All your juicy Odell Beckham gossip

Simon

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The entire video had 14 throws… And not all of them were easy catches

Does he need to get his hands together, yea… But the caption of the video would make you think there’s 40 throws being dropped

He is lower on the # of targets than a lot of the other #2 WRs. I think if he got the drops together, Josh may target him more. He does need to get more separation too though.

Edited by What a Tuel

26 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Im not flogging anyone. Hes near the top of the league in drops and some of those drops were ugly. This is may be the first time I’ve commented on Davis’ drops on this message board, so relax.  Im not the guy who comes here after a win and demands everyone be fired bc it wasn’t by 30pts (not saying you do). 

Fair point, and I didn’t mean to be singling you out as one of the tar and pitchforks crowd.  I should have written to be clear I was speaking more generally there.

It’s true that Davis is nearer the top of the league in “drops” than we’d like our #2 receiver to be, and some of them would have been game-impactful plays.  I’ve pointed this out before.  There have also been balls that aren’t scored drops and were contested, but that we’d really like to have someone besides Diggs who can reliably catch.   But it’s also true that he’s made some difficult contested catches that swung the game for the Bills.

IMO, it’s also true that Josh Allen has been doing Davis no favors.  He routinely throws to him in close coverage and sometimes off target.  

Anyway, I think we can both agree that Davis needs to up his hands game and his route game.  But he seems like a fierce competitor who cares about his craft, so let’s hope he will.

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

That’s just nasty, IMHO.  FWIW, Diggs has the same number of scored drops as Davis (on more targets, of course) and a number of “damn, can’t believe he didn’t get that one” catches.

Just as you can make any player look marvelous if you put together a highlight film, you can make any player look terrible if you put together a lowlight film.

You could also put together a highlight film of Davis and say if he drops a couple of those we have 5 losses.

Look, Davis has had his struggles and he needs to “be the man he can be” and step up his game, but I hate this “let’s flog the whipping boy” approach.

20 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Im not flogging anyone. Hes near the top of the league in drops and some of those drops were ugly. This is may be the first time I’ve commented on Davis’ drops on this message board, so relax.  Im not the guy who comes here after a win and demands everyone be fired bc it wasn’t by 30pts (not saying you do). 

Gabe Davis has 35 receptions vs. 67 targets (52%).  When Dawson Knox was catching half of his targets, he was getting lamb basted on this board, and rightfully so.

For perspective, McKittrick also has 35 receptions .... vs. 50 targets.

And inserting Diggs into a Davis conversation is kind of silly.  He has 91 receptions vs. 128 targets (71%).  They don't belong in the same conversation.

I am a big Gabe Davis fan, but he has been a disappointment this season.  Yes ... he's on pace to get close to 1000 receiving yards this season and he's made some great catches.  But some of his drops have been horrible.  Drive killers.  Imminent touchdowns.  He just needs to be more reliable.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, What a Tuel said:

He is lower on the # of targets than a lot of the other #2 WRs. I think if he got the drops together, Josh may target him more. He does need to get more separation too though.

Of course … it’s clear to me it’s a concentration thing with his drops 

he needs to get more consistent with getting separation physically because he has physical skills other WRs don’t… he’ll never be diggs with routes 

he needs to win physically at the line line moulds or dez 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Gabe Davis has 35 receptions vs. 67 targets (52%).  When Dawson Knox was catching half of his targets, he was getting lamb basted on this board, and rightfully so.

You’re quite correct on Davis having a low catch %.

I thought the concern with Knox, was less the overall target % than the drops.  That’s my concern with Davis, anyway - not so much the overall catch % when targeted, but his scored drops, and his failure to haul in some balls that are difficult enough they aren’t drops, but the #1 or 2 WR on a team really should make.

As far as his overall catch % I was watching film on a couple games, and frankly, Josh Allen does him no favors.  He’s been locking on to Davis as a target and if he can’t make the throw, he throws it away - at best.  At worst, he tries to force it in there, resulting in the route being jumped and a pick.

But yes, even if we grant him a pass on his overall catch % Davis doesn’t make catches he could and should.

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

And inserting Diggs into a Davis conversation is kind of silly. 

My intended point, which I’m sure I could have made more clearly, is that if I wanted to put together a film clip of 14 bad plays by Diggs, I could - because as good as he is as a WR, he has had as many scored drops as Davis at this point, and some of them are balls that you look at and say “Damn, you gotta catch that!”.  I acknowledged that Diggs does have more targets (and an overall higher catch % of course) so his “good plays” tape would be longer.

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

You’re quite correct on Davis having a low catch %.

I thought the concern with Knox, was less the overall target % than the drops.  That’s my concern with Davis, anyway - not so much the overall catch % when targeted, but his scored drops, and his failure to haul in some balls that are difficult enough they aren’t drops, but the #1 or 2 WR on a team really should make.

As far as his overall catch % I was watching film on a couple games, and frankly, Josh Allen does him no favors.  He’s been locking on to Davis as a target and if he can’t make the throw, he throws it away - at best.  At worst, he tries to force it in there, resulting in the route being jumped and a pick.

But yes, even if we grant him a pass on his overall catch % Davis doesn’t make catches he could and should.

My intended point, which I’m sure I could have made more clearly, is that if I wanted to put together a film clip of 14 bad plays by Diggs, I could - because as good as he is as a WR, he has had as many scored drops as Davis at this point, and some of them are balls that you look at and say “Damn, you gotta catch that!”.  I acknowledged that Diggs does have more targets (and an overall higher catch % of course) so his “good plays” tape would be longer.

