Christian McCaffrey rumors

Steel City Mafia

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We tried trading for Miller, that fell through, so we drafted 2 DEs. And then still brought in Miller when he was available.

I'm thinking same here. We've called on CMC before, no deal, drafted Cook. That doesnt stop us from bringing in CMC. If anything, given how McD works, it makes it more likely since he likes having those vet tutors. And given how Beane works, he doesnt take 1 or even 2 players as being the solution. He likes to throw numbers at the problem areas.

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We tried trading for Miller, that fell through, so we drafted 2 DEs. And then still brought in Miller when he was available.

I'm thinking same here. We've called on CMC before, no deal, drafted Cook. That doesnt stop us from bringing in CMC. If anything, given how McD works, it makes it more likely since he likes having those vet tutors. And given how Beane works, he doesnt take 1 or even 2 players as being the solution. He likes to throw numbers at the problem areas.

Agreed.  The idea of a CMC, Cook and Moss backfield for the next two years is a perfect set up for our offense. Lord knows we don’t run the ball so add more pass catchers to the mix.  Having CMC and Cook on the field at the same time would put so much stress on other teams linebackers that it would be nearly impossible to defend.  I’m all for it but the only way I see is giving up a second rounder is if Carolina is eating a large portion of that salary. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mynamemike said:

Agreed.  The idea of a CMC, Cook and Moss backfield for the next two years is a perfect set up for our offense. Lord knows we don’t run the ball so add more pass catchers to the mix.  Having CMC and Cook on the field at the same time would put so much stress on other teams linebackers that it would be nearly impossible to defend.  I’m all for it but the only way I see is giving up a second rounder is if Carolina is eating a large portion of that salary. 

There's nothing to eat.

His cost to the Bills this year would only be $600k. He has no guaranteed money left on his contract, so he is ripe for a restructure. And he has to know he isnt getting that $12M on the open market.

If we got him for a 4th, I'd say keep him as a 1 year rental and dump him. But a 2nd or 2nd/Singletary would require we get a restructure in place before the trade and give him something like a 2yr/$15M extension.

We could get him pretty cheap either way.

• Thank you (+1) 3

3 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Singletary and a 6th for CMC? Do you have any idea how entirely unrealistic and insane this is?

Maybe the Panthers will offer us Baker Mayield and a 3rd rounder for Josh Allen 🤣

3 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

CMC is a 5th Round for me...nothing else. If it's Moore and CMC then Moss and a 4th is fine...but, we have WRs for the long-term. We need a rental WR for depth, a rental Safety for depth due to Hyde, and then an upgrade at RB - not a long term solution at RB because I think Cook is the man for the future. IMHO, we don't spend capital on a RB who is on the down slope of his career at a position that is quite replaceable and shouldn't require significant cost. 

2 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

i know it's unrealistic. but that is the value i place on our need for cmc. not the value of cmc but our need of.

we do not need him. and he would be lucky to get to buffalo.

IMO it;s not that insane at all.  Look at most mid season trades, basically return about 30 cents on the dollar.  Add to that in general teams don't like parting with high draft picks in any trades.  Don't think it's that out of line.  Maybe Carolina gets a little better return than this, but I'll bet in the end these offers aren't that far off.

If I were Carolina I'd more ask for Cook than Singletary as more years left on cheap rookie contract too.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

IMO it;s not that insane at all.  Look at most mid season trades, basically return about 30 cents on the dollar.  Add to that in general teams don't like parting with high draft picks in any trades.  Don't think it's that out of line.  Maybe Carolina gets a little better return than this, but I'll bet in the end these offers aren't that far off.

If I were Carolina I'd more ask for Cook than Singletary as more years left on cheap rookie contract too.

I think you need to go back and look at past mid season trades, if anything the price is higher. 

Mohammed Sanu was traded for a 2nd rounder.

32 year old Von Miller a pending free agent,  was dealt for 2nd and 3rd round picks

Jalen Ramsey cost two 1sts and a 4th

Minkah Fitzpatrick cost a 1st

A washed out useless Kenyon Drake was dealt for a 6th that could be upgraded to a 5th and you think CMC will go for that? 

You guys need to get serious with what players cost. 

32 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

I think you need to go back and look at past mid season trades, if anything the price is higher. 

Mohammed Sanu was traded for a 2nd rounder.

32 year old Von Miller a pending free agent,  was dealt for 2nd and 3rd round picks

Jalen Ramsey cost two 1sts and a 4th

Minkah Fitzpatrick cost a 1st

A washed out useless Kenyon Drake was dealt for a 6th that could be upgraded to a 5th and you think CMC will go for that? 

You guys need to get serious with what players cost. 

WR, pass rusher , elite DB… apples to oranges here. RB just not a premiere position in NFL anymore. 

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

So we tried in 2021 offseason to trade for miller then drafted 2 guys.  Then signed him in 2022.

So by the same comparison we would sign CMC in 2023, no?

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Cmc is more than an elite rb imo…as long as he can stay healthy that is which is definitely a risk 

It definitely is. He’s an elite player, just at a somewhat devalued position in todays game. That has an effect on value. 

13 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

WR, pass rusher , elite DB… apples to oranges here. RB just not a premiere position in NFL anymore. 

First off, that doesn't matter, the point i was rersponding to is that in season trades are somehow pennies on the dollar, they are not. 

