Slow is smooth...smooth is fast

Long Suffering Fan

When I see Isaiah run, he looks fast, almost frenetic.

When I see Shakir run, he looks smooth...and then he gets the corner or somehow covers more ground than I expect.  I know his 40 time is great, but he is faster than he looks.  It is a good sign that he plays fast.  The other thing that stuck out to me was that, despite the drop, he has shown the ability to make difficult catches.

However, he has had a relatively small body of work with the Bills, so I decided to re-watch his highlights from last year.  I'm sure I watched them already around draft time, but you know how that is when you are consuming a lot of content and this 5th rounder is just a name at that point.  Lots of people have good college highlights and it doesn't translate.  Watching them now meant more to me.  These highlights are over 7 minutes long.  If you don't have the time, watch the next 2 plays at 55 seconds and the next 2 plays at 2:47.  I think this rook is going to be good.  

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

When I see Isaiah run, he looks fast, almost frenetic.

When I see Shakir run, he looks smooth...and then he gets the corner or somehow covers more ground than I expect.  I know his 40 time is great, but he is faster than he looks.  It is a good sign that he plays fast.  The other thing that stuck out to me was that, despite the drop, he has shown the ability to make difficult catches.

However, he has had a relatively small body of work with the Bills, so I decided to re-watch his highlights from last year.  I'm sure I watched them already around draft time, but you know how that is when you are consuming a lot of content and this 5th rounder is just a name at that point.  Lots of people have good college highlights and it doesn't translate.  Watching them now meant more to me.  These highlights are over 7 minutes long.  If you don't have the time, watch the next 2 plays at 55 seconds and the next 2 plays at 2:47.  I think this rook is going to be good.  

I agree and would like to see him involved more in the passing game at the expense of Lil Dirty. I'd like to see McKenzie doing more jet sweeps and gadget things. Khalil seems to be a better YAC receiver

My favorite pick in the draft by a wide margin.  I thought he was the top WR on the board when we drafted James Cook and I would’ve been happy if we had taken him with that pick.  He’s a very good WR that slipped in the draft based on his 29 inch arm length.  I think he’ll be our starting slot WR as soon as this season but most likely 23-25.  Future fan favorite and core player.  

Home run draft pick 

• Like (+1) 3

I watched Shakir's highlight video the night before training camp started and I got very excited. He had a good TC, I thought.

The first game he played he looked shaky, especially his blocking.

Since then the switch is turned on. He looks smooth, silky smooth. 

• Like (+1) 1

Shakir is more "squatty" than McKenzie in terms of body and as such looks almost more like an RB when he catches the ball and runs with it than a WR. Definitely going to be a YAC monster for us and I can see him starting to take more and more of McKenzie's snaps on offense as the season goes on.

Not because McKenzie isn't a good player...he is.  Just because Shakir has a chance to be special.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I agree and would like to see him involved more in the passing game at the expense of Lil Dirty. I'd like to see McKenzie doing more jet sweeps and gadget things. Khalil seems to be a better YAC receiver

I think Mckenzie getting more jet and motion snaps can help fix some of the issues in the run game.  Not every time, but the occaisional mckenzie pitch/handoff has to keep them honest on that motion.  Might help open up some cutback lanes for the backs. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Shakir is more "squatty" than McKenzie in terms of body and as such looks almost more like an RB when he catches the ball and runs with it than a WR. Definitely going to be a YAC monster for us and I can see him starting to take more and more of McKenzie's snaps on offense as the season goes on.

Not because McKenzie isn't a good player...he is.  Just because Shakir has a chance to be special.

6'0" 190 vs 5'8" 175. Shakir is a bigger target for Josh running the crossers and like you said "squatty", thicker, RB type with the ball in his hands. Love McKenzie, but it's about upgrading

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I think there is a good chance that Shakir is a significantly better WR than McKenzie.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

35 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Not that our offense has been subpar by any means in 2022, but I think it's clear that it can be even better with McKenzie in that gadget role

Especially with opening up run lanes and forcing defenses to respect speed to the outside - which haven't really had to do too much this year

Maybe defenses not respecting the deep speed is a good thing; Gabe’s YPC is in the high 20s. 

13 minutes ago, Process said:

I think there is a good chance that Shakir is a significantly better WR than McKenzie.

I most certainly wouldn't be upset if this comes to fruition, but at this exact moment I would give the edge to McKenzie just based on his experience, and the fact his speed MUST be respected.  His presence alone adds another dimension to the offense with his lighting fast speed.  

However, I will say Shakir looked very good yesterday, and agree with those who talk about how fluid and smooth he looks with the ball in his hands.  Loved his concentration on that TD catch, because in my opinion, that wasn't an easy catch especially with the defender in the position he was in. 

I love Shakir's awareness on the field. He goes up for balls and simultaneously contorts his body to protect himself and secure the catch. You saw McKenzie catch a 2nd down pass near the 1st down and didn't pick it up because tried to make more happen as opposed to just getting the first. I think that's a play you'd see Shakir make.

28 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

I love Shakir's awareness on the field. He goes up for balls and simultaneously contorts his body to protect himself and secure the catch. You saw McKenzie catch a 2nd down pass near the 1st down and didn't pick it up because tried to make more happen as opposed to just getting the first. I think that's a play you'd see Shakir make.

These posts are THE worst.  It’s also a play that we’ve seen Mckenzie make in the past.  You’re talking about one moment of time.  One play.  One time.  

You saw Shakir have a ball go right through his hands and hit him in the shoulder. I think that’s a play you’d see dirty make.  That one time…..  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.