Running Backs Being a Dime a Dozen ??

T master

54 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Maybe it is just high time to say............

"With a QB like Josh Allen, you really don't need a running game"

But when Josh IS the running game, that's not a great thing.

I, personally, am not saying our RBs are bad. But the run blocking is not helping things. Sure, sometimes they get a good play. Other times, the RBs have to make their own play, or are lucky to get to the line of scrimmage, if not get tackled for a loss.

Last year bills fans were clamoring over different RB's

This year it's a different set of RB's and the ones from last year are nowhere to be heard from

Colts RB's avg 3.6 ypc with their OL shuffling this year

Cinci RB's avg 3.3 poor OL play

Rams RB's avg 3.2 again OL

TB RB's avg 3.1  OL

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The single biggest reason the Bills don't run the ball more effectively is because Josh Allen prefers to play out of the shotgun.    

So the people who are constantly complaining about the running game should blame Josh and demand he changes or shut up.

I wouldn't mind them doing more of that..........I am not a big fan of spread offense football........but that's not what Allen is right now.........he's not as comfortable under center and turning his back to the defense for traditional play action.    

Nobody just pushes another team off the ball all game,   there has to be legitimate uncertainty in the mind of the defense and enough time between the snap to get them to commit.   You don't get that out of the gun.    For a while RPO's gave teams that but they aren't as effective any longer.   

Yea I don’t ever see LB commit to the run win Allen dose those RPO , he snaps the ball and everyone drops in coverage lol. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

I mean duh...

YPC is a vanity metric. In isolation over a 5 game span it tells you nothing besides how many yards per carry you're getting with a player. It doesn't tell yout he how or why, which is far more useful in being able to predict the stats of other players or the same players with different inputs.

I'm not trading for McCaffery to get 1-2 more YPC. I'm trading for him hoping that I can increase the explosive plays that I generate from my offense. We already do well there overall, but we aren't very good at it from the RB position, especially early in games. If we could rely on a RB to spur our breakout instead of having to rely on Allen, it would be another dimension to our offense that also mitigates our risk when Allen isn't having a 5 star day.

OK - so 

Devin Singletary over 50 games - 4.7 YPC

CMC over 63 games - 4.6 YPC

It is not just over a small sample size the comparison holds for well over 4 years.

Explosion - I get it, but Devin has had the longer run in 2 out of his 4 years  and the same with receiving 2 out of his 4 years - Singletary has the longer reception for the year. 

CMC does have a 1.2 yard per reception advantage for his career over 8 to nearly 7 for Devin.

Devin has also been significantly healthier and costs significantly less long term - although there may be savings for the rest of this year.

My overall point is just that whether a trade happens or not - the RB in a Buffalo offense makes very little difference.  They get very limited touches running the ball and limited passes to catch - Make the change, but expect little real overall impact.  

Maybe CMC could change that but he also has a history of injury that would suggest you get less than 1/2 a season before he can no longer perform to that level.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Josh Allen is arguably the greatest threat in the NFL. Why are we so focused on getting a really good, premier RB? So he can rush the ball 8-10x/game?

Does anyone here really want to see a RB take the ball away from Allen and have him rush the ball 25x/game? Allen and this passing game can score a TD from any point on the field at any moment - regardless of down or distance. Its beautiful to watch. Its unprecedented for Bills fans. Relish in it. 

Our franchise focus needs to be, above all, protecting Allen with a premier OL and continue giving him passing weapons. I never want to see what happened to Rodgers in GB happen to Allen where he’s throwing to a bunch of scrubs for far too long.

We have more than serviceable RB’s. We need to upgrade at OL and we need to improve at running the ball in short yardage. 

1. Protect Allen

2. provide him weapons in the pass game

3. running game just needs to be situationally functional. 

Wasting draft picks on a RB before the first two priorities are addressed every year would be criminal w Allen at QB. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Singletary, Moss and Cook average about 4.7 yards a carry this year on 77 attempts. There's 11 different RBs that have 77 carries or more. Of those 11 Henry(3.9), Mixon(3.1) & Elliott(3.8) average sub 4.0 a carry, yet they keep feeding them the ball. This is a choice, it's what both Daboll & Dorsey have elected to do with our offensive play calling. We're not running because we can't, we're not running because our QB is the most dangerous player in the game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Singletary, Moss and Cook average about 4.7 yards a carry this year on 77 attempts. There's 11 different RBs that have 77 carries or more. Of those 11 Henry(3.9), Mixon(3.1) & Elliott(3.8) average sub 4.0 a carry, yet they keep feeding them the ball. This is a choice, it's what both Daboll & Dorsey have elected to do with our offensive play calling. We're not running because we can't, we're not running because our QB is the most dangerous player in the game.

<slow clap>

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jackalope89 said:

But when Josh IS the running game, that's not a great thing.

I, personally, am not saying our RBs are bad. But the run blocking is not helping things. Sure, sometimes they get a good play. Other times, the RBs have to make their own play, or are lucky to get to the line of scrimmage, if not get tackled for a loss.

So you too would like better run blocking , as compared to . a feature back ?
Then we certainly agree

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

Josh Allen is arguably the greatest threat in the NFL. Why are we so focused on getting a really good, premier RB? So he can rush the ball 8-10x/game?

Does anyone here really want to see a RB take the ball away from Allen and have him rush the ball 25x/game? Allen and this passing game can score a TD from any point on the field at any moment - regardless of down or distance. Its beautiful to watch. Its unprecedented for Bills fans. Relish in it. 

