PS elevations and signings

Beck Water

I thought it might be helpful to summarize the Bills PS elevations to date, there's talk about this in another thread.  I hope this helps, because it was a PITA to put togther.

Rules as I understand 'em:

1) PS player can be elevated to a 55 man gameday active roster for a game without being officially signed to the 53 man roster.  2 players per week.  Each player gets  3 promotions.  They revert to the PS automatically after the game without going through waivers

2) PS player can also be SIGNED to the 53 man roster.  If it's our PS, it can be just for a game, but they have to clear waivers (if applicable) before they're re-signed to the PS.  And of course, we have to clear a spot on the 53 man roster

3) PS players are FA and can be signed to another team's roster at any time.  But, they have to be carried on the other team's payroll for 3 games.

TL;DR 

elevated: = brought up from PS for 1 game, right back afterwards.  Team gets 2 per week.  Player gets 3 per season.

signed: get a contract, need to have an open spot on 53 man roster, clear waivers if released.

Week 1:  No elevations.  No signings

Week 2: DT Brandin Bryant (1), DT CJ Brewer elevated (1).  No signings.

Week 3: OL Greg Mancz (1), DB Ja'marcus Ingram (1) elevated.  DT Brandin Bryant, DT Prince Emili signed to the 53 man roster.  S Micah Hyde to IR.  Bobby Hart suspended.

(after game: DT Prince Emili cut from 53 man roster, signed to PS.  OL Bobby Hart activated. OL Tommy Doyle to IR, OL Justin Murray signed to 53 man.  Xavier Rhodes to PS.)

Week 4: DT Prince Emili (1) elevated.  No signings from PS to 53 man.

(after game: DT Justin Zimmer and DB Jordan Miller signed to PS.  DT CJ Brewer (1) and DT Prince Emili released from PS

Week 5: WR Tanner Gentry (1) and LB Giles-Harris (1) elevated.  WR Isaiah Hodgins and DB Ja'marcus Ingram signed to the 53 man roster.  WR Jamison Crowder to IR.  DT Brandin Bryant cut. (during week: DT Brandin Bryant signed to 53 man roster, Ja'Marcus Ingram cut; S Jared Mayden signed to PS.  Ingram re-signed to Practice Squad)

Week 6: No elevations.  No signings.

Sources: Twitter Buffalo Bills PR; Buffalo Bills transactions.  (note that sometimes the two disagree)

So far, no one has come near to their 3 PS elevations as far as I can tell. 

The Bills like to go into game day with certain numbers at different positions active: 8 or 9 DB active; 8 or 9 DL active; 6 LB active; 5 WR active; 2 TE active; 4 RB + 1 FB active

IMO the signings and elevations have more to do with a numbers game at different positions as we deal with injuries.  AS you can see, the Bills use 53 man roster spots if they need to elevate more than 2 players to meet their number games, and those guys get cut and in many cases re-sign to our PS and go through the cycle again.

I pay attention because I think they are sometimes clues to what's going on with injuries.  For example, cutting Ingram may indicate that at least Poyer and possibly Benford will be able to be active this week.  Re-signing Bryant may mean that Phillips re-injured his hammy and is going to be questionable or could even go to IR, and the Bills want to be sure they have the hosses on the interior to keep Mahomes contained.

I can't imagine the stress for these guys at the bottom of the roster, sure they're making good $$ even on the PS by ordinary people's standards, but they have to be mentally tough to deal with the uncertainty and turmoil.  IIRC the Bills are one of the more humane teams and rent apartments near the stadium where they make rooms available to their PS guys and lower-tier 53-man roster, and probably if a guy gets cut from the PS with the promise "we'll resign you in a couple weeks" they let them stay on. 

There are stories about PS players from other teams sleeping in their cars because they don't have the stability to sign a lease and they can't afford temp housing in that market. 

Edited by Beck Water
edit for week 6
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 10

53 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I thought it might be helpful to summarize the Bills PS elevations to date, there's talk about this in another thread.  I hope this helps, because it was a PITA to put togther.

Rules as I understand 'em:

1) PS player can be elevated to a 55 man gameday active roster for a game without being officially signed to the 53 man roster.  2 players per week.  Each player gets  3 promotions.  They revert to the PS automatically after the game without going through waivers

2) PS player can also be SIGNED to the 53 man roster.  If it's our PS, it can be just for a game, but they have to clear waivers (if applicable) before they're re-signed to the PS.  And of course, we have to clear a spot on the 53 man roster

3) PS players are FA and can be signed to another team's roster at any time.  But, they have to be carried on the other team's payroll for 3 games.

TL;DR 

elevated: = brought up from PS for 1 game, right back afterwards.  Team gets 2 per week.  Player gets 3 per season.

signed: get a contract, need to have an open spot on 53 man roster, clear waivers if released.

Week 1:  No elevations.  No signings

Week 2: DT Brandin Bryant (1), DT CJ Brewer elevated (1).  No signings.

Week 3: OL Greg Mancz (1), DB Ja'marcus Ingram (1) elevated.  DT Brandin Bryant, DT Prince Emili signed to the 53 man roster.  S Micah Hyde to IR.  Bobby Hart suspended.

(after game: DT Prince Emili cut from 53 man roster, signed to PS.  OL Bobby Hart activated. OL Tommy Doyle to IR, OL Justin Murray signed to 53 man.  Xavier Rhodes to PS.)

