Was the 98 yard TD to Gabe Davis, the best long throw of Allen’s career?

Einstein

His most difficult (impossible) throws are the ones where he's running full speed to his left and throws the 35 yd laser beam  to a toe drag swag catch. Diggs vs the Cards, and several to Davis come immediately to mind. I've never seen anyone be able to make that throw repeatedly.

I think the Davis 75 yarder against KC in the playoffs was his best where the ball almost looked like it was levitating above the ground it was thrown so perfectly and dropped right into his hands...the one to Diggs against Indy in the playoffs was really good too.

Edited by Big Turk

The 31 yard pass to open the second quarter he threw to Diggs vs Texans last season was one of the sickest plays I’ve ever seen where he rolled left after a play action and was forced to reverse the field to his right while making two defenders look absoulety silly and then fired a strike downfield to Diggs on the right sideline.  You have to see it from the all 22 footage to really appreciate it.  

Edited by ChrisWatson#21

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

That throw where he moved into the pocket and got smashed by the Jags and hit Robert Foster for a TD still remains to me Josh's best. 

This one right here. When you have multiple defenders about to tackle you, and the QB knows it, it just makes the throw that much more impressive. This was what, 2018? 2019? It still remains my favorite, gonna be hard to top this one.

So much subjectivity to these things but throws that are made when one or more free pass rushers are bearing down on him deserve an extra bit of appreciation.  Some QBs will turtle before the hit is made, some back pedal (it hurts less) but fail to put enough on the throw (ex. Lamar 8 days ago) or maybe the bravest will stand there and take the hit to make a play.  Josh steps into the hit as he slides forward to deliver a good throw.  Not many do that.

2 hours ago, BearNorth said:

Actually watching the replay Josh threw the ball from his own 32, and Davis and Minkah get their hands on the ball at the 6, so 62 [18+44] yards in the air, with the runner and db in full stride.

A machine calculating all vectors and factors could not have thrown that more precisely. No wonder commentators keep calling Allen a cyborg. I mean, in that throw, we saw the apotheosis of what a human being is capable of. 

3 minutes ago, finn said:

A machine calculating all vectors and factors could not have thrown that more precisely. No wonder commentators keep calling Allen a cyborg. I mean, in that throw, we saw the apotheosis of what a human being is capable of. 

vectors, factors, precisely, cyborg, apotheosis, you are raising the reading level of this site immeasurably.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

I always loved the one as a rookie vs the Jags, just because he was being hit simultaneously by 3 or 4 players as he flicked it to Foster

This will always be Allen's best throw to me.  It would take a miracle throw, or the SB winning throw to top it.  Just got crushed while he threw it and hit Foster perfectly to where only he could catch it.  

That was the moment I knew Allen could become the real deal

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

I just re-watched this play and can’t believe how incredible it is.

When Allen releases this ball, Gabe is covered by two defenders. He has a defender in front of him and a defender next to him. 

And he is throwing into the wind!

Allen threw this with such perfect anticipation. It literally could not have been thrown better.

This is the moment Allen threw the ball:

4-DA74649-767-A-4-CD0-B69-B-0-DBA8872-B3

Here is the ALL-22 sideline view and you can see Allen about to release it.

FAFCC6-F2-8-D10-4-D7-C-A99-D-1-E681211-D

In my opinion, only the deep pass to Foster (2018?) as Allen was getting hit is close to this. This was perfection.

The best long throw by Allen will forever be that bomb to Forster where he had 3 people draped over him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Virgil said:

This will always be Allen's best throw to me.  It would take a miracle throw, or the SB winning throw to top it.  Just got crushed while he threw it and hit Foster perfectly to where only he could catch it.  

That was the moment I knew Allen could become the real deal

Yes, and yes.  

That WAS THE MOMENT!  And that moment sustained me through the rest of that season, then the off-season, etc. etc.  Years later, now we have many many to choose from and debate the merits of, but this IS THE FIRST ONE.

Not just an unbelievable throw under crazy duress, either…what a grab by Foster! And the exultant pinwheels with his ball hand…. I will never be able to watch it w/o goosebumps…

Forgot about this one but I think this one almost HAS to be it in terms of best throw...I mean seriously...he escapees the pocket, stiff arms a DL to the ground, gets to the sideline and throws a perfectly placed missile to Diggs for a TD while being tackled Out of Bounds by LB Quincy Williams.  Is there another QB EVER who makes that play?  Allen literally throws this ball while he is sideways in the air.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.