All your juicy Odell Beckham gossip

Simon

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

zero interest in any type of "next year" or long term deal. 

THIS YEAR is what this would be about. We can draft or sign someone else for next season. If he can't play this year then good luck somewhere else.

this guy made it a handful of games and re-tore the same ACL. 

Inclined to agree. Would rather draft a 1st round WR. 

• Like (+1) 1

I falsely assumed that IF the Bills were to make such a signing it would be for this years playoffs run. If he wouldnt be playing until next year I would not be as inclined to want to sign him.

This decision I will file in "In Beane I trust" file. Their long range plans may or may not include a guy like OBJ. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

The only person I would worry about "offending" per se, would be Poyer, as an OBJ deal for next year pretty much slams the door shut (it would seem) on him being here next year.  

I tend to think Poyer already knows that, especially with us paying him a little extra this season to show him our appreciation, but that's the one... Not a huge worry, but if OBJ isn't helping us win THIS YEAR, I could see Poyer feeling slighted given he's giving this team his all this year, for that sole purpose.. to win a Super Bowl.

Tre Edmunds is also playing out his 5th year option....  A player never likes to be playing in the final year of his deal.  He's a popular whipping boy here, but IMO the Bills defense is much stronger when both Milano and Edmunds are playing, and Edmunds has been battling injuries to stay out there.  Jordan Phillips also on a 1 yr deal. 

You may be correct, but IMHO when you have guys who are battling through ankle injuries, concussions, etc to get and stay on the field like Davis, Kumerow, McKenzie; Crowder said to be fighting to come back this season from a broken leg, Stevenson from a broken foot - I think everybody wants that Superbowl trophy and would be "all in" with adding a true receiving talent who could play in a couple weeks, make the remaining games Ws, earn us home field, and help us hoist a Lombardi.

But if, instead, we're adding a guy who takes up a roster spot and $$ but can't play yet; who draws a lot of media attention; and who puts the team through the Tre White "will he play this week or won't he?" wringer - AND who impacts the chances of a long term deal for players who are out there playing their asses off - I dunno, I'm not sure it sounds like great "locker room chemistry".

39 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

especially since there seem to be so many great young rookie WR every year. 

I would rather draft a guy with fresh, untorn ACLs who would be 1/3 the price and zero baggage 

And flipping this slightly - Beane "talks the talk" about needing to get strong contributions out of "cheap labor" meaning drafted players and lower-tier FA.  IMHO he has under-invested in quality draft picks on offense.

My concern would be, if he goes for another higher-priced vet like OBJ on a long-term deal, added to Diggs, we'll be over-invested in aging vets, and it might keep Beane from making the investment I feel we need in the trenches and at WR.  He'd probably draft a safety or an LB in the 1st round instead.

Any concerns about Poyer breaking down and fighting injuries to stay on the field, should apply double or triple to OBJ.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

And flipping this slightly - Beane "talks the talk" about needing to get strong contributions out of "cheap labor" meaning drafted players and lower-tier FA.  IMHO he has under-invested in quality draft picks on offense.

My concern would be, if he goes for another higher-priced vet like OBJ added to Diggs, we'll be over-invested in aging stars, and it might keep Beane from making the investment I feel we need in the trenches and at WR.

good OL are so rare because the $$ for big sloppies is at DT or DE

Ironically, that makes great OL hugely expensive. It's a paradox! 

But if you're an athletic 300+ pound man, the $$ (and also the glory/ star power) is at DL positions

Edited by TheFunPolice

1 minute ago, wppete said:

I thought OBJ would cost somewhere between $5-$6 million for the remainder of the season but how can he Be serous about asking for $20million? Is this  true? If so no thanks! 

that's literally insane for a guy who blew the same ACL twice in 2 years and isn't getting any younger. That's a big no thank you. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, wppete said:

I thought OBJ would cost somewhere between $5-$6 million for the remainder of the season but how can he Be serous about asking for $20million? Is this  true? If so no thanks! 

