grammar
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The good news is the surgery went well.  Also, it's good that the Bills should get a decent report how his recovery is going

by the draft.  Micah will start out the summer on PUP and with a little luck be back, good to go, for camp.

Neck surgeries are unique to everyone.  For all saying he never plays again, all I'll say is I have a brother that had spine fusion 50 years ago.

He has never had an issue with it.  We will find out in the spring or early summer how Hyde is doing.