Christian McCaffrey rumors

Steel City Mafia

1 minute ago, H2o said:

The thought of Moss being our lead back makes me want to vomit

The vomit emoji was created for that thought.

1 minute ago, Pabstblueribbon said:

Lol yeah, it's definitely not Ideal but with the injury history it's a way we can still "make it by" in the future without spending additional capital to plan for the event that cmc misses games. 

Not ideal?  It leaves us in a worse position than we are now and in salary cap hell.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

The vomit emoji was created for that thought.

Not ideal?  It leaves us in a worse position than we are now and in salary cap hell.

It's the gamble every potential trade partner will weigh. There's no disagreement that I would rather keep motor and unload Moss in this scenario if looking through the lense of 2022 sb or bust. However, next year that would leave us with an injury prone cmc and whomever we could scrounge up (that still admittedly might be better than moss) to go with Cook. 

I dunno. 

13 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Don't think so.  The opt out and dead cap counts against next year.  If we take on his contract, and the opt out option is triggered, that trigger would be under contract with the Bills, not the Panthers.

All guarantees stay with the team that signed the deal, which is what creates dead cap, they don’t transfer to the bills 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

All guarantees stay with the team that signed the deal, which is what creates dead cap, they don’t transfer to the bills 

Ok, so that's correct.  So as some are suggesting, we should sign a guy for half a season and playoffs and give up a first-round pick for it and then not be able to afford him next year.  Awesome plan.

3 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Do you actually know cmc's contract details?

1 mil this year, the rest going forward non guaranteed. Easy restructure or cut and move on with zero harm to anyone else going forward 

Wait, you're actually suggesting we give up a first round pick to get him and then cut him next year?  LMAOOOO, So we give up a first-round pick to get a player for half a season and playoffs?  And you do understand that signing him doesn't guarantee us winning anything, correct?  You act like the SB is in the bag if we sign him.

I love how the answer from anyone when it comes to signing players with high price tags is always to simply "restructure". Care to explain how that actually works with the team's current and projected cap space next year?

Edited by Billz4ever

2 hours ago, Pabstblueribbon said:

I don't know what Carolina would have to gain from taking Motor, but in the hypothetical situation where we get cmc we can't have both him and Singletary next season. 

Moss can operate as a starting back with Cook sprinkled in if cmc goes down. 

And in the only hypothetical situation that matters right now, winning the SB this season, if Mccaffery gets injured, which is likely….Zack moss would be our starter…..that’s why you would have to keep motor.  Motor has no value to Carolina.  He has loads of value as mccaffery s backup.  

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

And in the only hypothetical situation that matters right now, winning the SB this season, if Mccaffery gets injured, which is likely….Zack moss would be our starter…..that’s why you would have to keep motor.  Motor has no value to Carolina.  He has loads of value as mccaffery s backup.  

So that means not only are we taking On CMC's, contract, we would need to re-sign motor this offseason, which is not going to be anywhere near as cheap as his rookie contract where he's making less than $1M this year. 

Up until now, motor's contract has been a GM's best friend.  That ends this year. Spotrac has his market value at $5M/year. If CMC is assumed to be the starter, we would be paying motor $5M a year to come of the bench.

I think he walks if that's what he wants $$ wise and he's not even starting.

Screenshot 2022-10-13 15.31.17.png

Edited by Billz4ever

2 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

So that means not only are we taking On CMC's, contract, we would need to re-sign motor this offseason, which is not going to be anywhere near as cheap as his rookie contract where he's making less than $1M this year. 

Up until now, motor's contract has been a GM's best friend.  That ends this year. Spotrac has his market value at $5M/year. If CMC is assumed to be the starter, we would be paying motor a couple $5M a year to come of the bench.

I think he walks if that's what he wants $$ wise and he's not even starting.

Screenshot 2022-10-13 15.31.17.png

I’m not talking about the future.  I’m talking about THIS season.  Winning the super bowl THIS SEASON.  The main reason we make a trade to for mccaffery to to help us win the super bowl this season.  You’re not taking this season into account…when it’s the only thing that truly matters once you trade for a Mccaffery.  

The dude gets hurt a lot. We need a solid insurance policy. Moss is not that.  Same

can be said for Cook from what we’ve seen so far.  

of we trade for cmac, we’d be fools to trade motor.  He has no value to Carolina

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m not talking about the future.  I’m talking about THIS season.  Winning the super bowl THIS SEASON.  The main reason we make a trade to for mccaffery to to help us win the super bowl this season.  You’re not taking this season into account…when it’s the only thing that truly matters once you trade for a Mccaffery.  

The dude gets hurt a lot. We need a solid insurance policy. Moss is not that.  Same

can be said for Cook from what we’ve seen so far.  

of we trade for cmac, we’d be fools to trade motor.  He has no value to Carolina

Even if we sign him, there's no guarantee we win anything. People are even suggesting we give up a 1st rounder to get him. Not to mention, he's due $12M in base salary next season.

Sounds like people are ready to sell the team's future and put us into salary cap hell to sign an oft injured RB.

Edited by Billz4ever

8 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Even if we sign him, there's no guarantee we win anything. People are even suggesting we give up a 1st rounder to get him. Not to mention, he's due $12M in base salary next season.

Sounds like people are ready to sell the team's future and put us into salary cap hell to sign an oft injured RB.

Some people are.  Some people aren’t.  Doesn’t really matter.   I don’t think there’s much chance Beane would part with a 1st or 2nd for him.  Maybe a 3rd.  

My only point was, if we trade for him, trading motor in the deal makes zero sense.  For either team. 

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Some people are.  Some people aren’t.  Doesn’t really matter.   I don’t think there’s much chance Beane would part with a 1st or 2nd for him.  Maybe a 3rd.  

My only point was, if we trade for him, trading motor in the deal makes zero sense.  For either team. 

My only point was signing CMC and keeping motor, makes this off season and trying to re-sign our other FA's on this huge list will make it even more of a nightmare than it's already going to be.

Screenshot 2022-10-13 16.17.03.png

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billz4ever said:

My only point was signing CMC and keeping motor, makes this off season and trying to re-sign our other FA's on this huge list will make it even more of a nightmare than it's already going to be.

Screenshot 2022-10-13 16.17.03.png

Who cares about this off season?  Motor is likely gone no matter what.  What does trading him accomplish? He can help us win a super bowl THIS year. Or is next years super bowl your focus? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I hear what you are saying, having the insurance policy.  But Devin does make a lot of sense for Carolina.  They still need someone to run the ball this year and Devin comes off the books after the end of the year.  So IF these talks are real in terms of Car wanting Devin and a 2nd, its certainly because they get a solid RB back for this season that won't be on the cap next season.  

I still have doubts we trade for CMC anyway, but if we did and included Devin then I would be ok with it.  But like you, for the same reasons, I would prefer to keep Devin for insurance reasons.  

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Who cares about this off season?  Motor is likely gone no matter what.  What does trading him accomplish? He can help us win a super bowl THIS year. Or is next years super bowl your focus? 

So mortgage the future for a maybe.

See the two names on the top of our free agent list?  They are more important pieces to this team than CMC will ever be and if signing CMC means we can't afford to sign both of them, signing CMC would be an epically stupid move.

3 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

So mortgage the future for a maybe.

See the two names on the top of our free agent list?  They are more important pieces to this team than CMC will ever be and if signing CMC means we can't afford to sign both of them, signing CMC would be an epically stupid move.

They can cut McCaffrey for free after the season if it's really that serious.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.