Week 4: DT CJ Brewer (2) elevated.  No signings from PS to 53 man.  (Buf Bills PR Twitter says Bryant was elevated, but nothing about him being cut.  He's on roster)

(after game: DT Justin Zimmer and DB Jordan Miller signed to PS.  DT CJ Brewer (2) and DT Prince Emili (2) released

Week 5: WR Tanner Gentry (1) and LB Giles-Harris (1) elevated.  WR Isaiah Hodgins and DB Ja'marcus Ingram signed to the 53 man roster.  WR Jamison Crowder to IR.  DT Brandin Bryant cut.

(after game: DT Brandin Bryant signed to 53 man roster, Ja'Marcus Ingram cut; S Jared Mayden signed to PS)

Sources: Twitter Buffalo Bills PR; Buffalo Bills transactions.  (note that sometimes the two disagree)

So far, no one has come near to their 3 PS elevations as far as I can tell. 

The Bills like to go into game day with certain numbers at different positions active: 8 or 9 DB active; 8 or 9 DL active; 6 LB active; 5 WR active; 2 TE active; 4 RB + 1 FB active

IMO the signings and elevations have more to do with a numbers game at different positions as we deal with injuries.  AS you can see, the Bills use 53 man roster spots if they need to elevate more than 2 players to meet their number games, and those guys get cut and in many cases re-sign to our PS and go through the cycle again.

I pay attention because I think they are sometimes clues to what's going on with injuries.  For example, cutting Ingram may indicate that at least Poyer and possibly Benford will be able to be active this week.  Re-signing Bryant may mean that Phillips re-injured his hammy and is going to be questionable or could even go to IR, and the Bills want to be sure they have the hosses on the interior to keep Mahomes contained.

I can't imagine the stress for these guys at the bottom of the roster, sure they're making good $$ even on the PS by ordinary people's standards, but they have to be mentally tough to deal with the uncertainty and turmoil.  IIRC the Bills are one of the more humane teams and rent apartments near the stadium where they make rooms available to their PS guys and lower-tier 53-man roster, and probably if a guy gets cut from the PS with the promise "we'll resign you in a couple weeks" they let them stay on. 

There are stories about PS players from other teams sleeping in their cars because they don't have the stability to sign a lease and they can't afford temp housing in that market. 

At 10 to 15 grand a week, these practice squad guys don't need to sleep in their cars.

• Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

IIRC the Bills are one of the more humane teams and rent apartments near the stadium where they make rooms available to their PS guys and lower-tier 53-man roster, and probably if a guy gets cut from the PS with the promise "we'll resign you in a couple weeks" they let them stay on.

Do you remember where you saw/heard this? Curious to hear more… 

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

it's been talked about here before. people here in the same apartments/condos as bills players and there would be 2 or 3 in the same complex.

it seemed like they had a few different locations, and they did not put all the players together in one place.

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

One thing some of us have been talking about is about the 3-game pay rule.

Does this apply to PS players being signed to the 53 from the same team?

I thought it did.

If it doesn't, I can see why Beane is risking the waiver rule for players he has signed for only one game.

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

why not just get you a chick with a house who wants little from you, they’re just happy to say they’re with an nfl player.

I was in relations with a girl who dated former Bill Rashad Baker and he would come stay there some nights of the week cause he didn’t have his own place. She would text me “RB” as the signal not to call her till I get the all clear. He would pay her a couple hundred a month toward her rent.

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

Yep.

We need an a reaction with a different finger-up option.  Just fer you.

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

This is a GREAT thread to keep running totals each week.  Fantastic idea @Beck Water

IMO, this should be pinned to the top of the forum.

Thanks!

PM Simon or report it with that suggestion.  It's not the sort of thread that'll get the replies to keep it at the top.

They pin it before/after the games, I'll do my best to update

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

One thing some of us have been talking about is about the 3-game pay rule.

Does this apply to PS players being signed to the 53 from the same team?

I thought it did.

If it doesn't, I can see why Beane is risking the waiver rule for players he has signed for only one game.

That's a very good question.  I don't think it does apply to the team whose practice squad it is. But I haven't been able to find something stating as much.

3 hours ago, StHustle said:

why not just get you a chick with a house who wants little from you, they’re just happy to say they’re with an nfl player.

I can think of at least 5 reasons not off the top of my head, so I'll stay out of the player's personal life

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Good question.  It was an interview with one of the former PS guys who is now on the roster, but I don't remember who or where.

I'll look around.  I think it was a feature piece done by a Ty Dunne type.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

We need an a reaction with a different finger-up option.  Just fer you.

Thanks!

PM Simon or report it with that suggestion.  It's not the sort of thread that'll get the replies to keep it at the top.

The middle finger was classy.  When you were a mod, that would've gotten me one of your ridiculous "Hapless Warnings."

And did you just ask someone to use the report function to suggest pinning your thread??  

You are so stinkin' cute.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Best thread of the week. Really appreciate the effort and it seems to be one worth updating as we go (if that isn't too big of a burden!)

Thanks, and it wouldn't be a problem to update if I can find it each week.

Edited by Beck Water

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The middle finger was classy.  When you were a mod, that would've gotten me one of your ridiculous "Hapless Warnings."

And did you just ask someone to use the report function to suggest pinning your thread??  

Hang on, Beck Water is Hapless? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, StHustle said:

I mean living in your car tho????

The article I saw where a guy said he did that was on the Seattle practice squad, so....

I can't see players in Green Bay or Buffalo or Cleveland  needing to do that, but the expensive housing areas like LA, SF, Seattle, NE, NJ I mean NYC....yeah, I can see it.

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Hapless Bills Fan still shows as a moderator.  Took two seconds of a search function to find that out

image.thumb.png.cce06dda29b0e8c2fbcfeb64c39d3716.png

Edited by Beck Water
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.