Welllll....we have 5 games left. $5M, or  $1M/game, is $18M over a 17 game, 1 bye season.  Toss in a couple million of incentives and you're there.

• Haha (+1) 1

Brandon Beane is bold.  But he isn't reckless.

I can't see him getting into a bidding war for OBJ's services, considering that a long-term deal would probably cost us another valuable (current) player.  Especially if Beane isn't VERY confident in his ability to produce this year.  And how can he be confident in OBJ's physical ability, if he isn't working out for teams?

This season, we saw what life is like without Jordan Poyer.  We saw what life is like without Tremaine Edmunds.  Both are becoming must-signs.  Then we have Ed Oliver reaching his 5th-Year-Option.  His primary backup Jordan Phillips is also a free agent.  Not to mention valuable pieces like Devin Singletary, Shaq Lawson, Rodger Saffold, Dane Jackson, etc. 

I think we would all sadly trade one of these guys, if we knew it greatly increased our chances at winning the Super Bowl in February.  But if the choice is between keeping Poyer/Edmunds/Oliver or having OBJ for NEXT year, then I'm re-signing our current talent.

• Agree 4

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

The only person I would worry about "offending" per se, would be Poyer, as an OBJ deal for next year pretty much slams the door shut (it would seem) on him being here next year.  

I tend to think Poyer already knows that, especially with us paying him a little extra this season to show him our appreciation, but that's the one... Not a huge worry, but if OBJ isn't helping us win THIS YEAR, I could see Poyer feeling slighted given he's giving this team his all this year, for that sole purpose.. to win a Super Bowl. 

what if he already feels that way with Knox

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

So I think the Buffalo News reporters are still held closer to the AP standard for sources and verification than the Athletic guys or the "NFL insiders".  If a TBN guy says "multiple sources" say he's not working out for the teams he's visiting, it may be true.

I mean, perhaps, but whether he planned to work out for teams could, in theory, be unknown until after he had visited the Giants and then the Bills and reporters found sources to ask "did he work out for your team?" who said "no".

I guess the idea would be, we acquire a great WR for next year.  But for the Bills, I think signing a contract with a guy who can't for-real and for-sure contribute not only this season, but very soon, would be a huge risk to the mental cohesion of the locker room.  It could be sending a message to home-grown talent like Edmunds and Oliver that the Bills talk the talk about draft, develop, re-sign but they might not be walking the walk for you.  It would send a message to the guys who've been busting their humps to help the Bills to 8-3, "you're a Domestique to us.  Throw everything you've got in to every game, play your heart out, then maybe we'll shelve you for the Dance".

I fall into the camp who believes that the Bills are, in fact, thin in talent at receiver.  But color me skeptical about the risk/reward of bringing in OBJ if he can't play right now.

Bills had a game vs the Pats on Thursday. They win that game making them 9-3. Other than that I agree with everything you said.

At this point this is nothing more than a dog and pony show. Let him go to Dallas. No way the Bills should pay big money or given him a multi-year deal. With all the injuries he has had I would rather have Beane upgrade the WR position this coming offseason.

• Agree 1

At this point he's not coming, and is just using us to jack up the price for Dallas.  Dallas has already made it clear they will give him anything he wants, whereas Beane would only be willing to offer something reasonable.  I wanted him here for awhile now, but this whole circus has soured me on the idea.  He's playing the teams off one another for hype and attention and is going to go to the team that throws money at him like he was a stripper.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Didn’t the Cowboys just unload Cooper because the my could not afford two expensive receivers. 

That was a reason given, but since then it sounds like Cooper wouldn’t get vaxxed and Jerry Jones shipped him out over it. 

• Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

It's like going to check out a high performance car, but you are told: 'You can't drive it', ..'but here is what it is going to cost'.

I didn't see any mention of OBJ on the Bills Website, or Twitter.

That speaks volumes..

Not going to lie .. that almost makes me think we may end up signing him, given the secrecy in which Beane moves. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.