Our franchise focus needs to be, above all, protecting Allen with a premier OL and continue giving him passing weapons. I never want to see what happened to Rodgers in GB happen to Allen where he’s throwing to a bunch of scrubs for far too long.

We have more than serviceable RB’s. We need to upgrade at OL and we need to improve at running the ball in short yardage. 

1. Protect Allen

2. provide him weapons in the pass game

3. running game just needs to be situationally functional. 

Wasting draft picks on a RB before the first two priorities are addressed every year would be criminal w Allen at QB. 

Good post, spot on. Surround josh with good protection and targets and he'll take you to the promised land.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Airseven said:

RBs are not a dime-a-dozen, and Bills absolutely must figure out the run game/OL in order to execute in the playoffs. Go-patterns and blow-outs are fun in the regular season, but the team still has that soft underbelly. 

It should also be said the Bills RBs, specifically, are a dime-a-dozen which is part of the problem.   

Couldn't have said it better.

JA is a QB dual dynamo threat, probably the best ever. He is the Bills best runner, probably for awhile.

It’s not a bad thing…..provided of course, he stays healthy.

If he continues as such another couple seasons and he is teetering towards greatest Bills player ever.

20 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

So Breece Hall had 18 for 97 - pretty much exactly what Moss and Cook have done- both are at 5.3 YPC.

So what exactly is your point.  The difference is Hall, Pierce, Jacobs all get significantly more carries per game.  

I can imagine any of them on the Bills, but can you picture Jacobs or Hall after getting 10 carries a game.  I do not want to take the ball out of Josh’s hand for 20+ runs a game - Josh averages passing is double what Jacobs averages on the ground and his great running has made his team an incredible 1-4.  

They would not get the volume here to make a difference to the offense.  They make a difference in an offense that has a mediocre QB and you are covering for him.  

I just watched a thing on Rumblings that said the Bills didn't have the ball for as much time as the Steelers did & i seem to remember a SB game that the Bills lost 20-19 back in the day and because of a really good defense they were playing they lost the crux of my post to all that say don't take the ball out of Joshes hands is we must improve the run game .

The backs we have don't scare defensive coordinator maybe one day Cook will ? Motor is a i think really good back but needs carries to get into a rhythm like they use to & Moss isn't in any way the banger they thought he was in college or the complimentary back to Motor IMHO the complimentary back needs to be bigger .

Let's say 6' 230 lbs or somewhere in there . I love it as much as any one that Josh is playing the way that he does but what team that lives and dies by their passing game has been a repeated SB champion ? The last one i remember was St. Louis Rams the greatest show on turf & they only won 1 SB correct ?

This team just like the team in the 90's can seemingly score at will but if you watch the Scarey movie video on Rumblings it tells how long it took the Bills to score each drive .

1st - TD 1:04 

2nd - TD :10 

3rd - TD :33 

4th - TD 2:37 

5th - TD :57 

Total TOP - 6:07 

The Steelers had the ball 12:00 longer than the Bills in total so what happens that entire time the Bills offense isn't on the field our D is and just like back in the 90's if the Bills cannot sustain a drive by adding in a above average running game to give the D a blow they are going to wear out & if that is a t a crucial time say like in the SB then it's SB 25 all over again .

Then there are those saying our O line sucks well in some articles i have read they are praising the O lines ability to keep a clean pocket giving Josh enough time to deliver a good ball so who's right does the O line suck or is it good ?

Motor can bust off a run like he did & he proved last year that he can be a good back if given a chance & in a game like this last one when they are up by a 38 to 3 margin then why not get the reps in the run game don't wait until it's to late games are different than practice putting it on the field at game speed is a need .

If the run game isn't utilized or at the very least used to get some reps now you can bet there will be a huge number of the Bills Mafia here that are known for B**ching about McD's coaching that will be doing so if the team needed at a crucial juncture in a game to control the clock with the run game & couldn't.

The Bills run game id more than what the "Experts" here think that is that it's just the O line 2 of the backs need to be better when given a chance Moss in particular sure he has a decent average but he gets that from 1 big run per game Cook looked better last week & he's a rookie so it may take a bit for him to feel comfortable in the scheme .

But if we don't have a good running game i don't think we will have a SB win come to Buffalo no matter how much we want it and the possibility of another disappointment with out a running game is more prevalent than it would be if they had one . It would be really nice if they had a back that we knew was good for say 100 ypg if needed .

OK i'm done ranting sorry ... GO BILLS !!! 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

If RBs are a dime a dozen how come this top flight offense can't find one with two 3rd rounders and a 2nd rounder?

Identifying RBs is a major weakness of this front office. As amazing they are with the secondary, they are equally awful at RB. It's okay, every front office has weaknesses.  NE can't draft WR, we can't draft RB.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/11/2022 at 2:48 PM, Billz4ever said:

We have the worst run block win % in the entire league (65%).  The RBs aren't the problem.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34536376/2022-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings-top-players-teams#rbwrteam

The New York Giants ar #26 at 69%.

Saquon Barkley is #2 in the NFL with 533 Yards Rushing and 5.5 YPC.

#1 Rusher in the NFL, Nick Chubb, has 593 yards and 6.1 YPC with the #17 line. 

#5 rusher Dameon Pierce has 412 yards (2 behind #4) and 4.8 YPC and is a rookie with the #31 line.

Meanwhile the #1 line in the league with James Connor rushing has only 200 yards and 3.7 YPC.

This only illustrates the importance of the skill of your RB, skilled RB with an NFL line will be productive. And if you don't have skill at RB you aren't going to produce.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.