But as for the RB point... It is still a premier position if you can catch the football, which CMC does, and he can line up in the slot and play boosting his value further. 

It isn't that RB isn't a premier position but rather the shelf life of RBs is much shorter than other positions. So teams are not as willing to make investments into a short shelf life. 

CMC is one of the elites that is more than just a RB. However he has been incredibly injury prone the last 2 seasons and carries a ton of risk. He also has a ton of value.

27 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

First off, that doesn't matter, the point i was rersponding to is that in season trades are somehow pennies on the dollar, they are not. 

But as for the RB point... It is still a premier position if you can catch the football, which CMC does, and he can line up in the slot and play boosting his value further. 

It isn't that RB isn't a premier position but rather the shelf life of RBs is much shorter than other positions. So teams are not as willing to make investments into a short shelf life. 

CMC is one of the elites that is more than just a RB. However he has been incredibly injury prone the last 2 seasons and carries a ton of risk. He also has a ton of value.

How much more value is CMC the player than our current RBs - this year?  How many yards per carry?  Even at 1 yard additional per carry (which is VERY generous considering he is averaging 4.5 right now and 4.6 for his career), and 15 carries per game (also VERY generous in our offense) that totals out to 180 yards (12 games, 15 carries for an additional 15 total yards vs. current).  

Our running backs have secured 29/38 targets for 209 yards.  76% catch and 5.5 yards per target.

CMC has secured 26/35 targets for 188 yards.  74% catch and 5.37 yards per target.

I assume some of that is that carolina is extra lousy on offense this year, and probably the case.  But its also his 6th season, he's coming off multiple injuries in the last 2, and is rocking an injury this year as well.  

CMC is a running back, so lets not talk about his hypothetical slot value as we have no tangible evidence to suggest he'd be a better option there than McKenzie/Shakir.  You can flex him out wide like you do with anyone else, but it isn't going to be what he does frequently.  

The ONLY way I see this as a move you make - is if you think he is the key piece to put you over the edge in a playoff scenario.  The value above the current backs doesn't seem to be there extrapolated over a full year.  Beyond that, we haven't seen Cook's best football by any means - and he could be very good.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

I get the point, I just disagree ( maybe) on the value. Yes a lot of unrealistic suggestions on this board. I don’t think he fetches a 2nd  if moved though. It won’t be a 6th either : that’s ridiculous. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I get the point, I just disagree ( maybe) on the value. Yes a lot of unrealistic suggestions on this board. I don’t think he fetches a 2nd  if moved though. It won’t be a 6th either : that’s ridiculous. 

Agreed, his value is very tricky.  If he had a big base salary or something then i could see the value being lower, but his salary for 2022 is very low.  There is nothing to really motivate the trade now for that reason.  Why not trade him next year when everyone has cap space and you have multiple bidders?  A team might overbid because they feel they need the player or something, but you're as likely to get similar value in the offseason.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue

12 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Agreed, his value is very tricky.  If he had a big base salary or something then i could see the value being lower, but his salary for 2022 is very low.  There is nothing to really motivate the trade now for that reason.  Why not trade him next year when everyone has cap space and you have multiple bidders?  A team might overbid because they feel they need the player or something, but you're as likely to get similar value in the offseason.  

I dont know the answer to this so I'm asking everyone: If they trade him now, does that mean his dead cap hits this year and comes off the books next year? As opposed to waiting to trade him until next year, and they get hit with the dead cap during their rebuild?

Additionally, trying to trade him now when he is only owed $600k is easier to do than next year when he is owed $12M. I think more teams have $600k now than will have $12M for a RB next year.

What’s the deal with the Motor talk?  People really think carolina would have any interest in an expiring rb rookie contract?  He’s a good player, but has no value to them after this year…..and this year, they’re tanking.  Moss makes more sense than motor.  

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

What’s the deal with the Motor talk?  People really think carolina would have any interest in an expiring rb rookie contract?  He’s a good player, but has no value to them after this year…..and this year, they’re tanking.  Moss makes more sense than motor.  

Why would they want motor when they have Blackshear?!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont know the answer to this so I'm asking everyone: If they trade him now, does that mean his dead cap hits this year and comes off the books next year? As opposed to waiting to trade him until next year, and they get hit with the dead cap during their rebuild?

Additionally, trying to trade him now when he is only owed $600k is easier to do than next year when he is owed $12M. I think more teams have $600k now than will have $12M for a RB next year.

It won't fully front load the cap hit - as far as i can tell.  They would lose the remaining base salary off the books, and the bonus would be dead money.

2022 cap hit with him: $8,785,750

2022 cap hit if they trade: $7,750,750    

2023 cap hit from trade: $18,352,250

If they trade him in the offseason they can do it after June and do the same thing - 7.75 in 2023 and the rest in 2024.  

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Totally. Singletary being involved in a trade is a no go. Beyond the fact that he's one of the most beloved guys in the locker room and you don't want to mess with locker room chemistry right now - CMC is not going to be an every down back. And he's quite possibly the most injury prone RB (or even player) in the NFL. 

If we made a move for CMC with Singletary on the roster and Christian were to go down, no harm no foul. But if he were to go down and we moved Singletary as part of the deal, we'd be left with Zack Moss, James Cook, and Duke Johnson down the stretch. Woof.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.