My Knox reference was to his first two seasons when he was actually getting targets and not catching them.  Now he's catching every pass thrown his way, but they are few and far between ... which I trust will change.

Re: Diggs ... gotcha.  And yes ... Diggs has had some drops that have made me say bad words this season.

• Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My Knox reference was to his first two seasons when he was actually getting targets and not catching them.  Now he's catching every pass thrown his way, but they are few and far between ... which I trust will change.

Re: Diggs ... gotcha.  And yes ... Diggs has had some drops that have made me say bad words this season.

You’re up late. Get some sleep old man 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Understood, that’s what I meant…it wasn’t just Knox bad catch % that was concerning, though, it was his # of drops.  To his credit, he faced it and put a lot of work into an eye coordination training program and seems to have improved.

I hope you’re right it will change.  Knox is open a lot, with (as I said in another thread) often enough green around him to plant a Christmas tree farm and trim the trees on the way to the first down marker.  But this year, he’s being used a lot to chip and release, or as the outlet.

The reason that’s probably relevant to bring in here, is that when Josh is not looking at Knox and his prospective Christmas Tree Farm, sometimes he’s fixed on Gabe Davis and forces a ball to Davis which would be a total circus catch (if not a hospital ball) if caught, or which is jumped and picked, or just thrown away in Gabe’s direction.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

He’s so good, and he’s the only WR currently on the team who has shown the ability to make those “Damn!  OK!!!!” Catches.  

But he’s 8th for # drops on the listing where Gabe is #3 (of course, as a %, Diggs is lower).

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Interesting that the 2 "recruiters" are defensive players

Where is dak, Zeke or lamb? 

If those guys aren't around for the recruiting then ny opinion it's either a done deal with Dallas and not wasting those guys time or Dallas is the team being used to up the price tag and were never an actual contender to sign obj 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

At least 3 in the last two games by my recollection; definitely 2 in Detroit on Thanksgiving (was there), and I seem to recall a frustrating drop against New England Thursday night. I'm sure there's a site logging weekly drops, but I couldn't find it in the 3 minutes I set aside for such frivolity. 

Diggs is good enough, and shares a passionate enough love with his QB, that he'll be given critical opportunities to redeem himself each week after early drops (I recall them as early-ish drops the last two weeks). 

Where's the best site for such granular game stats?

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The entire video had 14 throws… And not all of them were easy catches

Does he need to get his hands together, yea… But the caption of the video would make you think there’s 40 throws being dropped

Agreed.  

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

Feel free to find 3 straight minutes of Diggs drops from this year. You can’t.

Meanwhile…. Diggs and Davis are tied for the league lead in drops with 6.  

7 hours ago, bobobonators said:

That was ugly to watch. You could say if he makes 2 catches on that video we only have 1 loss this season. 

And if he makes any 2 catches he is at his average catch % since he's been here. Not sure why people expected a 70+% catch rate when he's had an average around 55%. Should he be better? Absolutely. But sometimes expectations are unrealistic. Maybe he needs some ping pong balls. 😁

Edited by LyndonvilleBill

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

That’s just nasty, IMHO.  FWIW, Diggs has the same number of scored drops as Davis (on more targets, of course) and a number of “damn, can’t believe he didn’t get that one” catches.

Just as you can make any player look marvelous if you put together a highlight film, you can make any player look terrible if you put together a lowlight film.

You could also put together a highlight film of Davis and say if he drops a couple of those we have 5 losses.

Look, Davis has had his struggles and he needs to “be the man he can be” and step up his game, but I hate this “let’s flog the whipping boy” approach.

Whats the target differential between the two and drop %? 

9 hours ago, bobobonators said:

I get OBJ is a good player. But this dog and pony show is getting kinda ridiculous. He’s not Jefferson. Or Diggs. Or Chase. Or Tyreek. Hes a good WR when fully healthy but some teams are courting him like he’ll completely change a game by himself. 2016 OBJ could. That was 6 yrs ago. Might as well be 60 yrs in nfl yrs

You and I basically thought the same thing at the same time. 

Were you also drinking Blue Light and switching your TV back and forth between MNF and Deadliest Catch?  If so...whoa.

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  

Meanwhile…. Diggs and Davis are tied for the league lead in drops with 6.  

Yeah, but not at a fair comparison, % of drops would be they to look at it. Diggs has a multiple more passes thrown his way than probably almost any other reciever I'm the league.

18 minutes ago, eball said:

It ain’t happening, folks.  The Bills will dance with who brung ‘em.

That is fine by me. 9-3 best record in the AFC. For the money and term, he is looking for I would rather Beane improve the WR position in the draft/FA this offseason.

• Like (+1) 2

chants for obj in Dallas.... too bad because he would have gotten that here as well had we gotten any news while he was here. he would be a nice add but only if he can actually play this year...   Lot's of WR in the draft.   (After 0-linemen PLEASE) 

Edited by gordong
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Einstein said:

Feel free to find 3 straight minutes of Diggs drops from this year. You can’t.

53 minutes ago, foreboding said:

Yeah, but not at a fair comparison, % of drops would be they to look at it. Diggs has a multiple more passes thrown his way than probably almost any other reciever I'm the league.

Sorry @foreboding, but my comparison is 💯 fair.  Look at the post I was replying to.  Context is everything. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.